Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

Two small siege engine notes:

1) Historically, ballistae ranged in size from a very large crossbow mounted on a pivoting post to huge monsters capable of breaching a gate.

There was even a type known as a scorpion that could launch medium to large stones at a target.

2) The payload for a trebuchet is loaded into a sling which sits inside the body of the engine until launched.  The physics are fascinating, but I won't go into detail. Basically a very large sling.

I have actually gotten to fire both. ::D:

In another note, historical payloads ranged from large rocks (sieges  breaching walls, and anti formed units) to baskets of smaller rocks (antipersonnel) to dung, diseased corpses, and dead animals (biological attacks) to incendiary, irritating, or poisonous alchemical compounds (chemical attacks). Medieval, classical, and ancient warfare can be a fascinating study, and useful for a GM to know. Imagine the complications when the players return from their successful mission, only to find their base city and questgiver under siege. Delicious!

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, nathelbiya said:

That comment made me really angry. How can people be so rude? They don't seem to realize, that everything is done by a person.

Plus they are completely oblivious to the History, especially the earlier days, of Role Playing Games.

I personally date from the era when many of our monsters came from the toy dinosaur bin.

GEM

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ksbsnowowl said:

There is a Nolzur's unpainted ballista that is barely larger than a medium creature (the stand fits on a 1" base).

I hope these Bones 5 ballista are massive, because no one else sells something like that. 

The GW trebuchet is pretty cool.  And they have various ballistae although cant recall if any realistic looking ones.

Sanjay

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sanael said:

I'm looking forward to the Greek stuff, no doubt. And although a hekatoncheries would be cool, I'd really love to see someone make a really terrifying creature: the she-dragon, Campe. A snake-haired scorpion-for-a-head, winged giant woman with many-headed snakes for legs, a chest adorned with the baying heads of fifty beasts, and the armor of sea monsters. Her eyes were fire, the snakes of her feet spat venom and her wings could create typhoons.

I mean, that sounds terrifying, right? Lovecraft got nuthin' on the titanomachy.

I’m sure that would be terrifying to see, but it really just sounds ridonkulous and laughable in print. 

I guess someone will just have to sculpt one so we can be properly intimidated by it :devil:

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.png.57db7f71f7daa6c2a8811fe11da936f5.png

Paging @Glitterwolf!

• Like 10

It seams like it is taking forever to get off Map 3 not sure if the speed of map 1 and 2 were just because pledgers were throwing the $120 at the screen as fast as they could to get in an early wave or if the perceived slowness of Map 3 is because less people were interested in Daimyo. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

It seams like it is taking forever to get off Map 3 not sure if the speed of map 1 and 2 were just because pledgers were throwing the $120 at the screen as fast as they could to get in an early wave or if the perceived slowness of Map 3 is because less people were interested in Daimyo. 

Maybe both:huh: I know they had me interested with part 2, but blew it on 3 (may eventually get it anyway like I did Chronoscope in bones 4)

• Like 3

Hummmm those things on the comic look like mecha-kobolds to me....or cyberratmen... Funny tought... Man im already felling my wallet death troes... And there is what, 2 maps to go?....

Maaaan....

I know im being the minority, but that daimyo pack seems ssweeeet to me, the big boys alone probably will pop you for the whole fifty in retail no? 

I kinda lost count, but are the core alone more than 105 minis, not including doodads(the spells, bases, etc)....?? I feel like this is the start of a beautifull frienship...

Edited by OddMoominOut
  • Like 5