Stargrave in 2021

In the unending search for unusual/unique miniatures to use for sci-fi stuff (and specifically for Stargrave), I came across the Mantic Warpath/Deadzone Rebs Faction boxes (Starter, Booster and Alpha Team sets). Since I backed the Star Saga kickstarter, I already have most of the minis from the Alpha Team set, so I just got the Booster set. Go check them out on Amazon or eBay. Hopefully this will help some of you fill up your ranks.

• Like 2
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm working during the RCon Stargrave session. If someone could do a transcript or even the highlights, that would be so nice. 

During reaper live they mentioned most of the classes will be recorded and put on youtube at some point

3 hours ago, Aestivalis said:

In the unending search for unusual/unique miniatures to use for sci-fi stuff (and specifically for Stargrave), I came across the Mantic Warpath/Deadzone Rebs Faction boxes (Starter, Booster and Alpha Team sets). Since I backed the Star Saga kickstarter, I already have most of the minis from the Alpha Team set, so I just got the Booster set. Go check them out on Amazon or eBay. Hopefully this will help some of you fill up your ranks.

oh yeah, rebs are good stuff and can be chopped up to make some really interesting stuff. You may also want to look at dreadball, some of the teams have stuff that works pretty well outside of sports. 

PXL_20210208_224449848~2.jpg

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
Added a photo of rebs conversations
  • Like 5
8 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0UDma_I_s

If you just can't wait for the Stargrave panel, check out this tasty (p)review. It's a comparison of Frostgrave 2.0 and Stargrave. 

I was just coming here to share that. So looking forward to this game... and actually getting to play with people again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may remember most of the answers to the questions. I think it (the Zoom class, that is) will be viewable laters. 

Shall I post the questions?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

STARGRAVE Webinar Q&A Questions from RVE

How big or small are the shuttles for the Hanger Scenario meant to be..?

Will a player’s 10 man crew need its own spaceship..?

I haven’t played Frostgrave, but how well does the Stargrave/Frostgrave system work for solo gaming?

Any previews you can share of the new plastics?

What type of terrain should be crafted or gathered to get ready for the release of Stargrave?

Do the templates match up with GW templates?

How much of a flip of melee vs ranged do you think Stargrave will have?  Let's say it's was 80-90% melee in most FG/GA games, do you think it will now be around that much of a ranged focus?

Sounds like “heavy weapon”, “long arm”, “pistol” and “melee weapon” should give the right mix of possibilities?

Do the rules cover more than two players?

Do you know if Brigade Games will run the Nickstarter in the US (as they have for all the Frostgrave Nickstarters I believe)?

Will it be "space Hulky" with rooms and corridors, or outside with terrain features/ buildings/ "ruins",  or a mix depending on missions?

Could you describe how items and equipment work in stargrave?

How much bigger should the play area be with 3 or 4 players..?

Are there any “road crew” type programs to support people that want to volunteer to promote the game in shops with Demos etc?

What kind of bad guys will we need to start out? Just some sort of space pirates?

I love loot. About how big are the weapons and equipment/treasure tables?

Does melee attract unwanted attention?

Any plasma type weapons that might overheat?

What does your wife think of all this?

Will there be tactical movement equipment like jetpacks, antigrav belts, hoverboards, speeder bikes, etc.?

Is there one Reaper mini that you think everyone should have in their Stargrave collection?

Are there plans to add spaceship combat to the individual miniatures combat?

Is picking up weapons from fallen enemies mid game an option?

(Those were some —most?— of the questions folk in the chat thought of and asked. IRL names removed for privacy. I will update later with what my memory thinks were the responses.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, TGP said:

STARGRAVE Webinar Q&A Questions from RV

Will it be "space Hulky" with rooms and corridors, or outside with terrain features/ buildings/ "ruins",  or a mix depending on missions?

(Those were some —most?— of the questions folk in the chat thought of and asked. IRL names removed for privacy. I will update later with what my memory thinks were the responses.)

Ahem...

Edited by Chaoswolf
removed real name for privacy
2 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Ahem...

I edited that later but not before you quoted it. I cannot edit your post.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, TGP said:

STARGRAVE Q&A Questions with paraphrased answers as (poorly ?) remembered by The Gryphon Pendrake

How big or small are the shuttles for the Hanger Scenario meant to be..?

They were a 4x6 inch foot print in play testing. Somewhat bigger is allowed should work fine. They should look flight worthy. They are terrain that could launch and leave mid-game.

