ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 minute ago, Skallabjorn said:

@Ratmaster2000, is that from "Jason and the Argonauts"?

Clash of the Titans from the 80's (not that poor excuse they released recently). Harryhausen pulled off awesome stuff without CGI. Wish I had found a shot were Perseus was fighting the cerebus.

• Like 4

The preview of the cerberus definitely looked like it could use a bit more time in the oven. It's not bad, but lots of real estate that could be explored with textures.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, pretty bad.  They got personal. I hope Chris wasn't reading them.

As @Rainbow Sculptor told me after I read a bunch of the Catoblepas comments there, "we're artists, we all have Impostor Syndrome."  She's not wrong.

This makes super sad. The art you and other sculptors create bring joy (and sometimes terror, as a proper encounter should). Sometimes that joy isn't shared publicly, but it's there. 

Since I started art-ing, I've gotten a lot more careful about saying why I personally don't like a thing, rather than attacking the thing. It's a little piece of the artist's spirit, and needs to be treated accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Have we discussed what the plural of "catoblepas" is?  Or what a group of them would be called?

Doug beat me to it. I was going to guess Catoblepodes. 

Either that or "RUN AWAAAAAY!" which has the advantage of being easier to pronounce. 

56 minutes ago, cosxcam said:

They also mentioned that there are more "encounter" bundles planned. A mixture of terrain and creatures to inspire encounters in TTRPGs

*covers wallet's ears* SSSHHHH, don't scare the poor thing! It's already been frightened enough! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

Number Based on 1600-1700 Reaper time today:
Total Gain Today: $45,651
Total Gain 24 Hours: $60,777
Total to Next Goal: $28,702
New Backers This Hour: 16
Gain in last Hour: $2,167
Current Average Pledge: $119.07
Average Hourly Backers Today: 16.0
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 20.7
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $2,167
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $2,985
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 13.2
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 9.6

Current Total Pledges: $1,436,298
Current Total Backers: 12,063
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,434,131
Previous Hour Total Backers: 12,047
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, not at all.  I like constructive criticism; its the best way to improve.  I've been a tech writer for 30 years; I can handle critique. I figure if 50% of the people like something I did I've done a good job. 

It's when they decide to attack the person instead of stating what they don't like that wears on one. I think the comment that really bit this time was the one where they asked if the dragon wolf and the catoblepas were make on take your kid to work day.  Ouch.

Ok, now that's just >heavily redacted profanity<. Seriously, I love the Wolf Dragon, and Catoblepas isn't my thing, but it's still a good sculpt. Ignore them some people are just toxic. I had a fledgling YT channel, pretty much gave it up, but every once in awhile an old vid gets a comment about how badly I suck, and so far, 100% of the time, when I go look at their channel, there's no vids on their channel. So forget about the haters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

36 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

This makes super sad. The art you and other sculptors create bring joy (and sometimes terror, as a proper encounter should). Sometimes that joy isn't shared publicly, but it's there. 

Since I started art-ing, I've gotten a lot more careful about saying why I personally don't like a thing, rather than attacking the thing. It's a little piece of the artist's spirit, and needs to be treated accordingly. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

I try hard not to publicly complain about sculpts that don’t appeal to me. It is enough that I quietly choose not to buy or paint them.

i don’t always succeed, and I hope the negative comments I do make are more in the form of specific critique, rather than general dismissal.

You should all feel free to call me on it when I slip.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

They updated the core set image, and the Dungeon Dwellers image, finally putting in the forgotten 321 and the "work in progress" 345:

1018330583_ScreenShot2019-10-04at5_06_17PM.png.d91004098afe74954efbc8a496b61595.png366514771_ScreenShot2019-10-04at5_08_29PM.png.75e9fcf808a5433fdaa079e5fd70d6b0.png

I was really hoping the succubus got put in there by mistake....Im fine if they take her out and put her with the rest of "the ladies"

• Like 1

Troll 315 of the Dungeon Dwellers also somehow got lost from his pack brothers in the core set (205-206)

I'm still calculating if I'm getting the Core and the DD. Core seems likely, I like a lot of the stretch goals especially. As many others have stated, I also like DD for the concept and it has great figures, but maybe too many adventurers or stuff I already have. The goblins and kobolds go neatly with the KS 4 ones, but I got extras of those kobolds and just painted 24 goblins. The mounted goblins are super cool though, so are the Orcs. But again, I just painted a lot of Orcs and I'm not sure those would go with them. The treasure dragon and the plague doctors are also nice as is the female halfling.

• Like 3

I'm lucky insofar as I only got two or three of the minis in the DD expansion during Reaper's giveaways, so it's not the end of the world if I back it. I'm still a bit on the fence about it, though.

I may wind up getting two of each siege engine, though. I haven't really used siege engines in the past, but part of that is because I didn't have them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, pretty bad.  They got personal. I hope Chris wasn't reading them.

:angry:::(::unsure:

I had to pull Kevin away from them one day this week.  It wasn't pretty in there and he was fairly growly all of lunch.

It stinks when people have to try to out-do themselves on insulting the art work that a piece is by attacking the sculptor who created it.  

I don't enjoy it when it spills over here as well as it has more than once.  

Please remember to be kind to the artist.  Express your opinion without the attacks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 4