Sign in to follow this  
Squirrelich

Skintone Painting help

I'm painting a set of minis and would like to have a very diverse set of representation in it, the problem is that I am colorblind (not a metaphor, I am physically not able to distinguish between many colors) and am not able to really "know" that I got something right. I've had too many instances where I finished something only to be told sometime later it was not what I expected it to be to not ask before getting started ( once I went a good year before someone told me that the sand I based my minis on was orange, even longer before I realized everyone saw my beastmen being a lot more red than the natural skin tone I was going for :( ). So my request is can I get some recommendation of Reaper Skin tones that would be appropriate to different ethnicities around the world? I'm looking for 5 or so (for budget reasons) and I know they have the skin tones sets, but I'm scared that some are for more fantasy based tones and I won't notice if they are. The flesh wash intrigues me as well as I love washes, but I wouldn't know if it would only work with some skin tones and not others.

thank you for you time and knowledge

Edited by Squirrelich
  • Like 3

• Asian - Golden Skin  Triad
  • Caucasian - Fair Skin Triad
  • African/Afro American - Dark Skin Triad
  • Mediterranean - Tanned Skin Triad
  • Native American / Latin - Bronzed Skin Triad.
  • Like 4

I'd quibble a bit with some of those:

• For Caucasian, I'd use the Tanned Skin triad as a base. The Fair Skin triad is very light-colored. (I actually use Dark Highlight, Tanned Skin, and Fair Shadow as a sort of extended triad.) But in fact the Dark Skin, Tanned Skin, Fair Skin colors make a range that work very well together. The one caveat that I have is that they're a bit less red than I prefer for healthy people. Not the sort of thing that most people notice, though, and you should be fine with anything in that range for generic dark to fair skin.
  • For Mediterranean, I'd start with the Olive Skin triad, with the same caveat that a bit more pink/red (only a very small amount) makes it look better to me.

Bronzed Skin also works very well for Caucasian flesh.

Pretty much anything in the triads mentioned (including the others noted by @Glitterwolf) will work well for natural flesh. None of them is really a fantasy color.

• Like 4

In the Bones colours, Ruddy Flesh works for medium skin tone types (Amerindian perhaps Continental Indian.) Ebony Flesh is a very dark African type skin tone.

Dark Skin triad through Tanned triad through Fair triad are a sort of spectrum of natural human skin tones that work together. So you can start with Dark Skin Highlight as a midtone and use Dark Skin as a shadow and Tanned Shadow as a highlight. (Though I recommend more contrast and going darker and lighter than that, but as a general example.)

• Like 3