Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

I'm not following the KS comments with dedication, but I check in once a day or so to see if there's anything interesting.   Have to laugh at the near-daily clueless requests for special bundle packages (like all the dragons, or 6 copies of xxx) at "a slight discount" from KS pricing.  Just... wow. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Forumites are a sure thing, and a relatively small part of their customer base.   Social media sites are allowing them to reach new customers in greater numbers than they could generate in the forums.   But yeah,  I kind of feel like the honeymoon is over, too. 

As evidence, the forums generated over 2100 replies to the pre-launch excitement thread before the campaign ever got started.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, criticalhit said:

Sahuagin with slashing weapons and bludgeoning weapons would also be awesome.

A boy can dreeeeeeeeeam.

Doubt you'll see that.  At least in D&D, slashing and bludgeoning weapons take penalties underwater.  You can jab a spear underwater very effectively.  Not so much with swinging a baseball bat.

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

For those that don't want the Undersea Expansion because you'll never run underwater campaigns, I just wanted to point out that most all the models in the expansion so far could easily be water-lined and put to use interacting with characters on boats or that come to close to the water's edge...

No doubt I can find a use for them if I really wanted to - after all, that's what makes the Chronoscope minis so much fun for me!  :)

And I hope nobody takes my disinterest in the aquatic expansion the wrong way - I think those models are cool, and I'm tempted to get the expansion just for a chance to figure out a use for the ogres, fish-men, and mermaids, if for no other reason! 

• Like 7

Number Based on 1500-1600 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,787,016
Current Total Backers: 13,903
Next Goal At $1,790,000
To go to Next Goal $2,984
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 0.9
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 1.6

Gain in last Hour: $3,150
New Backers This Hour: 11
Total Gain Today: $26,865
Total Gain 24 Hours: $40,552
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,679
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $1,914
Current Average Pledge: $128.53
Average Hourly Backers Today: 8.2
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 8.3
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,783,866
Previous Hour Total Backers: 13,892
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

No doubt I can find a use for them if I really wanted to - after all, that's what makes the Chronoscope minis so much fun for me!  :)

And I hope nobody takes my disinterest in the aquatic expansion the wrong way - I think those models are cool, and I'm tempted to get the expansion just for a chance to figure out a use for the ogres, fish-men, and mermaids, if for no other reason! 

I think you're fine. Expressing disinterest in a particular option is pretty tame.

For what it's worth, I am not particularly excited for merfolk, but I do like the armored fish and the slithe concepts. Variation is normal.

I still can't quite wrap my head around shark #607. I can't decide if it's a brilliant sculpt of a slightly cartooned shark, an unintentional divergence from natural shark morphology, or a failure of my own understanding of sharks.

It's probably a combination of all three.

• Like 8

Just now, klarg1 said:

I think you're fine. Expressing disinterest in a particular option is pretty tame.

For what it's worth, I am not particularly excited for merfolk, but I do like the armored fish and the slithe concepts. Variation is normal.

I still can't quite wrap my head around shark #607. I can't decide if it's a brilliant sculpt of a slightly cartooned shark, an unintentional divergence from natural shark morphology, or a failure of my own understanding of sharks.

It's probably a combination of all three.

perhaps fantasy sharks have lips!

upper lip i don't mind so much, sharks tend to have the jaw overhang the teeth up there, and could be seen as a 'lip' even though it's really the gumline and teeth being pushed forwards and down, but the bottom lip is weird

• Like 5

Maybe a matter of perspective, combined with the weird awkwardness of the rendering engine?  I remember thinking much the same thing about the zombie shark from the last Kickstarter and the shark-man from an earlier KS, but those both ended up looking much better in person....

• Like 7

Oh... :blink:

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

As for the underwater expansion, my guess is the deep beholder and the devil ray we saw earlier will make an appearance in that.

I'm kinda hoping the Dolphins @TaleSpinner sculpted will get Bones versions.

Also hoping for a big Murene Eel and a shipwreck.

What if the glittery one is right? What if the pirate ship we're getting... is a wreck... :zombie:

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Huh, found out this...

"While sharks do have teeth, their teeth are embedded in their lips, not in the jaws. Scientists have discovered that the exterior of the shark jaw has some structure that may provide necessary force. That structure is a kind of skin made up of small, octagon-shaped mineralized tiles held together with tiny flexible ligaments."

From: http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/57131/how-do-sharks-swallow/

Apparently sharks do have lips, but not like we're thinking...::):

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

upper lip i don't mind so much, sharks tend to have the jaw overhang the teeth up there, and could be seen as a 'lip' even though it's really the gumline and teeth being pushed forwards and down, but the bottom lip is weird

I think mouth is also kind of strangely forward pointing for a shark with that kind of body type.

On the other hand, if I wanted a slightly exaggerated shark, or possibly even a slightly uncanny wereshark, it's actually kind of brilliant.

• Like 7