Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Stargrave in 2021

23 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So is there any sneak peeks into what Stargrave will include?   I gather it will be loosely based on the Frostgrave rule set, but do we know anything beyond that? 

*points to above*

I think it's going to be *exactly* the same as the original. I'm now hesitant...

15 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

There will probably be changes, like Ghost Archipelago. Same basic system, though.  

True. I've never played GA, only vaguely aware of it. But that description sounds so similar, I just... I don't mind having the same system, I think it's a great idea. I'm just a little worried of being able to lay my copy of Frostgrave and Stargrave side by side and see the *exact same* abilities. If I wanted to have the same powers as the spells, I'd just play FG with Sci-Fi minis. Which actually sounds kind of cool, now that I think about it... :ph34r:

You know, I might actually play with modern minis and pretend I'm playing something like ShadowRun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

True. I've never played GA, only vaguely aware of it. But that description sounds so similar, I just... I don't mind having the same system, I think it's a great idea. I'm just a little worried of being able to lay my copy of Frostgrave and Stargrave side by side and see the *exact same* abilities. If I wanted to have the same powers as the spells, I'd just play FG with Sci-Fi minis. Which actually sounds kind of cool, now that I think about it... :ph34r:

You know, I might actually play with modern minis and pretend I'm playing something like ShadowRun.

Now that you mention it, a Star Wars conversion for Frostgrave is so obvious that it must already exist.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Now that you mention it, a Star Wars conversion for Frostgrave is so obvious that it must already exist.

I believe Uncle Atom from Tabletop Minions on YouTube mentioned that he uses SW models for Frostgrave games sometimes. That's what gave me the idea for an urban fantasy thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I think there's a mod of ROSD on their Facebook page that is for Star Wars. Considering how interchangeable the games are it'd probably work for Frostgrave easily.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, CaptainPete said:

*points to above*

I think it's going to be *exactly* the same as the original. I'm now hesitant...

While i think they will be very similar, I don't think they'll be exact copies of and another. You can look from Frostgrave, to Ghost Archipelago, to Rangers of Shadowdeep, and see they have the same underlying system, there's enough variance that it's more than just cosmetic.

I expect we'll see space monks with psychic powers that look like spells, but I also think we're likely to see a more RoSD skill system.

Either way, I'll looking forward to it.

And yes, there is a Star Wars mod for FG out there.

• Like 5

The author has said more about this one on podcasts, including Paint all the Minis and one done by "Bloodbeard's Garage'. 

Character generation will be broader than FG or GA, apparently, in that you focus on developing a Captain and FIrst Mate, whose stats progress over a campaign. You could have a soldier/cyborg captain, or a mystic or whatever, and then the First Mate is also whatever 'class' you want. So not like FG with wizard and apprentice, or GA with a heritor and a warden. 

Your Captain and First Mate have 'powers' depending on what type they are. It sounds like these will be similar to the spells and heroic abilities in FG/GA/ROSD. 

Also, the pressure element in each mission comes from the pirate fleets spotting what you are doing and starting to interfere from Turn x. 

There will be random monsters but the main 'third force' will be these pirates who could be any sci fi soldiers that you want to use. 

It does sound like fun. I am interested in the actual setting and having 'FG with lasers' but also see it as a good base for pulp/steampunk/pirate games. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brianuk said:

The author has said more about this one on podcasts, including Paint all the Minis and one done by "Bloodbeard's Garage'. 

Character generation will be broader than FG or GA, apparently, in that you focus on developing a Captain and FIrst Mate, whose stats progress over a campaign. You could have a soldier/cyborg captain, or a mystic or whatever, and then the First Mate is also whatever 'class' you want. So not like FG with wizard and apprentice, or GA with a heritor and a warden.

Also, the pressure element in each mission comes from the pirate fleets spotting what you are doing and starting to interfere from Turn x. 

There will be random monsters but the main 'third force' will be these pirates who could be any sci fi soldiers that you want to use.

Okay, these things here sound really good. I was worried it was going to take one type for things, like FG. It didn't jive with sci-fi for me.

And having these pirates turn up sounds better than just some wandering monsters with gears and stuff glued on.

I'm a little more optimistic now. I guess I'll have to move up my NOVA and IMEF Bones guys in the painting queue... And I might have to order up some aliens in Bones.

• Like 5

With something like this, all of my Zombicide: Invader minis are going to be pulling double duty, as they are perfectly suited for a rag-tag crew of "space pirates". Lucky I backed that kickstarter for 100% of the additional content.

Edited by Aestivalis
spelling
  • Like 4

On 10/4/2020 at 2:56 AM, Brianuk said:

Your Captain and First Mate have 'powers' depending on what type they are. It sounds like these will be similar to the spells and heroic abilities in FG/GA/ROSD. 

It does sound like fun. I am interested in the actual setting and having 'FG with lasers' but also see it as a good base for pulp/steampunk/pirate games. 

That sounds pretty good; thanks for sharing this info.

• Like 1

Osprey and Joe McCullough have just published some more about the game, with a promise of more info to come. He has his blog 'Renaissancetroll' at blogspot dot com where I expect a lot of things will be published. 

For my part, I painted up a bunch of Chronoscope Sci fi minis and picked up a cheap copy of Star Saga for the terrain. Am looking forward to this. 

• Like 4

I have been organizing my basement this week.  I have a *lot* of clunky first/second generation SF miniatures (Minifigs SF range, Ral Partha Galactic Grenadiers, Heritage Galacta 25, Grenadier Star Soldiers, etc...), and I am thinking that I should not purge them until I see what Stargrave looks like.  I’d probably have to paint all facitions, though, since I don’t know that anyone else would want to bother with these guys. By the time it comes out, perhaps out club will be meeting in person again.  We’ve had a lot of fun with Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago.

Selection of Minifigs SF:

456E61AA-EB63-403A-904D-552CF27277C1.thumb.jpeg.2ac138aefd0005d9a6b879e8e78c5bce.jpeg

Here’s a whole heap from a flea market:

3B8C71F9-5B1A-44FD-96E4-0BA36E692820.thumb.jpeg.760e5bbf93ceb23814d78ef730330d4c.jpeg

Alternatively, there are a lot of 1930s 54mm semi-flat Buck Rogers figures floating around the club, which might be pressed into service.

ACD085A2-0324-48B0-9A26-F15F2FB333E3.thumb.jpeg.12ccbff4edd1814dd7dff95c12215272.jpeg

Edited by Rob Dean
Added pictures
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Apparently there are 3 planned plastic sets!

Any idea what kind?

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
Lost a word