Sign in to follow this  
Jay

My blending is blotchy

I'm painting flesh tones and it's coming out blotchy. Any suggestions on how to get those buttery smooth blends?

The specific reaper color is "Rosy Flesh."

I'm mixing the paint with water to thin it down but I get rings and blotches.

Too much water? Too little? Should I be using flow improver instead of water?

Should I paint everything the highlight color and darken it or work the reverse direction?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Rings and blotches sounds like it's too thin, but it could also be that your brush is holding too much liquid.  When you pick up paint in the bristles, try unloading it off some paper towel or the side of the palette before using it.  Ideally you want damp paint left in the hairs, not really wet, and this should be easier to control.  It may be a combination of things, so try unloading the brush and also thinning it a bit less.  Working light to dark or dark to light probably isn't a factor here, the paint is just doing stuff you don't want it to.  

• Like 6

I have found that thinning some of the lighter colors causes blotching or chalkiness. Try getting some glaze medium instead of thinning with water. It helped me.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Pochi said:

I have found that thinning some of the lighter colors causes blotching or chalkiness. Try getting some glaze medium instead of thinning with water. It helped me.

I have a bottle of craft paint blending gel. I'll try it and see if it helps.

• Like 2

I’m still learning how to blend, and I get this problem too.  Here it is on top of this guy’s head - I was trying to layer in some of the highlight towards the front of his head and ended up with a tide line:

DAEC4F31-C3F4-47F5-8BA1-6835F53F0B5C.thumb.jpeg.57da754e51e9d6c930823d781382db80.jpeg

In this case (and this is usually my problem) I had too much thin paint in the brush.  I try to get most of it off on the palette, but then I also test on my thumbnail to make sure the brush won’t dump a puddle as soon as it touches the mini.

Using a smaller brush minimizes the chance of it just because it holds less liquid.

@Pochi I should try that too to keep the viscosity a bit higher.  I think some painters reduce opacity by adding brush-on sealer.

Edited by rubegon
  • Like 3

If you're using Reaper paint you might be able to use it without thinning, just shake/stir very well.

Wipe the brush so you don't use too much.

Then the next layer you can start glazing with thinned paints.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm painting flesh tones and it's coming out blotchy. Any suggestions on how to get those buttery smooth blends?

I assume you are layering not blending.

If you are blending: wet, seems like the paint dries to fast, flow improver might indeed be the answer, or not water it down so much.

If you are feathering: If you use a strongly watered down paint and add more water to feather the paint dispersion might break and create splotches, thin you paint less to begin with.

Assuming layering from here on.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm mixing the paint with water to thin it down but I get rings and blotches.

You put on too much paint, if you have a hard time controlling this then there  is  too much paint in the brush.

This will also take longer to dry and layering will be slow.

To prevent that wipe of the excess paint on something. If you use a paper towel dampen it, if it is dry it will suck out too much paint (likely) or only touch it litely.

When you do this you will likely find that you apply less paint in a single layer and  that you do not have to thin it so much, see next point.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Too much water? Too little? Should I be using flow improver instead of water?

Water is fine.

If the layer covers too much .. too little water.

If you need  20 layers ... too much water.

Try the above on a newspaper and see how it covers the type, also let it dry, the opacity will increase when it dries.

Flow improver is not need here at all, if you find that you do not like the consistency of watered down paint you can thin it with medium.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Should I paint everything the highlight color and darken it or work the reverse direction?

Personal preference really, you can also go from midtone and layer down and up.

I like to  start dark and layer up, this way I have the easier accessible high parts of the mini to paint.

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 2

Mostly what @Pochi said. Blotchiness usually means that the paint is breaking, which means that the concentration of acrylic monomers is too low for them to polymerize evenly. The result is that they polymerize in smaller areas that don't connect, which gives you that blotchy look. And as @buglips*the*goblin mentioned, too much paint can result in pooling, which means you don't have any control over where you're actually putting the paint, because there's enough paint to flow on the surface of the figure.

