Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

CAV Kickstarter 3 observations

Okay, got the KS in today's mail and first did an inventory on the CAVs and vehicles. Everything looks like it is here, so far, so good. Then decided to assemble one of each to check them out. Did both the Warhawk and Starhawk 5 [their legs are a bit easy to misalign, pay attention]. Have only noticed a few warped pieces and those are thin enough to be easily fixed. The detail is very nice and most of the CAVs balance well however the Duelist will need a heavy base or use a flat plate base because it is very tippy. The Haunt is simpler to assemble than it appears when you open it up. A little experimenting showed to build the two front legs first, then the rear legs one at a time making sure that it is level as you add the back pair.  Overall, extremely happy with this KS and am looking forward to the next one! I am gonna check out the terrain now!

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

Okay, step 2, the terrain.  I'm going to start at the top of the picture from the KS and work my way down.

The debris, minefields and dragon teeth are all one piece castings and very nice, they will be super easy to finish and have game ready.

The tetris pods/ giant caltrops are cast separately from their bases and this gives them some versatility.

The ammo and fuel dumps are also separate from their bases.

The shipping containers all showed some warping, so we will have to place them carefully.

The power generators are really sharp and they and the bunkers share a strange design trait in that they have bottoms that are completely hidden. A strange waste of plastic, but does not affect the pieces at all.

Okay, the storage tanks. The short ones had problems in warping on the sides on 3 of the 4. Go in expecting it, it will require minor gap filling but will look fine. The medium dual tanks have a tiny little piece to go between the tanks that is easily overlooked and will be easy to lose. The tall tanks exhibited some loose fitting to the base, but again if you are expecting it, no big deal.

The bunkers rock! Great detail and the turrets drop in perfectly. I am going to use some washers and magnets for these.

The infantry emplacements and trenches are great, perfectly sized and with some effort will look awesome. The revetment will only hold smaller tanks, the big boys are out of luck. Now you could cut some of trenches in half lengthwise to give some protection if you wanted.

The wrecks are incredible, all are one piece castings except the Gnomic which has the torso as a separate piece which will make it easier to paint.

Overall, this is an excellent set, with a few very minor problems with the factory not letting a few pieces cool enough before packing. I cannot wait to start on these.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

Okay, I decide to add Part 3, individual reports on the mechs:

1. [T]Centurion, this is a beefy, no nonsense mech that looks great, my favorite of the Templar mechs.

2. [T]Crusader, looks like it is ready to just snipe away and rip you up from distance

3. [T] Sovereign, great detail on this guy

4. [T] Spartan, might be the best looking EW mech in this game.

5. [M] Revenant, this mech is so good looking it could replace the Dictator as the Icon CAV

6. [M] Butcher, this thing looks like a German Shepherd K9 from the Dallas SWAT team

7. [M] Haunt, you are either gonna love it or hate it, but this is one nasty quad.

8. [M] Shadow, this thing is bantam rooster, it has 3 times it's size in attitude.

9. [T and Terran] Warhawk/Starhawk 5, welcome back big boy, very nice having spares from building a very widely used mech, those extra guns may wind up as another turret for the emplacements.

10. [M] Obake, the pics didn't do this bad boy justice. a very imposing mech

11. [M] Ghost, a bit fussy when gluing the legs, but a sharply detailed mech that I want to run, just because

12. [M] Pillager, wow, just wow, this thing is a beast

13. [T] Duelist, gonna need a bigger base because this thing is top heavy but it's neat

14. [M] Shade, compact, I think this joker will be in so many squads it will be amazing

15. [T] Gladiator 2, another very nasty looking mech

one thing nice is that ALL of these mechs will fit perfectly into the standard hex bases, however a couple will definitely be getting some flat cut bases so I can scoot them for better balance. The Sovereign, Duelist, Obake and the Warhawk will all fall into this category.

I didn't list my favorite Malvernis' mech because I am torn between the Revenant, Obake, Pillager, Butcher and Haunt.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

And here is part 4, the vehicles

1. [T] Charger this APC is a two piece casting hovercraft and looks beefy enough to get the job done

2. [M] Banshee, the other hovercraft, this is an attack job in 2 pieces.

