Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

18 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Ouch, Bones 5 is killing it! I wonder what is driving the trend? Better Bones? The intro of Bones Black? Better word of mouth? or a combination of a lot of factors?

I think it is a combo

I know I heard Reaper say there are a lot of new people getting into the Hobby, and a lot of people that went to ReaperCon were brand new and that the Con itself had large numbers of attendees 

• Like 11

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the starting date shift was a factor as well.

Bones 5 was announced for an early September launch date. People heard, word of mouth began, the hype started. Then Reaper saw a glimmer of reality and decided starting a kickstarter at their own con was a ridiculous idea, they have the manpower to run one or the other but not both. So the date was moved one month back.

Reaper was 100% open about this date change. Front page of the website showed the date change. It was posted to all of the social media outlets I noticed and I'm sure Facebook as well. This gave them a full month to maintain that hype with previews, with promises, with their record of previous kickstarters, and with their general inability to keep people quiet about things.

So when the date finally rolled around you had an entire extra month of people pawing at the starting line, chomping at the bit, and other various metaphors for slamming against the starting gate before a race in an attempt to get the main event started. So much so that when the gates opened and everyone fell over themselves trying to be first we have an excellent visual for the kickstarter servers crashing as several thousand people all tried to claim a Wave 1 slot and got kicked back to Wave 5.

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I think it is a combo

I know I heard Reaper say there are a lot of new people getting into the Hobby, and a lot of people that went to ReaperCon were brand new and that the Con itself had large numbers of attendees 

This was me, my uncle got me into CR like 3 years ago, which got me into d&d, we play over skype so no real need for minis, but we have a session once a year in person if we are lucky, and eventually kid will grow up and hopefully want to play, so maybe by the time he is old enough to I will have a substantial array of creatures and terrain to show off and throw at him. 

I have been slowly buying reaper figures as they're fun to paint even though I am not great at it, and I have found it really helps with giving me a "happy space". Learned of Bones 4 just after everything wrapped up and couldn't get involved (too late to even the after-after party) and watched like a hawk for bones 5.

• Like 11

I saw a chart regarding people playing D&D - the numbers have grown drastically in the last few years. 5e has gotten a bunch more people. It was like 2018 had 4x the number of Player's Handbook purchases as 2017, or something nuts along those lines. Get more people into roleplaying games, and you get more people who want figures for said games. This is a darn good way to get a lot of figures for games.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:
3 hours ago, TGP said:

Just be sure to pledge a bit of money, $14 is a nice number, Now. Pledging something now means you get the KS price levels.

If you don’t do that, there is an upcharge of 20%. So one $14 Add-on choice would then be $16.80. 

This is Incorrect. 

The upcharge is ONLY if you back the project AFTER it ends next month. 

If you are already a backer, even if it's for $1, then you will have access to the KS prices. 

Any money that is pledged before the end of the project helps to unlock stretch goals; however, please pledge responsibly. 

What was incorrect about it?

I was trying to say exactly what everyone “correcting” me was saying. I just picked different words. 

Kroas did not state whether he had ever pledged any money or not.

I don’t get it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Where did you get the 4.72" number from?  I decided to do a little photoshopping to get some comparative sizes, and I think it's actually about 5.5" tall at the head.

Edit: I just looked back at the preview, and see that they stated the base is a 3" base, and that "this giant is 120mm tall," which would give the 4.72" figure.  I'm assuming he was saying the GIANT is 120mm tall; his scenic base appears to add another ~3/4 of an inch.

Edit 2: Just doing pixel measurements with a compass tool in GIMP, the base of the 3D print shown at ReaperCon is 311 pixels wide.  From the center of that line (as close as we can get to the center of the base) and measuring upward, then converting, I get 5.34" tall for the entire miniature (to top of head; the back end of the lightning bolt would seemingly be higher).  Doing the same thing from his right foot (best guess, as his toes are obscured) to the top of his head gives a height of the giant himself, from foot to top of head, of 4.87" (123.7 mm).  Not exactly the 120mm quoted in the update, but pretty darn close.

Going on the assumption that its round integral base is 3", as several other previewed mini's have been (Goroloth's unlock image specifically stated this), then he's taller, from base to top of head, than the number you quoted.

1144663376_StormGiants.thumb.JPG.d86b29157439521445eee828821a8ce2.JPG

Ignore the seeming disparity of the ruler and the grid.  The ruler wasn't flat against the grid, and perspective is playing tricks.

I took the photo from waist-high on the 5e Storm giant, as the ReaperCon 3D print's picture was taken at wait height (it was the center of the picture).  I also did an overlay of the 3D print on the render image supplied in the unlock goal image, and they are essentially the same height (slightly different angles accounting for the very minor discrepancies), so they haven't changed the render at all.

I'll work to put in the upcoming Storm Giant from Pathfinder's Legendary Adventures (due out later this month; Gallant Goblin did a size comparison with their preview brick), and post that later.