Adding medium instead of some of the water will increase the concentration of plastic monomers and allow more even polymerization, but I would recommend not using a gel medium. Instead, look for an acrylic fluid matte medium or even an airbrush medium (Golden and Liquitex are pretty easy to find in Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the US, and you can get more than you are ever likely to need for around $9 - $15 or so, depending on size and company. (If you have Reaper's Brush-On Sealer (matte), Gloss Sealer (gloss) or Wash Medium, you can use those, but if you don't already have them, I'd get the artists' versions instead.)

• Like 3

I've also had issues with Rosy Skin being chunkier than other paints for me. It doesn't even base coat well imo. Rosy Shadow was fine, not Rosy Skin.

I agree with what others have said about using mediums though; it has helped me on pale colors in general.

• Like 4

The local store had a bottle of Vallejo Glaze medium. Night and day difference!  Thank all of you for the great advice  :)

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sulka
      Hey there, I'm very new to sculpting, and i was hoping for some advice in removing the "seams" that show up when you add a new blob of greenstuff onto your model, I've been using Vaseline, and a small slightly rounded steel dental tool for the bulk of my sculpt, i can get most of the height difference to go away, but the seam is still visible, I'm mostly trying to blend it into other soft green stuff underneath it, i don't have too much trouble blending a soft layer into a cured layer,  any advice, tips or techniques 

Also, I appreciate all the great tips I've already found on the forum, its saved me from having to do a lot of trial and error on my own
    • By Corporea
      EDITED: I tried to fix the pics since the originals were on photobucket.  Apologies if they're a bit off!

Ok, face painters!  Have you always wondered how to get nice smooth skin blend?  I'm going to do my best to take you step by step through a face.  I could probably be persuaded to also move on to other skin areas, but let's start simple.  Now, while snapping photos I realized this blending is not going to be as neat and clean as I usually like it because the photoing process did interfere with a few layers.  But, we'll get it smooth in the end!  Are you ready?!

First things first: A large model, to better illustrate what we're doing!  And our materials.

We have Yephima, cloud giantess, a W&N #2, and RMS paint!  I used fair skin as my flesh color, and I'm going to shade with porcelain rose and spattered crimson and highlight with pure white.  This should give us a nice warm flesh tone.  I'll also use walnut brown on the eyes.  After snapping this, I also realized I wanted blue eyes- so I added ashen blue for the iris.  Porcelain is a retired color.  You can sub punk rock pink or just mix spattered with white and it'll work just fine.  But I had it, and I like it, and if I keep using it, maybe reaper will bring it back!

1. Step 1: basecoat the face with fair skin.

Hey!  My model has a little face blemish!  Oh no!  What can I do to fix  this?  Never fear, face painters!  Just take a little bit of brush-on sealer and cover the blemish with a nice layer, and it will smooth out.  You can then put another layer of basecoat on top.  I did a total of 3 layers of flesh, mainly because I forgot to wash this model and I had some adherence issues on the chest.

2. Step 2: The eyes!

Line with walnut.  Doesn't have to be perfect.  You can always touch up with flesh.  Paint the sclera white.   Pure white probably isn't as good as linen or leather white, but I'm trying to limit our palette.  Add the iris- ashen blue, as you can see.  Here's where we pick the direction of gaze and try to make the eye "look" in the same direction.  Takes some practice to figure our what works and what you like.  Again, if paint goes where you don't want it, just touch up.  Hmmn... I could have sworn I took one with just the blue... at any rater, after the blue is down add the walnut brown pupil.  Then dot the pupil with white.  Sorry, that back eye is hard to see.  Usually there's an easy eye and a hard eye.  Some people start with the hard eye.  I start with the easy eye, so at least one will look the way I want!

