Bob Ross with Acrylics

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Since you were working with acrylics, what differences/adjustments did you have to make given their faster drying time vs Bob's wet-on-wet technique with oils?

just tried to work fast.  I didn't want to thin the paints, because it really changed the way they went down. 

It worked fine if I could finish each area quickly,  starting with the furthest distance and working forward.  If I tried to go back and change things (like the sky in #2) 

In that case I had to redo large areas.  Going back and fixing a layer, esp after something was painted in front of it was tricky. 

Approaching it more cautiously, it would make sense to get the sky just right, before starting the horizon.

also doing the thin layer of paint on 1/2 the canvas at a time would likely help.  (the first had black layer, the second white.) 

Next time! 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
9 hours ago, TGP said:

Acrylic Medium might be your friend here. (To get the paint to stay slick/wet longer so you can try some of Bob’s moves.)

this is totally what I need for the thin base later.  also worth experimenting  for the other layers. 

• Like 2