44037 Bergamot Halfling Scout

rachels89

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think your contrast is too extreme. The dynamic range from highlight to shadow is very effective on the figure. And I think that you have captured the directionality and color pretty well in many places.

But the first thing I'm seeing is that your "light" isn't bright enough. When you're painting standard OSL, the Object that is the Source of the Lighting should be the brightest thing in the scene. Everything else is just reflecting that light, so it has to be less bright. Here, the brightest part of the scene is the face of the character rather than the lantern. I'd bring the lantern, particularly the part where the flame would be, all the way up to white and darken the rest of the figure down significantly (highlights and shadows).

The other thing I'm seeing is that there isn't enough fall-off from the parts closest to the light to the parts farther away. Light falls off as the square of the distance from the source.The face here is (say) about one scale foot (30cm) from the lantern, while the feet are perhaps two feet away. That means the feet will get 1/4 as much light as the face, where your figure has them about as bright. (There would also be a shadow from the bottom of the lantern, which would further darken the lower extremities and floor.)

Hope that helps. I think you're very close to a really exceptional OSL effect and look forward to seeing your next figure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't think your contrast is too extreme. The dynamic range from highlight to shadow is very effective on the figure. And I think that you have captured the directionality and color pretty well in many places.

But the first thing I'm seeing is that your "light" isn't bright enough. When you're painting standard OSL, the Object that is the Source of the Lighting should be the brightest thing in the scene. Everything else is just reflecting that light, so it has to be less bright. Here, the brightest part of the scene is the face of the character rather than the lantern. I'd bring the lantern, particularly the part where the flame would be, all the way up to white and darken the rest of the figure down significantly (highlights and shadows).

The other thing I'm seeing is that there isn't enough fall-off from the parts closest to the light to the parts farther away. Light falls off as the square of the distance from the source.The face here is (say) about one scale foot (30cm) from the lantern, while the feet are perhaps two feet away. That means the feet will get 1/4 as much light as the face, where your figure has them about as bright. (There would also be a shadow from the bottom of the lantern, which would further darken the lower extremities and floor.)

Hope that helps. I think you're very close to a really exceptional OSL effect and look forward to seeing your next figure.

That's very helpful! Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'll try to keep these things in mind for my next attempt.

• Like 3