Sign in to follow this  
PhantomAquarist

Large Earth Elemental

Finished this a few days ago. One thing I have to say. I've looked at a lot of people's online before doing mine. And not to be rude but I don't like any of theirs. Nobody seemed to try and do a theme to the rocks that location wise made more sense for the fossilized dinosaur on its back. Lots of people made gems and all kinds of other things. You wouldn't find those things around fossil remains. So this was my attempt to have something more surreal and actually include the fossils better and since I collect museum quality fossils apart from painting minis. I've seen enough to try my hand at what it would look like more on an excavation site. :)

Screenshot_20191211-020630~2.png

Screenshot_20191211-020624~2.png

Edited by PhantomAquarist
  • Like 14

To each their own really, some prefer high fantasy (even if in the normal world it would make zero sense), others prefer as realistic as possible.

And there's nothing wrong with either take on them, that's the good part!

Your version looks great! Very realistic looking old stone. He looks very heavy, haha =)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shadespyre
      Dire Wolves are the tradition pets for AD&D Hill Giants, so I bought this fine fellow to replace the smilodon that came with my Hill Giant Hunter.

I always use reference pictures when painting real creatures, and this looks a bit like a real black wolf, so I'm quite happy. There are a lot more colours and steps in this chaps fur than on any of the accompanying giants, though I don't know if it shows.

The joy of Bonesium means that I could easily cut off his base and glue him directly to this piece of actual granite. I recommend doing this before ANY paint is applied to either surface, to get the best bond. Else you often pull the paint off the rock and have to re-glue it, in my experience.

• By Shadespyre
      Two more members of my hill giant tribe, obviously the one on the left is the original. The one on the right has a totally seamless hair piece (!) and obviously a modified club based on one stolen from another giant. He also has a slightly more upright stance which required an extension of his furs and was probably more trouble than the effect is worth, to be honest.

• By Shadespyre
      Chief of my Hill Giant Tribe. I dipped his hand in hot water to form the fingers around the added rock. The strange off-centre position on his base is so he fits into his tribe better...

• By Shadespyre
      Nothing special, but I stood him on a rock so he overlooks the rest of the tribe...

• By SamuraiJack
      As seen at ReaperCon

About this project
      This is my first set of TerraScapes.  I present to you a natural Caves & Grottos core set. With the full range of double sided modular tiles, you can quickly create ultra-realistic cavern scenarios for any of your spelunking adventures! If you've ever found yourself in a cave, you know how under represented they are in the games that we love to play. There is nothing linear about spelunking and caverns aren't flat! Caves are twisted sections of open air encased by cool moist rocky walls.  That's why I've coined this terrain as a Nonlinear Modular Terrain System, and it's a new way of dressing your Tabletop with functional, dynamic terrain for all your Tabletop RPG's!
      TerraScapes: Caves and Grottos strives to simulate natural terrain for optimal immersion and strategic playability. To maximize the possibilities every tile is double sided! This means that with every tile you get twice the possible play space! Both tops and bottoms of each tile can be used in your layouts!  Each tile is designed to work like a table where instead of legs, you have stalactites and large rocks. It allows you to stack them up however you want! This gives your layout real depth and introduces a whole new dimension for increased strategical encounters. Whether it's for your big boss battle, wargame or random encounter, everything you'll need for an endless tactical cavern layout comes with our set of Caves & Grottos!
      This video shows how to build an endless array of immersive caverns for your tabletop!
      What's in the Full Set?  I have a ton of tiles prototyped and ready for this campaign.  If everything is unlocked we will have 9 Core double-sided tiles, 3 exclusive large  double-sided KS tiles, 2 Rock Packs which include a total of 8 double-sided rocks and rock/well combinations, 2 sets of Stalactite risers containing a total of 4 risers, 3 double-sided flowstone/pit centerpieces and 4 packs of double-sided wall sections containing 8 wall sections.  This is everything you'll need to bring to life any dynamic cavern scenario that you could possibly dream up!  You can purchase any of these Packs of tiles or accessories as Add-ons as they are unlocked during this campaign by managing your pledge amount and adding their cost(s).  If you are bad with arithmetic, just send me a message and I'll give you hand personally!
      I know, I know...  I'm getting ahead of myself here!  When the campaign launches we'll only have the three tiles from Core Pack:A, and the exclusive KS:1 tiles available.  Whenever we unlock another Core Pack, I will also unlock another exclusive KS tile for you to snatch up!  I am fairly confident that we are going to smash through almost every stretch goal I have planned.
      Core Pack:A Random Layout with KS Tile:1  With the exception of the Stalac-Packs, note that every terrain piece in TerraScapes is double-sided. The following graphics depict both the tops and bottoms of every piece and are not separate pieces offered with the packs.  The sizes listed are in terms of tile height.  So a Size 2 piece is two tiles high.  A Size 3 piece is 3 tiles high.  
      Please Manage your Pledge if you would like to add-on any pieces.  A survey will be sent after the Kickstarter has concluded for you to list which add-ons and options (like paint schemes) you would like.  All shipping charges will be handled by a Third Party Pledge Manager after the Kickstarter as well.  You will have until December 1st, 2017 to update your Pledge using this Pledge Manager
      3 Core Pack:A tiles and the first Exclusive KS Tile:1 As each set of new tiles and accessories are unlocked we will journey deeper into what TerraScapes: Caves and Grottos has to offer any story.  During this campaign, your very pledges will move a group of adventurers through the deep, exploring the sets that you unlock.  Our heroes fate will depend upon your support!  When the campaign ends, our adventurers will either perish or succeed in escaping these deep Caves & Grottos! 
      Core Pack:A, KS Tile:1 and Rocks & Wells Pack:A  
      Rock & Wells Pack:A contains four Size 1 Risers  
      Stalac-Pack:A contains two Size 2 Risers  

Core Pack:B Random Layout with KS Tile:2
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)