3. [T] Flail, a tracked missile boat, paint before gluing the missile racks on

4. [T] Lance, a tracked, low slung beast, 2 of my 4 had bent barrels but this is easily fixed

5. [T] Sabre, a wheeled attack vehicle, an infantry killer

6. [M] Outlaw, the Malvernis' missile carrier

7. [M] Poltergeist, a multi gun tracked tank, this thing should be brutal on infantry and aircraft

8. [M] Hunter, a tracked basic tank, will see a lot of use

Across the board, the vehicles are excellent,with the exception of the bent barrels on the Lance, which is very easy to fix. The details are excellent and assembly is straightforward.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

Okay, quick update, be prepared to scrub these guys. They are loaded with release agent and require a serious bath to be ready for primer. Going to try out a couple different rattle cans today to see how they respond.

• Like 1

Okay, report on priming. I want to make sure that we have the same material used in our current CAVs as previous. @CAVBOSS please verify this for sure.

On the Bones 3 CAVs I used 3 different types of primers, First, the surprise, Walmart's 96 cent flat white primer worked great. I mean, it is super, nice thin coverage, dried the quickest of any of the 3. It will probably become my base coat for all the paints to follow.

Next Rustoleum's Ultracover Paint and Primer , it is listed for plastics and I have had good results in the past with it. This was based on their flat finishes. The Tan And Camo Dark Green [both flat] went on nicely and thinly, drying in a reasonable amount of time. Definitely will see continued use.

I am still waiting for the Gloss colors of this to dry completely. They did not go on as thinly and are taking longer to get rid of their tackiness. This is being written at a little past 2pm here and I will keep you posted. I have decided that the next time using these I will use the flat white primer first to see how that works.

oops, forgot to add. I brought the paints and minis indoors at it is cold here. Painting was done in my garage, which has a space heater running next to the paint bench.  Temp probably around 50 degrees F.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 3

Okay, the last 2 gloss painted CAVs are now in the house. Still slightly tacky, we will see how regular heat does for them.

lO1viVS.jpg

Here's the Warhawk with the Walmart primer

12LO5kY.jpg

I have to admit the Warhawk/Starhawk have a nice dynamic pose to them.

• Like 6

Okay, 1/2 hour inside and the paint dried fine. Still a bit thick, so hopefully once using the white primer it will be thinner.

• Like 2

Did you have any issues with your Obake and Duelist legs?  I found both models' legs to seem like they are bent the wrong way when assembling them.  If at all possible, could you share what both models look like after assembling?  I'm not sure if this is an issue only with the ones I received, or if there is some trick to it that I'm not seeing.  Pics attached (first two are Obake legs, where the hip joint seems to be on the wrong side, third is Duelist with what seems like the same issue).  Note that I am putting the right peg in the right hole oriented in the right direction (it goes in the only way possible).

Other than that, the model and detail quality is great, they go together easily.  Looking forward to painting them up.

IMG_20191224_201210A.jpg

IMG_20191224_201242A.jpg

IMG_20191224_202414A.jpg

They are warped by how they have come out of the mold and cooled. You will need to use the boiling water trick to straighten out. Let them sit in the boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes, take out and while holding in the position you want, run under cold water from your sink for a quick set and then put in ice cold water for a 3 or 4 minutes and they should be fine. Be careful to not burn yourself. I use a strainer with a handle to put the minis in the boiling water for a quick way to dunk them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm just a bit surprised that the warping is so consistent, and only for the Obake and the Duelist.  All of the others (Ace Pilot level pledge) fit very very accurately, impressively so.  There are some very long weapons that have some warping, but they are thin and this is completely within my expectations.  Bending those back with the hot water technique will be easy, but I'm really not sure about trying to bend the much thicker legs.  The other issue I'm worried about when using the hot water technique is what tools I should use to submerge the part, especially if the water is boiling.  I'd rather not leave tool marks or even more warping on the surface when bending the legs.  Honestly, I think that trimming off the connection tabs and reversing the legs may be easier..  I'll try the water first and see how it goes.

Its consistent due to how these particular models are being pulled out of the mold. Its something we will have to address with our supplier down the road, but for now we are all stuck with it.

I have bent these (and some warhawk cockpits) with no problem and with no other tools then a pan of boiling water, a strainer w/handle, a sink nearby, and a bowl of ice-cold water and using the above described techniques. 

• Like 2

Got it, understood.  Honestly, aside from these small issues, the quality is really impressive and the fit-up of the parts is making assembly very very easy.  Absolutely worth the money!

• Like 3