Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Dawnsfire : the dragon of sunrise. WIP

I decided to go outside the box on dragon colors. 

@Sirithiliel was a great inspiration,  but I don't want to steal her colors directly.  hopefully this one will look as good. 

So here are the colors 1363430312_refsunset.jpg.d7556c1f24ab3e0225e6adbb35691deb.jpg

lots of false starts  found a wing I liked but not a dragon scheme. 

1370210370_falsestarts.jpg.68dbaf794d2a7c5db7799712daafb9b7.jpg

How about a google search on lizards? 

Bother.  nature beat me too it.   well maybe ill modify it a little .... it does look a little sillier than I want. 

908377693_refrencelizard.jpg.35462cb95402a20a0466db9682d5be59.jpg

Final Drawing: 

819334826_refrencedrawing.thumb.jpg.bb23026f66af4ec884163b416bea0126.jpg

Ill go lighter blue on the main body and dark & striped  on the tail

So that's Red liner on the red area, and blue liner on the main body and tail. 

that will give the face a less monotone coloring. 

I want to really try and leave the liner visible between the scales. 

Planning on getting the colors right first then adding thin black glaze to provide shading.   I guess white in half steps for  highlighting. 

most color changes will be when the scale changes.  I'll paint the wings first, as proof of concept. 

Kind of a fun way to spend the day.  the power went off while I was doing crayon drawings.  I didn't notice.  

• Like 15

there has been some creep in colors:  the scales are intended as snowshadow blue with cyan scatter.  so I shifted my target sunset picture to match.

1 wing.jpg

1st.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

more progress today - I dont hate him yet.  the scales seem to be going better.

I was a little worried about my plan for a golden face, but hey that seems to be working as well!  

wifey thinks I should go back the the original colors for the under side of the wings, more magenta/orange less blue.  Ill give it a try - 

my first attempt at wings used those colors but did not look as good as the mostly blue I settled on. 

2nd.jpg

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

more progress today - I dont hate him yet.  the scales seem to be going better.

I was a little worried about my plan for a golden face, but hey that seems to be working as well!  

wifey thinks I should go back the the original colors for the under side of the wings, more magenta/orange less blue.  Ill give it a try - 

my first attempt at wings used those colors but did not look as good as the mostly blue I settled on. 

2nd.jpg

That seems backwards from my thoughts. Although, I guess it depends on timing.

My thoughts are that wings coloration is logical to be an adaptation to blend in with the sky when looking up at a flying dragon. That means the top of the wings would be for something looking down at said dragon. 

The fact that it is a fantasy creature means that real-world logic does not have to apply at all, though.

• Like 5

well scales: 

the first picture is my intended pattern, painted individually.

the second picture was 1 minute of dry brushing. 

I like the drybrush side better. (sigh) 

3rd left.jpg

3rd.jpg

• Like 9

Dragons are the top of the food chain, and magical.  Their coloration doesn’t need to follow logical camouflage considerations.

Great idea, and good work so far.

• Like 2

well I got up at 3am to try some different paint options. 

Why is it only dragons that have that kind of pull on me?  I never get insomnia and decided to paint orcs. 

I decided on a cloudy version of the top of the wing for the underside.  still a work in progress.

I gave the upperside a coat of sealer.  Next ill do the underbelly, then attach him to the rocks and start on shading and highlighting. 

Right now Im thinking of just covering the red lid with cotton clouds.  This guy is going to be for display rather than contests. 

4th.jpg

• Like 8

went a different way on the wings.  They are not perfectly symmetrical on the underside, but it is really hard to see them together unless i take them off.  This may bother me enough to repaint.

I also went through and painted over the Cyan scales scattered through the coat.  now there is just a scatter of greys and pure snow shadow.  The dragon feels more unified. 

I started on the base.  going with zentil priming 

5th.thumb.jpg.33ef06a31a5e4b9306d6a81d3b34967b.jpg

5 side.jpg

5 wing.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

paint day! 

started doing highlights.  

still unsatisfied with the underside of the wings, may repaint without suns- just light blue that fades darker at wingtips.  

eyes done! 

face6.jpg

wing6.jpg

• Like 6