Sign in to follow this  
Mini_Wizard_Studios

Goremaw, The Magma Wurm

47 minutes ago, Darcstaar said:

Excellent color palette.  I like the variation.

3 hours ago, Jellyranger69 said:

Legit.

12 hours ago, ShantyShakin said:

Gore-geous! But really, very beautifully done. So much attention to detail. I love it!

Thank you all! :)

19 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Really solid light sourcing there. This is amazing.

1 hour ago, Iridil said:

Very nice lava effect - especially the mouth!

31 minutes ago, boldfont said:

Okay that is amazing work! I’ve seen this sculpt and wasn’t really interested, but this.... it’s inspirational. 

thank you guys so much! Glad i can inspire ;)

• Like 1

Ia! Shudde-M'ell! 

Magnificent work on this magma wurm! The detail is fantastic, and the touches of pink around the spines really sells it.

• Like 1

@Mini_Wizard_Studios - Can you discuss how you painted his teeth and spines a bit?  I'm also painting Goremaw, and am about to start the bony bits (I have just base coated them in Citadel's Zandri Dust).  Did you dry brush the lighter colors on the tips?  If so, was the brush oriented perpendicular to the tooth/spine you were working on, or pointed straight at the tip, point on?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, Rigel said:

Ia! Shudde-M'ell! 

Magnificent work on this magma wurm! The detail is fantastic, and the touches of pink around the spines really sells it.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

@Mini_Wizard_Studios - Can you discuss how you painted his teeth and spines a bit?  I'm also painting Goremaw, and am about to start the bony bits (I have just base coated them in Citadel's Zandri Dust).  Did you dry brush the lighter colors on the tips?  If so, was the brush oriented perpendicular to the tooth/spine you were working on, or pointed straight at the tip, point on?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight.

Hey there, thank you for the kind words! The teeth were done wit ha base coat of MSP Graveyard Bone, then a light wash of GW Seraphim Sepia about halfway down, pushing the paint the same direction, down into the gums. Then the same thing is done with agrax earthshade, but a quarter way down instead, pushing the paint the same way. Then the line were done with Vallejo Sepia Ink, since it's much stronger. These are known as striations, and I just randomly placed them around the teeth area. I went back in wit ha thinner brush and then intensified the Sepia line, again pushing down towards the gum. I then used the sepia ink around the base of the gum/tooth area. Then I glazed with the Graveyard bone towards the tip to bring everything together. Finally I glazed with ivory to the very tips.

I followed along to this video:

Hobby Cheating 41 - How to Paint Bone Horns (youtube search that)

• Thanks 3