Thanks for all the effort. I have the gf9 ce storm giant so once bones 5 ships I guess I can maybe base the bones 5 one in such a way that you don't realize the size difference. 

Sanjay

6 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

4.25" isn't in between.  Thats specifically Pathfinder size...

Whats worse is all the pics of the storm giant make him look super tall.

at 5' per inch scale (so the most common scale for maps in D&D, 4.25 is only a little short for 5e - 

Hill Giants are 16',

Fire and Stone 18',

Frost 21'

Cloud 24'

Storm Giants 26'

Ostensibly, the Storm ought to be a little taller than it is, at just over 5" tall - but as it is, it makes a good (if slightly short) compromise in that it can act as a male Cloud or Storm giant. On the map, the base is the thing that really matters. 

The Wizkids minis are actually the ones that are out-sized - at 7" tall, that equates a pretty massive Empyrean (whose heights can be all over the place in 5e) - 35' tall or so. 

(This did not take into account ksbsnowowl's excellent work when posted). 

Edited by izzylobo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm not sure where some people are getting the idea that the Storm Giant is too small. Put into perspective, it's nearly 5 Sir Forscales tall. Compared to adventurer figures, I'm sure that it'll appear properly monolithic on the tabletop. It looks good, it'll be great to paint, and it'll be more than big enough when it's finally in our hands.

Well for me, I have the official d&d ce Giants: hill, frost, fire, storm and they are taller than the bones ones. So I suggested make them the same as the official ones but they don't.  

3 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I honestly don't remember how I learned of Bones 5's start date (parent brain is real... Toddlers suck the memories right out of your head).

Aww how old. My twin girls turn 4 in March 2020 :)

sanjay

Edited by StarFyre

I do prefer the Reaper fire and frost giants over the "official" ones, especially since there are multiples available. I hope the new fire giant stays in line with the already available ones. To my knowledge the newer Reaper giants also work on 3 inch bases, so they're big enough for D&D 5e combat in that. It's great that there are official giants, but having one frost giant or one fire giant just doesn't make for any useful encounter building, and they're too unique (and expensive) to just buy one sculpt again and again. So I'd rather take a warband of the smaller ones.

That said, if the new Yephima would fit with the official Cloud Giant I'd be very happy, since I like both sculpts.

The picture posted above does give me the impression that both Storm Giants would look cohesive when painted and based similarly. Their height difference is pretty minimal and the official one seems to be less bent in his pose. I'd field the two of them together. (granted this scale pic isn't actually both miniatures being physically placed next to each other but rather people scaling pictures based on data being given or estimated, but in the picture they look fine to me).

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Nunae said:

I do prefer the Reaper fire and frost giants over the "official" ones, especially since there are multiples available. I hope the new fire giant stays in line with the already available ones. To my knowledge the newer Reaper giants also work on 3 inch bases, so they're big enough for D&D 5e combat in that. It's great that there are official giants, but having one frost giant or one fire giant just doesn't make for any useful encounter building, and they're too unique (and expensive) to just buy one sculpt again and again. So I'd rather take a warband of the smaller ones.

That said, if the new Yephima would fit with the official Cloud Giant I'd be very happy, since I like both sculpts.

The picture posted above does give me the impression that both Storm Giants would look cohesive when painted and based similarly. Their height difference is pretty minimal and the official one seems to be less bent in his pose. I'd field the two of them together. (granted this scale pic isn't actually both miniatures being physically placed next to each other but rather people scaling pictures based on data being given or estimated, but in the picture they look fine to me)

Just fyi, there are 2 Frost and 2 fire Giants in the official gf9 line.  1 hill and 1 storm :)

I normally use 1 or 2 minis and counters for the rest since I rarely paint duplicate types of models. Demons and dragons are the exceptions, or stuff like skeletons nthat I don't care about and just rush them.

I didn't realize ppl try to get enough of models for d&d to not use counters until bones.  And the prepainted stuff.  All dms I know do it via countered and fewer Painted ones

sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skallabjorn said:

Some interesting statistics. In Bones 4, at this pledge amount we were 23 days into the kickstarter. There were 115 models in the core set, 43 add-on models had been unlocked, and 2 expansions were unlocked for another 83 models. We are currently sitting at 127 in the core set, 65 add-on models, and 2 expansions unlocked for another 82 models. Kind of stunning when you consider we are only 7 days in on this one. Just wow.

Which is another way of saying that my wallet is in for a severe beating.::D:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good morning from Maryland!  

Looks like we had some good pledging overnight, with only $20,000 remaining to go for some Greek goodness!  Though unless things pick up, I think we're looking at more of a midday Reaper time unlock. 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Neither the Greek Expansion or the Giant are posted on the KS page yet.... 

I’m not sure why they didn’t get that up yesterday. Maybe they ran out of time. Or perhaps they’re waiting for today’s unlock to update everything. 
    At least they’re getting lots

of pictures out to us via the emailed updates. 

• Like 5