Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread ((RPM CLOSES December 1st))

Recommended Posts

The reclining incubus reminds me of a certain nude photo of Burt Reynolds. He's taking up a whole pile of pillows and a large base. Likewise, in the Reynolds centerfold nothing's showing (there's too much hair to see anything ::P: ) but he's taking up a whole bear rug in his recline.

 

I've seen bear rugs. They're HUGE.

 

I figure an incubus can sprawl as much as they want. There's hairy precedent easily obtained from the internet and/or 1970s magazines.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ardeus said:

When we had this conversation a while back regarding the size of the giants, my thought was that it didn’t matter too much what the size they are, due to the good points that size varies from person to person and creature to creature. 
 

When thinking about the succubi/incubi I thought the same thing at first, but the more this conversation has progressed the more I feel like the same holds true in the opposite direction. If all of the succubi/incubi are larger than an average medium character, then they may not be as appealing for role playing purposes as they would with varying sizes or if they were all medium in scale. From a role playing perspective, since succubi/incubi are, in my opinion, meant to be temptresses/tempters I would imiagine that they would want their size to be similar to that of their victims. While I’m sure that some would be enticed by large sized creatures, I would think other may be frighted by a large creature. 
 

Those are just some of my thoughts regarding the current conversation. For the Bones 5 characters I like them (I like all of Bones 5), and I feel that they could be useful at any size, even if they could be more useful at other sizes. 

Exactly.  Succubi are infiltrators.  Thats how they hunt.  They are meant to blend in with their prey.  Now if you want to have the ones laying down be on 40mm bases and the rest on 28/30mm bases thats fine.  But dont make them all 40mm.  

40mm bases are the bane of role players.  Its not a base size thats supported very well outside of wargaming.  It plays havoc with the line of sight rules as they work with a grid or hex style of play.  If you play grid less its not so bad but I dont really know to many games that run grid less.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a DM, as long as the minis themselves are the same scale as others in my collection, I don't really care about the larger base sizes. I rarely match my critters to minis and there are plenty of large-size fiends they could sub in for.

 

However, having them that size does limit their use as player characters. For example, one of my players thought that the Burt Reynolds incubus would be perfect for her, uh, friendly tiefling bard, but she wouldn't be able to use him as such unless he fits on a medium base.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

The reclining incubus reminds me of a certain nude photo of Burt Reynolds. He's taking up a whole pile of pillows and a large base. Likewise, in the Reynolds centerfold nothing's showing (there's too much hair to see anything ::P: ) but he's taking up a whole bear rug in his recline.

 

I've seen bear rugs. They're HUGE.

 

I figure an incubus can sprawl as much as they want. There's hairy precedent easily obtained from the internet and/or 1970s magazines.

Mum still has that magazine.

 

It is well thumbed. ::P:

57 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Exactly.  Succubi are infiltrators.  Thats how they hunt.  They are meant to blend in with their prey.  Now if you want to have the ones laying down be on 40mm bases and the rest on 28/30mm bases thats fine.  But dont make them all 40mm.  

40mm bases are the bane of role players.  Its not a base size thats supported very well outside of wargaming.  It plays havoc with the line of sight rules as they work with a grid or hex style of play.  If you play grid less its not so bad but I dont really know to many games that run grid less.  

If you are putting down a mini of a succubus then IT IS NO LONGER BLENDING IN!

 

Reclining like that they are not blending in. They are for when the prey is walking willingly into the trap.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ardeus said:

If all of the succubi/incubi are larger than an average medium character, then they may not be as appealing for role playing purposes as they would with varying sizes or if they were all medium in scale. From a role playing perspective, since succubi/incubi are, in my opinion, meant to be temptresses/tempters I would imagine that they would want their size to be similar to that of their victims.

 

They can shape shift at will, right? 

That’s bound to allow a range of sizes. Yes?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TGP said:

 

They can shape shift at will, right? 

That’s bound to allow a range of sizes. Yes?

They still have to stay medium sized.

29 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

 

If you are putting down a mini of a succubus then IT IS NO LONGER BLENDING IN!

 

Reclining like that they are not blending in. They are for when the prey is walking willingly into the trap.

