Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

RIP René Auberjonois

Associated Press has confirmed with his son that that Rene Auberjonois, probably known here best for his role as Odo the shapeshifter in Star Treks Deep Space 9, has passed away of lung cancer at the age of 79.

:down:

RIP

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Sad 16

R.I.P.

I met him once at a geek convention in Newfoundland. It was fun to listen of his experience as Odo and other parts he played.

• Like 1

I remember him first, from his role as the alcoholic skeleton in "The Last Unicorn," as well as Clayton Endicott (III) from Benson.  I don't recall specific instances off-hand, but he had a way of popping up in unexpected places.

• Like 2

He was great as Father Mulcahy in the original MASH film, as Clayton on the Benson TV show, and of course as Odo on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

But the main memory that sprang back today was when I took my little girl to see the animated Little Mermaid cartoon, and with some shock, I recognized his voice coming out of the deranged chef towards the end, belting out the song, "Le Poisson, le poisson, how I LOOOOVE le poisson...." before he goes berserk and chases Sebastian the Crab all over the kitchen with a meat cleaver.

And of course the classic exchange from MASH:

FRANK BURNS: "How could a man like Hawkeye Pierce rise to a position of authority in this man's army?"
FATHER MULCAHY: "He was drafted."

Gonna miss that guy.

• Like 6

I loved Rene's performance as Odo, one of my favorite characters in my favorite Star Trek series. He also had a part in the World War Z audiobook that is so great I can still hear it in my mind. I may need to watch some DS9 tonight...

• Like 2