Orc guy the something something orc warlord

I totally haven’t looked up this character’s name. He’s great. He’s an orc. Bones 4. Blah blah blah. 

Anyways, I stopped painting orc-face mc-Orc doodle the orc prematurely out of painting fatigue. I had lots of other shiny new bones to paint. It’s a great sculpt and he deserves respect though. 

So let’s try this! If you’ve got improvements to suggest I’ll implement them and post a new picture. It could be fun and you’ll motivate a fellow nerd to “brush up” and turn a decent job into a great job - which is one place I could use encouragement. You can of course call it done anytime you like, but sometimes you know the figure needs more. This will be a fun exercise.

6EDA58D1-27CB-407D-8453-74F49AEB66BF.jpeg

4364EBEA-FDA5-45DE-850D-52A20A5BD89A.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally haven’t looked up this character’s name. He’s great. He’s an orc. Bones 4. Blah blah blah. 

Anyways, I stopped painting orc-face mc-Orc doodle the orc prematurely out of painting fatigue. I had lots of other shiny new bones to paint. It’s a great sculpt and he deserves respect though. 

So let’s try this! If you’ve got improvements to suggest I’ll implement them and post a new picture. It could be fun and you’ll motivate a fellow nerd to “brush up” and turn a decent job into a great job - which is one place I could use encouragement. You can of course call it done anytime you like, but sometimes you know the figure needs more. This will be a fun exercise.

6EDA58D1-27CB-407D-8453-74F49AEB66BF.jpeg

4364EBEA-FDA5-45DE-850D-52A20A5BD89A.jpeg

• Like 8

Looks good, the shield and horns especially.

For feedback, my suggestion is contrast/tonal variation. Overall it has a lot of dark and desaturated tones. If you took a black and white photo, I would wager that a lot of the values would be in a similar range.

I would pump up the highlights more - the horns on the helmet is a good example of having a wider range of contrast. In fact, you have a higher value range on the base of the mini rather than the mini itself, which pulls attention away from the mini itself.

So, I would add some green, brown, and black spot washes to the base to give it more variation (rock isn't just gray) as well as pull the values down. I would add more highlights top of the helm, and the very tips of the inside corners of the 'facemask'. I personally would add some bright glowing "eyes" just to pull more attention towards the face, but that is just a personal aesthetic.

Introduce more shadows in the upper recesses of the cloak, and add some highlights towards the tips/edges where light would gather.

• Like 1