Sign in to follow this  
boldfont

Orc guy the something something orc warlord

I totally haven’t looked up this character’s name. He’s great. He’s an orc. Bones 4. Blah blah blah. 

Anyways, I stopped painting orc-face mc-Orc doodle the orc prematurely out of painting fatigue. I had lots of other shiny new bones to paint. It’s a great sculpt and he deserves respect though. 

So let’s try this! If you’ve got improvements to suggest I’ll implement them and post a new picture. It could be fun and you’ll motivate a fellow nerd to “brush up” and turn a decent job into a great job - which is one place I could use encouragement. You can of course call it done anytime you like, but sometimes you know the figure needs more. This will be a fun exercise.

6EDA58D1-27CB-407D-8453-74F49AEB66BF.jpeg

4364EBEA-FDA5-45DE-850D-52A20A5BD89A.jpeg

• Like 13

I totally haven’t looked up this character’s name. He’s great. He’s an orc. Bones 4. Blah blah blah. 

Anyways, I stopped painting orc-face mc-Orc doodle the orc prematurely out of painting fatigue. I had lots of other shiny new bones to paint. It’s a great sculpt and he deserves respect though. 

So let’s try this! If you’ve got improvements to suggest I’ll implement them and post a new picture. It could be fun and you’ll motivate a fellow nerd to “brush up” and turn a decent job into a great job - which is one place I could use encouragement. You can of course call it done anytime you like, but sometimes you know the figure needs more. This will be a fun exercise.

6EDA58D1-27CB-407D-8453-74F49AEB66BF.jpeg

4364EBEA-FDA5-45DE-850D-52A20A5BD89A.jpeg

• Like 8

Looks good, the shield and horns especially.

For feedback, my suggestion is contrast/tonal variation. Overall it has a lot of dark and desaturated tones. If you took a black and white photo, I would wager that a lot of the values would be in a similar range.

I would pump up the highlights more - the horns on the helmet is a good example of having a wider range of contrast. In fact, you have a higher value range on the base of the mini rather than the mini itself, which pulls attention away from the mini itself.

So, I would add some green, brown, and black spot washes to the base to give it more variation (rock isn't just gray) as well as pull the values down. I would add more highlights top of the helm, and the very tips of the inside corners of the 'facemask'. I personally would add some bright glowing "eyes" just to pull more attention towards the face, but that is just a personal aesthetic.

Introduce more shadows in the upper recesses of the cloak, and add some highlights towards the tips/edges where light would gather.

• Like 1

Can't see any way to improve on the perfection of that shield!

Maybe give the armor a touch of rust; orcs aren't known for maintenance. Good stuff all around.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Auberon
      This is my summer exchange mini for Rainbow Sculptor.  The marching orders were for Bones and something witchy.  I have fallen out of favor with Bones, but Bones Black seems better so I ordered a few of those.  In the end I went with the shaman.  On one hand the fabric was just a large block of color that needed broken up, but on the other the contours made it difficult to do anything too fancy.  Thus she ended up with a simple pattern that I could manage to get into the folds of the fabric.  The skin was mixed from 09658 Christmas Wreath and 09694 Retro Emerald, just because I'd never used them.

• By DragonWyrm
      Now, I have a pile of unpainted stuff. Time to reduce it by some amount. I got all of these from Bones 4, but I think that the rank and file goblins are from the previous kickstarter.
      Since I didn't want to play around with the poses I started experimenting with colour choices. Some classic orange, modern green, royal violet, baby pinks, icy blue and even a grey sorcerer.
      Some other points:
      Batch painted (apart from the experiments) NMM (it really teaches you much when you do it for large amounts of figures, I really love Prussian Blue and wet blending really helps in NMM) Experimented with using Vallejo spray paint: it gets somewhat tacky when it dries for a while, but that disappears when you paint over it with acrylic paint.
      Overall I like the detail on them, but some poses could be more generic for the rank and file goblins. In my personal the large sabre goblin is the worse of, it is a fun and interesting pose, but it only works for 1 goblin. 

Now the photos are not the best (it was getting dark when I got the time to take them. Plus I have yet to make a good photo shoot)

Let us start with Modern Green. The right hand side goblin has one of the better NMM sabres. Currently they have a gloss varnish. 

Royal Violets and Baby Pinks: Both violets and pinks work. Sadly the photo for the violets didn't come out well, so you only get a top down shot of them. 

I also found an old metal miniature at my local hobby store, so I included them here. If anyone knows where it is from I would appreciate if you could tell me: 

Classic Orange: Now my favourite pose from the rank and file goblins is the spear. You can rank them up and they look like a real army! And they have a pose that works for defence, retreat and attack. The photo doesn't really do them justice

Icy Blues and Grey Sorcerer: The sorcerer is a really nice sculpt. He has a nice pet spider on his back. sadly the sun was already pretty low and all other photos didn't come out well. 

I painted the spider as a RedBack. See a lot of them here. 

Armoured Goblins: they are fun, really like those sculpts. There was another armoured goblin in Bones 4  (I previously posted him). I don't think he really fits in with these as a goblin.

• By Gantrell
      Here is my latest. LORD OF THE JUNGLE. 
      I really enjoyed this one. Great sculpt and fun to paint
      As always C&C welcomed

• By Maledrakh
      The third set of humanoids from the Lost Valley Expansion of the Bones 4 kickstarter is the Orcs of the Jade Fire tribe:

Featuring an all-female cast of hard bodied primitives, with abs to break rocks on and buns of bronze. The barbaric splendor of these women rival that of the bodybuilder cast of any 80's Sword and Sorcery movie. Apart from the fact that said 80's movies usually feature male bodybuilders with any females being more of the centrefold variety both in body type and costume budget.
      The burning question would be: what do the male members of the Jade Fire Tribe look like? Do they have the physique of Steve Rogers before or after the serum was administered? Or are they more like bloated ant drones that barely can move while the womenfolk do all the work? Inquiring minds want to know!

44089 Jade Fire Shaman #633

The skin is Citadel Contrast Space Wolves Grey over a greyish white on black zenithal undercoat. Look closely and you will see the spatter pattern a slightly bent airbrush needle tip will leave...I need to buy myself a proper one, the cheap chinese ebay ones I have been using are really not very good at all. Good thing the Vex is coming.

44088 Jade Fire Chieftain #632

aka She-Hulk.  Also the one model in all of the Lost Valley with blatantly metal-looking parts.

44096 Jade Fire Champion #636

44095 Jade Fire Warrior #635

Thirty Five dollars and a six-pack to my name! Time to break out that old Black Flag album again.

44094 Jade Fire Spearman #634

Either the naming of the Bones version of this mini is a bit off  (especially since the metal version is called "Spearmaiden") or this one has the worst case of Moobs I have seen since Meat Loaf's character in Fight Club.

Look, it's the stripper! Wheeee!
      These minis were completed August 4th 2020

Jade Fire Tribe orcs, from the Lost Valley Expansion
      Bones 4 kickstarter, delivered 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Gene van Horne
      Made in Bones Black PVC
      available from reapermini.com
    • By fanguad
      I haven't been painting much Reaper lately, but painted up this beastie for Jimmy The Brush's July community challenge.

Everything on the beast is TMM.

• Who's Online   32 Members, 4 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)