ladystorm

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I suppose.

The big set of 5 dragons do seem to all be perched on 3" terrain pieces, but they also all massively overhang those bases. I haven't fully decided which ones I'm getting, but I suspect I will be placing them on 4" bases. Possibly even 5" for some of them.

Them fitting on the bases with their centers is good enough to me tbh. I might have to turn them around a bit in combat to make space for figures entering close combat, but I can use them on a 3 inch base.

Funnily enough, some of the Wizkids dragons need a bigger base than what they should need as well.

6 hours ago, StarFyre said:

Well for me, I have the official d&d ce Giants: hill, frost, fire, storm and they are taller than the bones ones. So I suggested make them the same as the official ones but they don't.  

I also have the official giants, from the old DDM prepaints to the newest Wizkids models. Personally, I think the official ones (especially the frost giant) are too large. It's like WOTC deliberately cranked up the scale creep because "bigger is better!" and made them all Huge just because it's more convenient for the rules. To me, it's like some guy jacking up his pickup truck with hydraulics because it's totes cool, yo; yet it never looks quite right or practical. The Bones giants are closer to Pathfinder sizes, as has been mentioned elsewhere, and in my mind they have a more appealing aesthetic when compared to adventurer figures. They may be smaller than Wizkids, but that does not detract anything from their quality. But everyone's tastes differ, and we can all like either one according to what appeals to them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I also have the official giants, from the old DDM prepaints to the newest Wizkids models. Personally, I think the official ones (especially the frost giant) are too large. It's like WOTC deliberately cranked up the scale creep because "bigger is better!" and made them all Huge just because it's more convenient for the rules. To me, it's like some guy jacking up his pickup truck with hydraulics because it's totes cool, yo; yet it never looks quite right or practical. The Bones giants are closer to Pathfinder sizes, as has been mentioned elsewhere, and in my mind they have a more appealing aesthetic when compared to adventurer figures. They may be smaller than Wizkids, but that does not detract anything from their quality. But everyone's tastes differ, and we can all like either one according to what appeals to them.

The size change in 3E was done on purpose because they had a hard time making huge sets.  
Now with 5E the giants have been restored to their proper size from 2E

I will say it does make them harder to store though...And as someone who had a hard time collecting all the "large sized" giants. It was nice that all the new sized giants came out in one set. 

Reading through it, I seem to be more fluid with my miniature sizes than other 5e players/DMs. Giants a bit on the small side, dragons a bit on the bigger size, wolves on calvary bases instead of 1inch are all okay to me. My Bones giants will get a bit more in terms of base decorations compared to other tabletop figures I guess.

I still like that the trend of "how big can we make them" seems to have stopped with Reaper and that there are even smaller ones than the 3 inch dragons. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

That might also be due to the fact that many PHBs needed replacing...

I credit Stranger Things with boosting the revival of D&D and TTRPGs.

The first season aired in the later part of 2016.  My kids watched it over Xmas break that year and got interested in D&D.  I jumped all over that, bought a started set and started playing with them in 2017 after not playing D&D for over 30 years.  I bought all of the core rulebooks in 2017, and by last year all of their friends were interested.  I run a campaign for 6 10-13 year olds now, and lots of my kids’ friends are interested or playing.

My son just joined a D&D club at his middle school that has 20+ kids - he got roped into DMing along with another of my players because they’re the “veterans”!

Our whole family went to ReaperCon this year, and the kids are into painting minis now too, and some of their friends have gotten into painting GW stuff on their own.

I think Reaper is benefiting from this broader trend.  Shows like Dice, Camera, Action!, Critical Role, and Acquisitions Inc have also helped show people new to TTRPGs how to play.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Number Based on 1000-1100 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,651,131
Current Total Backers: 13,356
Next Goal At $1,655,000
To go to Next Goal $3,869
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 1.1
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 1.1

Gain in last Hour: $3,479
New Backers This Hour: 21
Total Gain Today: $22,608
Total Gain 24 Hours: $86,674
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $2,055
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $3,505
Current Average Pledge: $123.62
Average Hourly Backers Today: 13.9
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 21.2
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,647,652
Previous Hour Total Backers: 13,335

SOON!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rubegon said:

The first season aired in the later part of 2016.  My kids watched it over Xmas break that year and got interested in D&D.  I jumped all over that, bought a started set and started playing with them in 2017 after not playing D&D for over 30 years.  I bought all of the core rulebooks in 2017, and by last year all of their friends were interested.  I run a campaign for 6 10-13 year olds now, and lots of my kids’ friends are interested or playing.

My son just joined a D&D club at his middle school that has 20+ kids - he got roped into DMing along with another of my players because they’re the “veterans”!

