Stargrave in 2021

Crowley

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

I might just buy the "Bag o Zombies" that has 100 zombies in it. A little small, but for the price kinda hard to ignore.

I have those and they are shrimpy. In addition to what zenjw said, being monopose and small, they're also really bendy and a few of mine won't stand up right because of it. If you're looking for cheap and in 28mm scale, I've found quite a few Zombiecide boxes for about $20-25 and they have about two dozen minis in the Walk of the Dead, with I think three of 6 different sculpts. I found it to be the most price effective, when I was looking to getting into Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I have those and they are shrimpy. In addition to what zenjw said, being monopose and small, they're also really bendy and a few of mine won't stand up right because of it. If you're looking for cheap and in 28mm scale, I've found quite a few Zombiecide boxes for about $20-25 and they have about two dozen minis in the Walk of the Dead, with I think three of 6 different sculpts. I found it to be the most price effective, when I was looking to getting into Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse.

6 hours ago, zemjw said:

I have a bunch of them painted up. They are definitely on the small side - true 25mm at best. However, they work not too badly if you put them on a really tall base, as once they match at head height the proportions etc. are fine.

I painted them before I got a 3d printer, so it was a base and a lot of filler to bulk it up. If I was doing it now I'd print some custom tall bases with a recess to drop the integral base into, which would make it easier to look like they were on roads.

The other downside is that they are all the same pose. I did some minor conversions, but I do prefer a bit more variety in my undead than they offer 😁

Thank you both for the ideas!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I found some pictures I took of them more years ago than I care to admit. They're next to Studio Miniatures zombies, if memory serves

This is them "raw"

AM-JKLVsohJD2LjffBBgnh7y9UNQSH4iRAgrKavS

and this is them on bulked up bases

AM-JKLUGGYc4SiB34SD18YtKCiZBgjvwQAw3dOyT

Not great, but not as badly out of scale as they were

I found a couple of blog posts I wrote about this back in 2011 (ouch)

https://zemjw.blogspot.com/2011/05/zombie-base-tutorial-1.html

https://zemjw.blogspot.com/2011/05/zombie-base-tutorial-2.html

As mentioned in a previous post, I would now 3d print the bases with a recess, which would be much neater.

Edited by zemjw
  • Like 6

These are the picks from playing the third mission in Q37. Nearly past the zombies and then onto the bugs.

It was a brutal game despite having a truce with my opponent, largely because I kept feeding the q bots into combat with the zombies to stop them shooting at my wounded first mate. 

20220527_184610.jpg

20220527_185117.jpg

20220527_185121.jpg

20220527_185130.jpg

20220527_190737.jpg

20220527_210241.jpg

• Like 11

Looks like a good game. Using those aquarium things for terrain is a brilliant idea.

I was going to 'borrow' the idea, but I haven't been able to find them nearly as cheaply as you did.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Looks like a good game. Using those aquarium things for terrain is a brilliant idea.

I was going to 'borrow' the idea, but I haven't been able to find them nearly as cheaply as you did.

There is someone selling 30 for £20 on ebay which is about what I paid (tiny bit less). 

Screenshot_20220527-232024_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I looked, too. They are cheap in packs of ten+ from foreign vendors, with a month shipping time.  I haven't ordered any yet, because I'm trying to avoid buying a ton of stuff when I already have bins of craft and hobby materials.  But, if I come across them cheap somewhere, like a thrift store I won't hesitate. 

I had DH save some aluminum cans from game night last week. I'm going to try my hand at some industrial storage tanks this weekend. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

They are cheap in packs of ten+ from foreign vendors, with a month shipping time.  I haven't ordered any yet, because I'm trying to avoid buying a ton of stuff when I already have bins of craft and hobby materials

I basically did this, found a seller with a random range of products and they were shipped in a plastic bag from China. So these days that isn't as cheap as in the before times. 

I don't think its worth getting these for more than a pound/dollar/euro. At c. 80p/ cents I think they are worth it. 

Theyre ideal for Sci fi floor tiles. They bend so may be less useful as platforms/raised areas. I've not tried. I am going to stick some together vertically with blutac for Sci fi walls though.

Also, it works for me because I like the chopped look but the paint scratches off easily. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Inarah said:

I looked, too. They are cheap in packs of ten+ from foreign vendors, with a month shipping time.  I haven't ordered any yet, because I'm trying to avoid buying a ton of stuff when I already have bins of craft and hobby materials.  But, if I come across them cheap somewhere, like a thrift store I won't hesitate. 

I had DH save some aluminum cans from game night last week. I'm going to try my hand at some industrial storage tanks this weekend. 

Thingiverse has some free can toppers to do those kind of conversion to do industrial tanks. BTW, what other scifi games do you and DH play so I can put some extra goodies in the BOGW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Thingiverse has some free can toppers to do those kind of conversion to do industrial tanks. BTW, what other scifi games do you and DH play so I can put some extra goodies in the BOGW.

Yeah, DH just finished printing one out right before dinner. ::D:   We play a variety of games, mostly using the GURPS system, but we've done Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu, too (which isn't terribly sci-fi).  We've had steampunk games, alternate reality, Traveller, time-travel, superheroes, and I can't remember what all. If it looks industrial, modern, scientific, or futuristic I can find a use for it.  

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, Inarah said:

Check out TT combat's stuff. They are specially designed to augment your soda cans. 

• Like 2

Got to the end of the zombie campaign in Q37 this evening. Best mission so far. Exploding zombies, and random forcefields cutting the board in half and separating fighters from each other, or keeping crew members next to the wrong number of zombies. Am going to play a couple of different games for a spell then come back to the alien bug campaign. 

20220610_185426.jpg

20220610_185430.jpg

20220610_185434.jpg

20220610_191958.jpg

20220610_203406.jpg

20220610_211722.jpg

• Like 6