Will a player’s 10 man crew need its own spaceship..?

Not required for gameplay, but would not hurt to have. A ship they use to find their way to the site of a scenario is assumed. 

I haven’t played Frostgrave, but how well does the Stargrave/Frostgrave system work for solo gaming?

SG was not specifically designed for solo play, BUT JM has worked on a mini-supplement for exactly that purpose while he has been in lockdown. Might be released shortly after the books are in April.

Any previews you can share of the new plastics?

There were no previews of new official minis to share. Sharing or revealing those is something Northstar gets to do.

Like Frostgrave the rules are miniature agnostic.

What type of terrain should be crafted or gathered to get ready for the release of Stargrave?

Any type of terrain can be used. A scenario can be staged on any sort of worldlet that has been seen on Star Trek, Star Wars, or from any other wargame you might have. High tech Infinity terrain to a swamp with Ogre huts. SG is set in a big galaxy with all sorts of planets.

Do the templates match up with GW templates?

No, not exactly. There are sample templates in the back of the book. A large circle, a small circle, and a flame template. The GW ones are close enough that they could be used if both players agreed but the exact dimensions are different.

How much of a flip of melee vs ranged do you think Stargrave will have?  Let's say it's was 80-90% melee in most FG/GA games, do you think it will now be around that much of a ranged focus?

Game play is a bit different. Much more shooting. Mosts figures will have some sort of gun. Still two actions for each figure…but some actions generate a bonus move. The importance of having plenty of block LOS terrain is very important.

Sounds like “heavy weapon”, “long arm”, “pistol” and “melee weapon” should give the right mix of possibilities?

Those were all good but there are additional variants. A guy with a machine gun like weapon and guys with varying grades of armour are all possible.

Do the rules cover more than two players?

2, 3, and 4 player games are possible as they are in Frostgrave. 5+ might be where the game starts to bog down.

Do you know if Brigade Games will run the Nickstarter in the US (as they have for all the Frostgrave Nickstarters I believe)?

JM thought that this partnering arrangement would carry on unchanged but that was not official confirmation. But no reason to think it would cease.

Most of the scenarios are more open environments. Corridor constrained games lead to choke points and choke points tend to end the game.

So, no, not really. JM advised avoiding creating tables like that. But using a small amount of such terrain pieces would be a good way to represent buildings that could be entered.

Could you describe how items and equipment work in stargrave?

Guns can run out of ammo, need to be unjammed, allowed to cool, have the clip or belt or barrel swapped. They don't always work, every turn, without complaint.

How much bigger should the play area be with 3 or 4 players..?

The scenarios were written with two players in mind on a 30x30 or 2 and a half foot square playing area. (Dining room table footprint.) With 3 or 4 crews expanding to 3x3 feet or 42x42 inches or up to as much as 4x4 feet for four players could be helpful. But maintain the terrain density.

Are there any “road crew” type programs to support people that want to volunteer to promote the game in shops with Demos etc?

(Either the gryphon memory banks have failed or Joseph did not get to this question.)

What kind of bad guys will we need to start out? Just some sort of space pirates?

Definitely space pirates, with the following variants: battle armoured with big guns, med and light armors with guns, down to unarmored guys with guns and clubs. Morlocks, BEMs, LGMs, "warphounds", sewer dragons, and other sorts of aliens are all good.

I love loot. About how big are the weapons and equipment/treasure tables?

Generally, crafted to use the D20. That is: 20 items is the usual.

Does melee attract unwanted attention?

Yes. But not any more so than shooting. A mechanic in the game is that a pirate vessel of significant size might notice your crew's activity dirtside. This is called unwanted attention. The possibility of endless waves of pirate landing parties is always there.

(Either the gryphon memory banks have failed or Joseph did not get to this question.)

What does your wife think of all this?

Mrs McCullough has played just the one game of Frostgrave but she fully supports and is proud of JMs efforts.

Will there be tactical movement equipment like jetpacks, antigrav belts, hoverboards, speeder bikes, etc.?

Is there one Reaper mini that you think everyone should have in their Stargrave collection?

There was. It was 44058, the Burrowing Behemoth. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
5 hours ago, TGP said:

Answer was no, just the jamming rules.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Wasn't sure, check with North Star

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I don't think he got to these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I don't think he got to these.

He didn't. But he did mention that your ship is similar to your camp in frost grave in that it is always somewhere off the edge of the board. 

• Like 4