Our whole family went to ReaperCon this year, and the kids are into painting minis now too, and some of their friends have gotten into painting GW stuff on their own.

I think Reaper is benefiting from this broader trend.  Shows like Dice, Camera, Action!, Critical Role, and Acquisitions Inc have also helped show people new to TTRPGs how to play.

That's awesome that his school has a D&D club.  I wish we had that back in the day.  I mean, the the Satanic Panic of the 80s in full swing there was no way that was gonna happen but at least we are a bit more enlightened these days to our kids benefit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rubegon said:

That is a fair assessment.  Its been in several TV shows like Buffy and Big bang theory, but Stranger Things it was a focal point of the show.  I would also attribute the games streamed like Acquisitions Incorporated (my personal favorite) and Critical Roll and shows that are similar.  

But I also know them books have a shelf life of about 2 years before they need replaced.  Especially with kids.

2 minutes ago, Rignes said:

That's awesome that his school has a D&D club.  I wish we had that back in the day.  I mean, the the Satanic Panic of the 80s in full swing there was no way that was gonna happen but at least we are a bit more enlightened these days to our kids benefit.

When I was in Highschool the only thing they had "nerd related"  was a magic the gathering group.  Even Chess Club was empty.  D&D was still the unspoken hobby.  That was back in the late 90s

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rubegon said:

Stranger Things gave it a good boost, to be sure, but there are several other factors as well. WOTC started doing marketing at a stronger pace when the ill-fated 4th Edition came out, and they had Penny Arcade and PvP doing a podcast highlighting it. While the edition was a failure, the podcast itself was extremely popular and Acquisitions Incorporated was born. It had enough rave reviews that they had started playing it live at Penny Arcade Expo, and they started having full theaters due to the great work by DM Chris Perkins and the other players. Both D&D and Acq. Inc. brands grew quickly since then, and D&D got its name out into the mainstream because of it. Many more live streaming events have popped up on YouTube and Twitch since then, and now it's more popular than ever. The geek truly have inherited the Earth.

D&D here in this small city is more popular than ever, as well. At our FLGS there are 3 different groups running at the same time in the basement, and you can hear everyone have a great time every night they come in.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, StarFyre said:

Aww how old. My twin girls turn 4 in March 2020 :)

sanjay

17 Months, so he's quite a handful at this stage.  Great kid, but toddlers are rough some days.

40 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

The size change in 3E was done on purpose because they had a hard time making huge sets. 

Was it really, though?  They changed the giants back to their 1e sizes in August of 2000 when 3.0 came out.  This was largely because the reason for making them all Huge in 2e was because they didn't include demons and devil in the core rules (due to the D&D is evil scare).  With fiends restored, there was no reason to keep giants as the pumped-up bad guys they were, because the hole they needed to fill no longer existed.

Keep in mind that they didn't start making pre-painted mini's until September of 2003.  Yes, they had the metal Chainmail mini's before that, but I seriously doubt that 'difficulty making huge plastic mini's' was a factor in the size reversion, when those mini's didn't enter the picture for another 3 years.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

17 Months, so he's quite a handful at this stage.  Great kid, but toddlers are rough some days.

Was it really, though?  They changed the giants back to their 1e sizes in August of 2000 when 3.0 came out.  This was largely because the reason for making them all Huge in 2e was because they didn't include demons and devil in the core rules (due to the D&D is evil scare).  With fiends restored, there was no reason to keep giants as the pumped-up bad guys they were, because the hole they needed to fill no longer existed.

Keep in mind that they didn't start making pre-painted mini's until September of 2003.  Yes, they had the metal Chainmail mini's before that, but I seriously doubt that 'difficulty making huge plastic mini's' was a factor in the size reversion, when those mini's didn't enter the picture for another 3 years.

Because making those minis in metal would cost even more (to the consumer, which would lead to lower sales which is why chainmail failed.).  You can see that by how much it cost to get the original black dragon in metal.  They just couldn't get the sales.  Yet mage knight was booming.  When they finally started their plastic line.  I dont think they were entirely confident that it would take off like it did.  

Now correct me if Im wrong.  In 3E I dont think all the giants were reduced to large size.  (dont feel like digging out my books) Otherwise why would they make huge sized cloud and storm giants.  (also never played 1E)  Then they changed the titans to be like 2E giants.  So  they really didnt "fill that gap" with demons and devils instead they made 2 versions of the same creature  Giants and Titans.  They expanded it.  

Number Based on 1100-1200 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,654,150
Current Total Backers: 13,368
Next Goal At $1,655,000
To go to Next Goal $850
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 0.3
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 0.2

Gain in last Hour: $3,019
New Backers This Hour: 12
Total Gain Today: $25,627
Total Gain 24 Hours: $87,129
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $2,136