Image re-size help

Can someone give me a hand or tip or whatever on this one. I found a jpeg (or some form of image) off the net & I need to resize it so it fits a 2 inch by 1 inch space for a 5e battlemap fight. I'm gonna use a calvary base (it's a bas-relief that is also a guardian portrait 5e).

What I'm having problem is trying to resize the image to fit that space & still make it look like it was actually that size in the first place. I've never been good at image manipulation (something thou I do what to learn more about thou). I don't need the bas-relief feature of the pic, just the size. I'll glue the image onto some cardstock & then the base.

thx!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@haldir from your original post I have no idea if you are trying to scale the original up or scale it down. (If @Doug Sundseth wanders along and sees this thread I think he will want to know at least everything that follows...) Bottom Line, need more info. 

What image manipulation Software or App are you stuck with working with?

What is the raw state of the original image? i.e:

Source image....

...size in kilobytes: ___________

...size as pixels x pixels: ____________

...resolution in dpi: ______________

The end result (goal) you want is (approximately, my best guess) the following stats...

Final Image:

...size in kilobytes: 700 kB 

...size as pixels x pixels: 300 x 600

...resolution in dpi: 300dpi

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Can someone give me a hand or tip or whatever on this one. I found a jpeg (or some form of image) off the net & I need to resize it so it fits a 2 inch by 1 inch space for a 5e battlemap fight. I'm gonna use a calvary base (it's a bas-relief that is also a guardian portrait 5e).

What I'm having problem is trying to resize the image to fit that space & still make it look like it was actually that size in the first place.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by that. Are you having problems with the image distorting when you change the size and shape? Is the problem pixelation of the image (usually caused by increasing the original size)?

6 hours ago, haldir said:

I've never been good at image manipulation (something thou I do what to learn more about thou). I don't need the bas-relief feature of the pic, just the size. I'll glue the image onto some cardstock & then the base.

thx!

What tool are you using to change the image? Here's a quick procedure for Photoshop; other tools should be similar:

1. Choose the Crop tool.
  2. Make sure you have the tool set to 2" x 1" at 200 dpi or higher. (or 1" x 2" if the original is tall rather than wide).
  3. Draw the crop rectangle over the part of the image you want to use. You can move or resize the rectangle after drawing it if necessary. You can also rotate the image under the crop box if that helps the composition. If you expand the crop box beyond the image, the program will fill the extra with the background color.
  4. Press Enter to crop the image.
  5. Save in the preferred file format (JPG works pretty well for this sort of thing)
  6. Print and cut out the pic.

Note that you will lose image from either the top and bottom or the sides depending on how you crop.

13 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Make sure you have the tool set to 2" x 1" at 200 dpi or higher.

@haldir ummm, neither of us explicitly mentioned that “dpi” is Dots Per Inch.

It refers to the number of discreet pixels the output printer is able to use. The limitation being that no printer can exceed its “dpi” rating. 

For example: a black and white 600dpi laser printer can easily deal with images that are 72dpi or 300dpi or 200dpi. (it will extrapolate the “missing” pixels by adding a new pixel in between the ones the images does not have.)

Second example: a color 300dpi inkjet printer cannot faithfully deal with a 600dpi Image. (it will cope by printing every other pixel that was present in the image in the hope that the lost resolution won’t look too bad.)

18 minutes ago, TGP said:

@haldir ummm, neither of us explicitly mentioned that “dpi” is Dots Per Inch.

It refers to the number of discreet pixels the output printer is able to use. The limitation being that no printer can exceed its “dpi” rating. 

For example: a black and white 600dpi laser printer can easily deal with images that are 72dpi or 300dpi or 200dpi. (it will extrapolate the “missing” pixels by adding a new pixel in between the ones the images does not have.)

Second example: a color 300dpi inkjet printer cannot faithfully deal with a 600dpi Image. (it will cope by printing every other pixel that was present in the image in the hope that the lost resolution won’t look too bad.)

True enough. What's also important to know is that with a printed continuous tone color image (like a photo), 200dpi is about the limit of visibility. B&W line art limits out at around 300dpi. So anything above that level isn't especially useful for printing.

Mainly what I need to do is take a existing image I downloaded off the net (not sure of the format, most likely a jpeg) & re-size it to 2 inches wide without it making the image look like I've re-sized it. Again, it'll be a 2 inch wide "figure" on a battlemap for 5e. Most likely I'll use paint.net as my image editing software (what I have now). The image is suppose to be a bas-relief on a wall (I don't care about the b-r effect, I just want the image).

15 minutes ago, haldir said:

Mainly what I need to do is take a existing image I downloaded off the net (not sure of the format, most likely a jpeg) & re-size it to 2 inches wide without it making the image look like I've re-sized it. Again, it'll be a 2 inch wide "figure" on a battlemap for 5e. Most likely I'll use paint.net as my image editing software (what I have now). The image is suppose to be a bas-relief on a wall (I don't care about the b-r effect, I just want the image).

Try this procedure:

https://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image-With-Paint.Net

Should work fine* unless you have a very low resolution image. If the image is extremely low resolution, the resulting image can be visibly pixelated. There's not much you can do about that, since there's only so much information in the base image and the program won't make more information when resizing (it can destroy information). Note that more expensive programs like Photoshop will use AI for more graceful image size increases, but these tend not to work as well in free programs, and even there, there's only so much they can do.

* Caveat: I've never used Paint.net, but it's pretty much exactly the procedure I would expect, so it seems pretty plausible to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help!. While I tried to size it at least 2 inch width, paint.net's printing options were a bit lackluster & only offer certain setups like full page printing, wallet photos & proofs (????). All this time I've had that program I've never have printed with it. Eventually I'll get a decent graphics program but again, the learning curve to use such program. I was able to get it to a size that would be great for the encounter tonight so all is good. I just glued it to a worthless M:TG single I've kept & then used more of the M:TG card to make a post & then glued everything to a cavalry base, that I don't use anymore & it looks great for it's intended purpose.

Again, thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated!!

• Like 3