Stargrave in 2021

Crowley

Your game looks good!  I like that landing pad (?) in the upper left.   

And yes, we had the same problem with forgetting stuff.  A large portion of our time was spent looking things up in the book.  There's a lot of layers and details in these rules as opposed to FG and GA.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Your game looks good!  I like that landing pad (?) in the upper left.   

And yes, we had the same problem with forgetting stuff.  A large portion of our time was spent looking things up in the book.  There's a lot of layers and details in these rules as opposed to FG and GA.

That's a 3d printed radar dish. Not sure of the manufacturer as was from ebay. 

The thing that really threw me as a fantasy player was facing soldiers with machine guns, grenade launchers, flame throwers and my guys just having shotguns for the +1 to damage. Also hard to adapt to it being pretty difficult to actually roll enough to grab the loot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brianuk said:

That's a 3d printed radar dish. Not sure of the manufacturer as was from ebay. 

The thing that really threw me as a fantasy player was facing soldiers with machine guns, grenade launchers, flame throwers and my guys just having shotguns for the +1 to damage. Also hard to adapt to it being pretty difficult to actually roll enough to grab the loot. 

I agree about the loot! It adds a whole different feel to the game when you need to stand there and actually mess with the unlocking!  Usually while being shot at.  And I always seem to end up with my crew members with decks where the physical loot is, and those with picks end up where the date loot is. ::P:

• Like 2

So, my notion for the game’s “holographic walls” is that they are generated by some sort of advertising hardware.  I got Staples to print me a few pictures on overhead projector slides (which they still had) and the idea is that they will go into acrylic table sign holders (minus the angled base), which will then be based.  The results should be translucent…

Here’s a quick mock-up with a piece of a transparency I wasn’t intending to use.

65ECC484-4422-411F-A25F-6ADB9A09EE89.jpeg.2a916f0cb2b417683921db86eafefc57.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Had another game of Stargrave this evening. Played the steam vents scenario using a Bones hook horror as the 'sewer dragon'. Lots of fun again and getting more familiar with the rules and various powers and weapons.

A highlight was the dog (always bring a dog) facing off the sewer dragon and winning, and my hacker beating up a stunned runner to nab their loot, only to promptly receive a critical hit and die. 

20210806_175858.jpg

20210806_185918.jpg

20210806_185923.jpg

20210806_185930.jpg

20210806_192713.jpg

20210806_201156.jpg

• Like 17

Planning to get this, by the way, is there anything for combat on a ship, or ship to ship boarding actions? I was hoping for something similar to the PC game Faster Than Light where you deploy crew members to different ship areas and repel/launch borders and exchange fire that damages zones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, haberfront said:

Planning to get this, by the way, is there anything for combat on a ship, or ship to ship boarding actions? I was hoping for something similar to the PC game Faster Than Light where you deploy crew members to different ship areas and repel/launch borders and exchange fire that damages zones.

It's quite an open game so you could easily 'house rule' something like this. All I'd say is that the author has advised against having lots of narrow corridors/a Space Hulk type board because you end up in bottlenecks and the game breaks down. There's nothing to stop you setting up a more open environment like a cargo bay or space station. 

Also all the scenarios are based on grabbing as many of the bits of loot on the table as you can then running off. That might again be harder on a confined ship. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brianuk said:

It's quite an open game so you could easily 'house rule' something like this. All I'd say is that the author has advised against having lots of narrow corridors/a Space Hulk type board because you end up in bottlenecks and the game breaks down. There's nothing to stop you setting up a more open environment like a cargo bay or space station. 

Also all the scenarios are based on grabbing as many of the bits of loot on the table as you can then running off. That might again be harder on a confined ship. 

A cargo bay with a crashed boarding ship and broken stuff sounds like a really cool idea for a board... :;,;:

• Like 2