3. Step 3: Breathe.  Don't forget to breath again now that the eyes are done!

4. Step 4: Shading.

This is a lot messier because I'm pausing to photo- sorry!  First I lay down a thin glaze of spattered crimson all the way to the edge of the walnut, then clean the brush and just smooth the edge out using a damp brush and some feathering type strokes.  Thin is better.  See how nice and translucent this layer is?  You can easily see the flesh underneath.

I went back in with a thin glaze of my flesh to reclaim some of that cheekbone from the shadow.  Then proceeded to put some crimson on the side of the nose and smooth it out.

I really tried to catch each specific step.  But- you can see how thin the layer is, then how it smooths with a damp brush.   I usually do a few layers of this and reclaim my flesh with a thin glaze if I feel I have too much shadow tone.  The crimson will mesh nicely with the walnut so that it looks like she has nice intense Maybelline lashes!  Er- probably don't want quite this much contrast with a male face.  If I were doing this on a male model, I'd pick something like ruddy brown to line the eyes.

More soon!

• By droptablestar
      I'm working on shading and highlighting and having a bit of trouble with smaller areas, like muscles. Any tips/advice?

Also, tips on taking good pics of minis are welcome.
    • By Kheprera
      WARNING! HERE THERE BE SECRET SOPHIE SPOILERS! YE HAVE BEEN WARNED!!   Please excuse the crappy phone pictures. It was all I had at the time. I now have access to my mother's camera (my digital is broken) but there are delays getting pictures from it to the computer.   Note: Some of the images are sideways, but if you right click and open in a new tab, they show correctly. Don't know why this is happening...   So here it is, the WIP of my Secret Sophie. It is taking me a while, but that's because I'm putting a lot of work into it. There are a lot of pictures included as I've been taking them along the way, so you can see the progress.   The first thing I did when I received the information on my partner was look up their profile and started looking over their own work and some of their comments. I needed 1) An idea of what kind of mini to do, since they weren't super-clear and 2) What kind of color scheme they'd like. One color seemed to jump out from many of their comments, and that color is what inspired my color scheme.   So blame my partner.   But before I had a color scheme, I had to peruse the Reaper catalog for what mini to paint. A few jumped out at me, and some of them were purchased and will be included in the final box (so they can paint them up), but I finally had a mini that struck me with a very clear image in my head:  
        Along with this mini I wanted a tree. Not just any tree, I needed a tree that was spooky and hanging with Spanish moss, so off to the interwebz!  
        So I had my pictures. But... now what? Well, I decided I wanted the tree up high and the figure lower and a stream of water in between. I had my layout. Toss in some old gravestones, and I was set. Off to my Reaper Order!   But... tree.   Where was I going to get a tree?   Then I remembered recently reading a post by Corporea about tree sculpting. So off to ask questions via PM.    First attempt:
        Too small. So... before I even put greenstuff on it, I made a new armature.
        Better! So off I went. While I was busy sculpting the tree, I was also painting the mini...
        Then I started looking at all my paints. I finally settled on these:  
        So I needed to do my base colors...
        With the initial blocking in done, it's down to blending...
        Then I started freaking out that my colors weren't contrasty enough. That's when I did the black and white image shown before of the colors. Satisfied there was enough contrast, I moved on.   Here is where I am currently:   Still not done, but hope to provide regular updates here as I move along.   Comments and suggestions on this are greatly appreciated as so far this is my best work. I have a lot of cork I'll be using to build up the base, along with all sorts of basing supplies I've been collecting and water effects for the stream.   I was going to mount it on a tile, but have been reconsidering as of late onto a plinth. Here's what I've had:  
        Hope you enjoy the ride with me the rest of the way!   Note: Going to try and fix the sideways picture issue... don't know why that's happening...
    • By MarchHare
      Hey All,

I'm finally happy enough with this one to call it finished.
      This was my first real attempt at blending, and while there is a bit of stepping in some places I think the piece is still better for the attempt.
      I do wish the surface texture was a bit smoother in some places. Perhaps I need to clean my minis better before starting.

All comments and criticism are very welcome.

• Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)