Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread ((RPM CLOSES December 1st))

I tend to avoid providing feedback on art because I know I can't do any better (hell, my 6 year old can draw better than I can), except in one specific situation, and that is where I'm paying someone to create specific art for me, and that's more along the lines of 'include this, exclude this' rather than being critical.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

OMG!...I just thought of something horrible...
So far there is a succubus in every expansion!
What are they trying to do to me...

Pretty sure they're trying to drain your wallet. It was too full, and needed immediate reduction if it was meant to lead a normal life.

/goes off to see how many cc's need to be drained from his own wallet

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, not at all.  I like constructive criticism; its the best way to improve.  I've been a tech writer for 30 years; I can handle critique. I figure if 50% of the people like something I did I've done a good job. 

It's when they decide to attack the person instead of stating what they don't like that wears on one. I think the comment that really bit this time was the one where they asked if the dragon wolf and the catoblepas were make on take your kid to work day.  Ouch.

Agreed. If I took every attack personal, I would be attending regular meetings of AA for sure! Petty comments though do get a bit under the collar, but just to bite your tongue and let it slide. Took me a long time and four kids to figure that out. :) 

With that said, I think your work is spot-on, so keep up the work!

Now if I could just get them to move "me" into Bones, I'm sure that one would be a major selling point! ;)

Jon Longshanks

Best

CAVBOSS aka "Jon Longshanks" 02073

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I try hard not to publicly complain about sculpts that don’t appeal to me. It is enough that I quietly choose not to buy or paint them.

While I think that stance makes sense when a sculpt is released for purchase already, with a kickstarter its often different situation. Many of these sculpts are not completely finalized yet, and production won't start for quite a while, so now is the time to let the people producing them know because their is always a chance they'll decide to change the sculpt based on feedback.

Now comments like the one made by that jerk about "bring your kid to work day" or whatever are definitely beyond the pale, but I don't think that we should simply avoid all negative feedback due to potential hurt feelings.

Full disclosure, I did post how I wish they would change the sculpt, but I didn't think my post was particularly cruel or the like.  You all have me paranoid, though, that I may have inadvertently caused harm so if any of you would like to pass judgment on me for that I'm reproducing the text of that post below.

" I really wish they would repose that catoblepas to have its head down, since its whole shtick is that is kills you with a glance but can't reliably raise* its head to do so."

I would really like some feedback to see if I went to far.

*the only change I made to the post text was to incorporate a typo-fix for clarity.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

if-you-ever-think-mythology-is-boring-ju

Important question.

Which head gets the single black spot over the left eye? Or do I got for maximum irony and paint him a solid color?

Things I love - Linda Sejic, in her comic Punderworld (about Hades and Persephone), made Cerberus a Dalmatian. So Hades had a reason to name his tripartite dog Spot!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's when they decide to attack the person instead of stating what they don't like that wears on one. I think the comment that really bit this time was the one where they asked if the dragon wolf and the catoblepas were make on take your kid to work day.  Ouch.

Holy crap!  Please don’t take that as any kind of legitimate criticism.  It’s just some random troll that doesn’t create anything trying to feel clever with some zero effort trashing of stuff on the interwebs.  Try not to look at it.  There’s no more merit in it than a stray dog barking at you on the street.

I love the squidy thing btw!  The sculpt is totally wicked, and the pose is perfect - fits nicely on a practical base, and look really menacing.  The armor pod on the back is super cool with the exhaust ports on the back side - those are like squid thrusters, right?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Full disclosure, I did post how I wish they would change the sculpt, but I didn't think my post was particularly cruel or the like.  You all have me paranoid, though, that I may have inadvertently caused harm so if any of you would like to pass judgment on me for that I'm reproducing the text of that post below.

" I really wish they would repose that catoblepas to have its head down, since its whole shtick is that is kills you with a glance but can't reliably raise* its head to do so."

I would really like some feedback to see if I went to far.

*the only change I made to the post text was to incorporate a typo-fix for clarity.

I think you're in the clear there. You aren't attacking the artist with that included quote, and it's a fair critique of the pose. I think @TaleSpinner even mentioned a bit back in the thread (hard to find with 100+ pages) when that criticism came up either from you or someone else, that the reason he has his head up was to fit properly on the base. Valid criticism and parried with a valid sculpting reason.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, I had no access to any previous files.  I did have the concept art for the Old Goroloth to work from as Ron wanted a resculpt of that in a more dynamic pose that would fit a 3 inch base, and with a fresh take on it.  This was my first digital sculpt and I started it from scratch. They are both fish creatures though so... 

A couple other views for you:

IMG_5342.PNG.8c2cb362992070f0b4ab5c9ef9a3bdcd.PNGIMG_5341.PNG.5b7f4e0e1347099a80578c7403f59e31.PNGIMG_5340.PNG.eb3d5c3960cdc5b42a5996385502f373.PNG

That... looks like a bottom feeder to me.

I will name him Hoover.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That... looks like a bottom feeder to me.

I will name him Hoover.

The Auld Grump

i was thinking Hugsy, Or Cuddles

more seriously, something along hte lines of Benthic, which is the bottom layer of a water body near the silt. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

more seriously, something along the lines of Benthic, which is the bottom layer of a water body near the silt. 

A running joke - back when I kept an aquarium I always named my algae-eaters Hoover and Electrolux.

To be honest - they were my favorite fish in the tank.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

more seriously, something along hte lines of Benthic, which is the bottom layer of a water body near the silt. 

Bennie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Have we discussed what the plural of "catoblepas" is?  Or what a group of them would be called?

I always assumed it was a sounder. (The term for a group of wild pigs.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

That looks nothing like Cerberus. He should look like this:

download.jpg.40b687801f16aa4a09f0d5a67da228d6.jpg

Ahhh Kero, so much more epic in his full form, Keroberos, Cerberus, whatever the spelling/pronunciation maybe, that is one epic guardian of the book :D Sorry, off-topic as all get out, but I wanted to say this regardless :P 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1