Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhantomAquarist

First figure I ever painted

Recommended Posts

Just now, PhantomAquarist said:

Thank you. I'm still a big critic of my own work. I'm sure yours was waaay better than mine. Lol

 

I doubt it since it was painted more than 40 years ago, long before the internet made finding inspiration and help so easy to find!  No good acrylic paints back then either. No, I don't still have any of those vintage figures!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

 

I doubt it since it was painted more than 40 years ago, long before the internet made finding inspiration and help so easy to find!  No good acrylic paints back then either. No, I don't still have any of those vintage figures!

They would have been really cool to see honestly. I have an issue that I can't figure out for my painting style. Whenever I paint. Everything looks blotchy. I don't understand a proper painting style to obtain such seamless paint strokes that don't look raised off the surface. I think a lot of people's work that I see are probably painted with oil paint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PhantomAquarist said:

They would have been really cool to see honestly. I have an issue that I can't figure out for my painting style. Whenever I paint. Everything looks blotchy. I don't understand a proper painting style to obtain such seamless paint strokes that don't look raised off the surface. I think a lot of people's work that I see are probably painted with oil paint.

 

Okay, are you priming?  If so, white or black?  From looking at your figure I'd say you're priming with black and then trying to get good flesh tones and reds over that.  If so, you need to re-coat the areas you want to be light colors with a gray or white color to make it easier to get smooth coats.  Probably easier to start with a white primer and undercoat black areas of armor and such that are going to react better with a dark undercoat.  Reds/yellows tend to be not as opaque as other colors so it can be a real paint to get smooth coats out of them without a good undercoat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

 

Okay, are you priming?  If so, white or black?  From looking at your figure I'd say you're priming with black and then trying to get good flesh tones and reds over that.  If so, you need to re-coat the areas you want to be light colors with a gray or white color to make it easier to get smooth coats.  Probably easier to start with a white primer and undercoat black areas of armor and such that are going to react better with a dark undercoat.  Reds/yellows tend to be not as opaque as other colors so it can be a real paint to get smooth coats out of them without a good undercoat.

 

I didn't think about priming gray. I've been strictly painting back and forth between white and black primer. Also a lot of people are surprised to know for some reason that this wasn't done with any model craft paints. This was straight up Walmart acrylic paint from the art section for my first. Everyone makes a fuss about it. Lol. Now I use better brands.

But I can't wait for the next project I want to try that method out! Thanks! :D

Edited by PhantomAquarist
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the hobby! Some craft paints aren't terrible, but some are pretty bad. Some have really poor coverage, and most have larger particulate sizes, making the paint somewhat thick or grainy. It isn't super critical when you first start, but can certainly become an issue later on as you troubleshoot, "Why doesn't this look as good as I want?" issues.

 

I personally use both black and white primer, frequently called zenithal priming, as it gives a good black and white sketch. It also keeps dark areas dark, and light areas light.

 

Looks good for your first mini - certainly better than my first!

 

The secret to smooth paints is thinning your paints (usually with water) and multiple thin layers instead of fewer thicker ones.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Welcome to the hobby! Some craft paints aren't terrible, but some are pretty bad. Some have really poor coverage, and most have larger particulate sizes, making the paint somewhat thick or grainy. It isn't super critical when you first start, but can certainly become an issue later on as you troubleshoot, "Why doesn't this look as good as I want?" issues.

 

I personally use both black and white primer, frequently called zenithal priming, as it gives a good black and white sketch. It also keeps dark areas dark, and light areas light.

 

Looks good for your first mini - certainly better than my first!

 

The secret to smooth paints is thinning your paints (usually with water) and multiple thin layers instead of fewer thicker ones.

 

Thanks!

When I first started off I didn't learn right away to thin the paint, but I do that now. I've been wanting to do zenithal priming for a while though. :D

Edited by PhantomAquarist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me start by saying I am still a noob. The best advice I got when I started just two years ago is to thin my paints. Yes it takes longer and doesn’t always look good right away so it feels like you’re doing something wrong. But, the finished product looks smoother. (And I still struggle with doing this properly and consistently). Also, keep investing in some paints made for minis, they are much easier to work with. They are spendy compared to Walmart brands but a little goes a long way.

 

Lastly and most importantly, your 1st is way better than my first (or tenth for that matter). Your color choices and the eyes (hardest part for me) are very good for a first mini. Keep it up and share more of your work. This is a very supportive forum.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Peithetairos
      An older miniature I started years ago, but finished recently. I think it was mostly the weapons (shading) and dirty shirt missing. I would say the paint job is average, but I do like the miniature.
       
      I decided to go for a simple, but interesting base, featuring a Nolzur's bottle and Thomarillion barrel. 
       
       


    • By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 



    • By EvilJames
      Yar! Ahoy, lads and lasses, it be that time O' year again! A time for all land lubbers to embrace their inner sea dog and set sail. That's right, it be Talk like a Pirate Day again. 
      So put down yer troubles, and forget all yer squabbles and syntax for a day and lets all raise a cup O' grog or rum in celebration, to all me hearty crew! Arrrr!
       
      I'll be post'n a traditional carol for the day shortly. 
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat.  It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles.  I need a fully functioning 3D boat!  Well, maybe not fully functioning.  But I want to build a cool boat!
       
      I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now.  It's my White Whale project.  Always just on the horizon.  It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase.  One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.
       
      I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies.  I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships.  So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks.  And the result wasn't  bad.  Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.


      It actually turned out rather nice!  To my surprise.  But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.

      The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.

      and the figurehead was designed to be modular.

      However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches.  I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did.  And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.

      Here's the little devil himself.
       
      Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in.  Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting.  I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site.  The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled. 


      There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.

      My hold up now is still those darn masts.  The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts.  The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts.  I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition.  And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails.  Any thoughts?

      Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome!  I'll post back here with any updates.

    • By TaleSpinner
      I got my Mega Bundle for ReaperCon a few days ago.  I was floored by the resin sculpt by Jason Weibe (@GwydionGreen), Dead Men Tell No Tales.  I knew immediately that I wanted to paint it; I didn't know though that I wanted to paint it immediately, but I guess I did, as I couldn't stop thinking about it.
       
      Originally, I was going to do it as a challenge, where-by I could only use the paints included in the Mega Bundle...but I have had a change of heart.  I had started doing just this, but the lack of yellow choices (Rattlesnake Leather was it) really limited what I could do with mixing, and this is too nice of a sculpt to give it anything but my best.
       
      Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
       
      I started by cleaning everything and removing the mold lines. The boat was pretty bad and I was forced to remove some of the runes and make it look like weathering to get the mold lines off.  The rest was really good though.
       

       
      Then I primed and started painting.  I primed it with Army Painter White.  It went on a bit grainy.  Maybe my can is getting old.  At first, I didn't think it was too bad, but after painting the stone of the throne and the wood of the ship, I got really discouraged.  The paint wasn't adhering to the primer right; it was like painting unwashed Bones with diluted paint.  It took me an hour just to paint what you see here.  Second, the rough texture was really showing up.
       

       
       
      So, right now it is soaking in the Simple Green.  I hope to get that primer off and try again tonight.
       
      Andy
       
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...