Sign in to follow this  
ced1106

CMON : Zombicide : Night of the Living Dead : Dec 10th, 3pm EST

They're coming to get you, Barbara...

"Night of the Living Dead: A Zombicide Game, a new standalone addition to the Zombicide franchise, will bring two great horror franchises together. The George A. Romero movie set the standard for zombie movies. Meanwhile, Zombicide set the standard for cooperative zombie-fighting games. Both were filled with groundbreaking innovations. Bringing the two together has brought more innovations to bear. In this article, we’re taking a look at some of the new elements in Zombicide that make it a loving homage to the movie that started it all. ... For example, the game’s tiles recreate not only the interior of the house, but also the surrounding land. Fans of the movie will see that the house has been lovingly recreated in detail and they’ll be able to pick out specific elements from the film on the game board. This recreation has been updated with Zombicide’s usual movement system, with different spaces delineated for gameplay. ... The zombies (or, more appropriately, ghouls) have also been reworked to fit a more Night of the Living Dead feel. Zombicide players will recognize the Walkers and Fatties from previous games, however, they will now have to deal with new threats in the form of Breakers and Ghoul Relatives. Yes, Runners and Abominations have been removed from the game! But players shouldn’t breathe a sigh of relief yet. Breakers can, as the name suggests, break through the barricades that the survivors have created. What was once thought a safe haven will no longer be once a Breaker ghoul has its way. Meanwhile, Ghoul Relatives represent characters that the survivors had once known in life. Their appearance will cause mental anguish to the survivors. It’s not easy to have to shoot someone you’ve known and loved. The addition of these two new ghouls will pose different, and arguably more dangerous, types of threats. Using old tactics will not be feasible in these new games. Forget what you know about Zombicide’s main antagonists." https://cmon.com/news/melding-undead-classics-together

Ghouls, btw, were really what these creatures were called. Zombies wasn't used until later. "For anyone that isn't familiar with the classic 1968 film directed by the late George Romero, Night of the Living Dead never uses the word "zombie," referring to the shuffling, virus-infected living dead as "ghouls" (which is more appropriate, given their hunger for human flesh). The association with zombies largely came from the sequel, Dawn of the Dead (1978), which used "zombie" in place of "ghoul" and which was distributed internationally under the title Zombi. ... Perhaps Romero changed the name because he discovered the word "zombie" in the interim. Ghouls were quite popular across the western world for centuries, or at least since Grimm's fairy tales. But zombies are from Haitian voodoo, and were largely unknown to the public at the time." https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/6ntim5/how_did_the_ghouls_from_night_of_the_living_dead/

CMON's FB page has preview pics and a video overview of the game. : https://www.facebook.com/coolminiornot/

Yes, the KS is coming out right after the Zombicide 2nd edition KS, and in the middle of the holiday shopping season. The game's had delays in development (makes sense, with the most game changes I've seen in a Zombicide game) and, iirc, was meant for retail.

And Barbara, evidently, must be the name of my wallet.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

I'm torn on this one. NotLD is my favorite zombie (ghoul) flick and I enjoy Zombicide...but I've got a massive stack of Zombicide stuff on the shelf that doesn't get played much (and I just went in for the 2nd ed KS).

Launching this close to the holidays seems crazy, too.

• Like 2

"Quick, our quarterly earnings are flagging, what can we throw out there that is a quick cash cow?"

"uhh...we tried dumping our dead stock but that has been delayed because of Kevin...the troll one did not do that well...zombies still brings in the whales though....what about another reskinned zombie game? What can we reskin it as this time?"

"How about that old movie we saw the other night..the licence should not be too expensive..."

"But it was in black and white! Boring!"

"But that could be our gimmick! Classic retro horror in black and white is what all the hipsters love these days!"

"oh, yeah... that could do the trick! Retro!"

Edited by Maledrakh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Maledrakh said:

"Quick, our quarterly earnings are flagging, what can we throw out there that is a quick cash cow?"

"uhh...we tried dumping our dead stock but that has been delayed because of Kevin...the troll one did not do that well...zombies still brings in the whales though....what about another reskinned zombie game? What can we reskin it as this time?"

"How about that old movie we saw the other night..the licence should not be too expensive..."

"But it was in black and white! Boring!"

"But that could be our gimmick! Classic retro horror in black and white is what all the hipsters love these days!"

"oh, yeah... that could do the trick! Retro!"

See, now, I'm tempted to get the game and paint the miniatures in greyscale only...

• Like 5

This Kickstarter will be shorter than usual, with all the promos and exclusive content revealed and added to the pledge from the very start.
No additional Stretch Goals or Optional Buys. We will see you tomorrow, 3 pm EST!

So... pre-order. Hope the base game isn't a KSE. Mostly interested in Ben, Barbara, Barbara's ghoul brother, and the kid with the trowel.

My speculation is that, rather than a cash cow, this scheduling may have something to do with a possible delay in the development of Eric Lang's much-anticipated (and previewed many months ago) Ankh boardgame,  the delays in development of Night ("A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever") or even the licensing agreement itself (though I'd think the Romero estate would be more lenient than, say, 20th Century Fox). Night was also announced months ago, and, as said, has both zombie types and scenarios that don't follow the Zombicide formula. As said, this game was supposed to go direct to retail. But do you really know how many copies it would sell -- particularly if it's not as compatible with Zombicide as it may be? One of KS's strengths is that it allows creators to know *much* better how many copies to print, compared to retail, whose "pre-orders" may be placed *after* the print run has been ordered.

Anyway, no, you're no under obligation to buy it, and those of us who have been waiting for the plastic toy version of this cult classic for half an undead century will finally get our easy-to-paint shinies. I think, rather than cash cows, CMON has projects, such as the Kickass boardgame, Wacky Racers, Godfather, and Night of the Living Dead. that are certain to bring in less money than their more popular titles. I think a Black Plague sequel would bring in *much* more money than Night, and would have been easier to develop.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

See, now, I'm tempted to get the game and paint the miniatures in greyscale only...

Ugh, thanks for the awesome idea. Now I want it too. :/

PLEASE don't be expensive.  Christmas is coming and having to choose between extra gifts and a game is going to be hard.  :(

Edited by Shadowphaze

The campaign page has painted greyscale for Romero mode, and full color for Zombicide mode! 

Funding in four minutes, and still looks like it's planned for retail release. So if the KSE's aren't all that important to you (some are only for Zombicide, and weren't in the movie), you should be able to get it at retail at a larger discount and free shipping.

For shear stuffs, Z2 is the better deal. 167 miniatures for $100 plus shipping beats 76 for $80 plus shipping.

I'd post the painted pics, but one of the KSE's is the nekkid ghoul flesh eater. :zombie:

I haven't played Zombicide. Think it would be fun to play with teenagers? The big Z2 Kickstarter didn't really appeal to me; the figures seemed over the top and crass to me ("Fatties?!" -- no thanks). But this more classic approach (loved the Romero movie) seems more interesting to me. 

15 hours ago, Joshinminn said:

Think it would be fun to play with teenagers?

If they're into Ameritrash (throwing dice, rather than non-violent resource management), then, yep.

The game should make retail, without the KSE's. Usually, if I find it on sale, the base game retail is half the KS price plus shipping. 

If shipping is a concern, just pledge $1. Wait for the pledge manager to come out and you will know shipping at that time.