 

 

I have humanoid versions...This aint my first rodeo...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put it down as 'close enough' - if Reaper tried to shrink them to fit a 1' base they would look worse, not better, so I would just go with them as they are.

 

If you are really that annoyed with them not fitting on a 1" base, then you don't need them, I guess.There are alternatives.

 

They are not in combat poses - so, if you need to have them get up and charge around, swap them for standing models - there are certainly enough standing succubi to do so. They are setting a non-combat scene - where minis fitting 1" bases is not as vital. (Then again, I don't think it is that vital to begin with.)

 

The incubi are harder to find, I will admit.

 

*EDIT* Or, as suggested above - make them statues.

 

The Auld Grump

1 hour ago, Pineapple said:

Right up until the moment the DM decides they don't anymore.

I'm pretty sure there is an old adventure where a succubus is disguised as some sort of giant. From a magazine, not a regular dungeon adventure.

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the succubi and incubi are the same size as a standard mini and just are occupying the larger bases, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but Bones Black is a lot more of a hassle to cut integral bases off of. I'm starting to miss regular Bonesium already...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Assuming the succubi and incubi are the same size as a standard mini and just are occupying the larger bases, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but Bones Black is a lot more of a hassle to cut integral bases off of. I'm starting to miss regular Bonesium already...

Dont worry.  The bases will be separate...but since they will preassemble them you are still going to have a horrible time getting them detached :lol:

None of this statement is fact...but very possible.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:
1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Assuming the succubi and incubi are the same size as a standard mini and just are occupying the larger bases, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but Bones Black is a lot more of a hassle to cut integral bases off of. I'm starting to miss regular Bonesium already...

Dont worry.  The bases will be separate...but since they will preassemble them you are still going to have a horrible time getting them detached :lol:

None of this statement is fact...but very possible.

 

I was thinking the bases had to be separate pieces. It is many, many months until they get shot through molds. So maybe these inccubi/succubi models could be bagged without pre-assembling if we ask nicely. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Assuming the succubi and incubi are the same size as a standard mini and just are occupying the larger bases, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but Bones Black is a lot more of a hassle to cut integral bases off of. I'm starting to miss regular Bonesium already...

Hint:  A motor tool is your friend here.

Faster to cut off the unneeded material and much easier to control than hand tools.

GEM

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Glitterwolf
      Coming in November!
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iain-lovecraft/desert-adventures
       

       

    • By lexomatic
      So I got a newsletter with super early (2020) kickstarter tease (image behind the spoiler).
       
       
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/399883540/the-zodiac-war-by-yedharo-models-30mm-70mm-busts/description
       
      Story
               
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigchildcreatives/echoes-of-camelot-arthurian-legends
       
      Story
      Echoes of Camelot: Arthurian Legends is a project that will expand our 75mm resin miniature range with new and exciting models based on the Matter of Britan, particularly around the figure of King Arthur and his Knights. We have many cool surprises prepared should you help us bring this dream to life.
      These miniatures have been sculpted and painted here at the Big Child Creatives studio with the collaboration of some of the most talented miniature artists out there. And what is more, they will be manufactured by our own talented team of resin casting experts. This allows us to monitor the process closely to ensure the best quality in the market and a timely delivery.
      We have learned a lot from our previous campaigns, and we want to put all this experience to good use, repeating everything we did right, improving upon it, and correcting our past mistakes. We invite you to join us in this journey of discovery throughout the Matter of Britain and its amazing cast of unique characters.
      This campaign is a journey of discovery, full of surprises such as custom bits to make your miniatures even more striking than they already are. Some of these kits will be Kickstarter exclusive, so those of you who choose to support us will be able to proudly show it through unique miniatures, even more full of life and character than our regular releases.
         
      Painted by Ruben Martinez "RMA" Painted by Marc Masclans Painted by Arnau Lazaro
    • By thedespot29
      Microworld Games (which I run) has their first Kickstarter ever live:
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/microworld-games/6mm-fantasy-crusader-kingdom/
       

       

       

       

       
      All stretch goals have been met, with a bit less than 2 weeks to go.  I know 6mm fantasy is a bit of a niche within a niche, but thought I would post for anyone interested in element-based mass battle wargaming.  I'm hoping the KS platform enables me to push out more interesting projects a bit quicker.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...