Stargrave in 2021

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2021 at 12:36 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Anyone have a good list of of what minis and terrain this calls for?

Terrain for scenarios:

Botched Deal: 7 smallish houses, 2+ ruffians, assorted clutter

Salvage Crew: chunks of ruined space ship (GW crashed aquilla lander, anyone?), swampy trees and pools

Steam Vents: 6 1" square steam vents, industrial wasteland junk, sewer dragon (big wingless lizard), 8" diameter steam tokens (I use quilt batting, just sacrifice a thrift ship teddy to the dice gods) 

Data Vault: 25 columns (author recommends paint pots)

Sky Mine: 5 roughly 3" diameter black paper "holes", industrial debris and fallen masonry

Broken Fence: small house from scenario 1, 4 sections of 2" tall fence with two small holes in it otherwise 16" long, rocks, trees, 4+ ferroxes (wolf-fox hybrids), shengryllas (monkeys)

Starport Raid: 4 numbered 4x6" spaceships, cargo, parts, small vehicles

Derelict Warship (2 players): wall to divide table in half with 3 doors, broken walls, containers, cargo

Overgrown Factory: jungle, big flower, broken walls, plenty of warbots or other random creatures

Fire Moon: 2 2" wide lava rivers running length of table, volcanic rocks, ruins, 4+ magmites (fire bugs)

As you can see, many of these scenarios can be used in Frostgrave or Ghost Archipelago. Eg: Instead of looking for data, my Egyptians will be looking at hieroglyphs in Data Vault. The temples were forests of pillars, so it should look historically cool. They can even salvage the "spaceship" which is trapped, as all fictional Egyptian tombs are. 

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 7

Still waiting for my book and minis to get here but have started making some generic terrain that I figured could be useful. That list will help me focus a bit. So far I have one 4"x6" shack finished, a few barrel barricades and a couple of scifi shipping containers printed. And some plastic succulents ordered for vegetation.

Starting to think about what I want for crews but not really decided on anything yet. I've got 1 of each of the boxes coming, a lot of 20 year old Warhammer 40K minis and a bunch of Bones and other odds and ends minis to choose from.

• Like 3

My stuff arrived last Monday with quite a bonus, northstar accidentally sent me all three set rather than just the Mercs. I also ordered a box of Wargames Atlantic lizardmen. Been assembling my crew this past week. For the most part everything interchanges well though one gnoll needed a little green stuffing to look right, but nothing out of the ordinary. 

• Like 4

So, one of you mentioned crew experience in the Off Topic thread and I thought it wasn't a half bad idea. What about giving crew XP and levels, giving them stat boosts every few levels?

• Like 2
On 5/22/2021 at 9:11 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Thinking over ideas for pirates:

Wargames Atlantic spiders with lasers

Wargames Atlantic Eisenkern Stormtroopers

Pig Iron Scavangers

Some kind of retro style robots.

Kitbash crossover between Frostgrave and Stargrave minis.  Maybe the GA Crewmen with lasers would be fun.

GW Dark Eldar

Mantic Veermyn

Too many possibilities.  Got to get a bit more focused.

Reaper Nova Corp are a solid choice 

EDD6A4AD-7210-4638-97BD-6569BDACA189.thumb.jpeg.4906ac2880c230c9cf3e29e8ccafad82.jpeg

Alternatively you could use Radon Zombies from Pulp miniatures 

8E09048E-ABE8-4E75-A5E0-6F13A3110B12.thumb.jpeg.b51d1cd9e4e570d5b94a9cf5bc76bbc0.jpeg

I had painted some figures up as Alliance troopers years ago. I will probably use them if the theme leans more toward Firefly

9BFD8A40-B12B-48D7-B563-65AE8CDD3F81.thumb.jpeg.3b7304f6b82882f3b18a9ff0f7da1378.jpeg

06F7CD8A-9140-46DB-95F4-4F1197662C7C.thumb.jpeg.10859600d3377ccea993875d7ce63e4e.jpeg417F9909-6328-42A5-A768-CF5D897D5C7B.thumb.jpeg.d4fbf95ef971809866c377a8b2bc02cd.jpeg

buckyball

• Like 6
6 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Apparently Crooked Dice do Lizard Nazis.  Tempting.

they do, they've also got some head sprues you can slap on historicals or other minis of your choice. 

I've got a bunch of their robot women that I like.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Anyone have leads on hackers/robotics characters?

yes!

cyberpunk red minis, crooked dice cyberpunks and argonauts characters, mantic dreadball forge fathers and asterians, infinity any faction hacker or engineer, VOID syntha or vasa, reaper RVE minis and 50064, bombshell has a bunch in counterblast, maelstrom's edge has a few sprues that could be mixed in with the stargrave sprues to make some, warhammer 40k adeptus mechanicus spare arms can be used to make some from stargrave kits.

I forgot one earlier, Dr. diana from any version of mutant chronicles/warzone

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do OG cylons, aka Crooked Dice Argonauts, count under retro style robots or do I have to add another entry into my list of tempting pirates for this game?

I'm worried that if cylons are retro that might mean I'm no longer young...

Edited by lowlylowlycook
2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Do OG cylons, aka Crooked Dice Argonauts, count under retro style robots or do I have to add another entry into my list of tempting pirates for this game?

I'm worried that if cylons are retro that might mean I'm no longer young...

I'd count them as their own thing. 

when you say retro robot I'm thinking robbie the robot kind of stuff where they're primarily a big solid body with either wheels or slinky limbs, or like the walking eye

• Like 1