Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome!

Great Poem!

Oh please No!

Only if they do it in two versions then, we need at least one generic ship to be able to function as a Navy/Merchant/Pirate Ship.

While I love Undead it would be too specific in translucent.

It might put me off buying it.

A translucent, any translucent, can be primed and painted in the same fashion as any other bones, and perhaps faster as on something this big base-coating with a rattle can is a definite possibility.

If it's going to be done in a translucent then it needs to be clear.  That way you can tint it green, red, purple, blue, gray, a see through brown or any other color or combination that your imagination can envision.

GEM

• Like 6

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ship is translucent, I agree that clear would be the way to go. However, I hope that it is not. There is going to be an awful lot of unpainted time for this sucker, and it is likely to get used unpainted before painted. I'd rather it be opaque from the get-go with that in mind. Not the end of the world if it isn't, but it would make me less likely to want it.

• Like 9

Number Based on 1100-1200 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,865,670
Current Total Backers: 14,308
Next Goal At $1,890,000
To go to Next Goal $24,330
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 11.3
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 14.4

Gain in last Hour: $2,159
New Backers This Hour: 12
Total Gain Today: $15,065
Total Gain 24 Hours: $40,675
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,159
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $1,695
Current Average Pledge: $130.39
Average Hourly Backers Today: 6.6
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 8.9
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,863,511
Previous Hour Total Backers: 14,296
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

If the ship is translucent, I agree that clear would be the way to go. However, I hope that it is not. There is going to be an awful lot of unpainted time for this sucker, and it is likely to get used unpainted before painted. I'd rather it be opaque from the get-go with that in mind. Not the end of the world if it isn't, but it would make me less likely to want it.

Krylon or Rustoleum both make rattlecan spray paint made for outdoor plastic furniture in a lot of colors. 20 minutes for a couple of light coats of dark brown, black or whatever color, and you have your basic, usable paint job. Half an hour more in a couple of days to mask and your waist band color is on.

And if you have an airbrush, the second color will be even easier.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Krylon or Rustoleum both make rattlecan spray paint made for outdoor plastic furniture in a lot of colors.

Has anyone tested them on Bones plastic?  As low cost spray paints, that would be good to know for anyone painting big models.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Number Based on 1100-1200 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,865,670
Current Total Backers: 14,308
Next Goal At $1,890,000
To go to Next Goal $24,330
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 11.3
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 14.4

Gain in last Hour: $2,159
New Backers This Hour: 12
Total Gain Today: $15,065
Total Gain 24 Hours: $40,675
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,159
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $1,695
Current Average Pledge: $130.39
Average Hourly Backers Today: 6.6
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 8.9
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,863,511
Previous Hour Total Backers: 14,296

Pace is picking up!  Today’s looking about the same as the last 3 days.  We might get an unlock today if it keeps up. 

I have D&D with my kids’ group tomorrow and planning to spend half of the session on a painting 101.  I’ll also let the kids know about the KS in case any of them are interested in getting an expac or something.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm DMing the Savage Tide adventure path with some of the same people.  I don't need an excuse to bring up a pirate ship, I've been taunting them with dreams of having their own sailing vessel for ages....

Using 3.XE/Pathfinder rules or converted to 5e/pf2.0?

Sanjay

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Take a look at 77450 and 77068 (for example; all the Invisible Adventurers are also available in both clear and white). I didn't notice much if any difference between the two versions of the figure.

The clear ones are a bit harder, not as hard as Bones Black.  I had a bag of clear and white adventurers donated to my paint and take and had a chance to examine them before priming.  

56 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

And don't forget, folks. General consensus I have seen for a "tabletop standard" paint job is 3 colors, plus a level of base finish. Colored sand and white glue are the easiest for that, IMO. Not saying you can't or shouldn't strive for more, this is just where I see the line being drawn between Painted, Unpainted, Primed, and partially painted minis. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Basecoat, drybrush and wash will get a lot of figures ready for play. A neatly painted solid color base is all you need for table games. 

18 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Has anyone tested them on Bones plastic?  As low cost spray paints, that would be good to know for anyone painting big models.

I successfully painted the Behir with Testor's color change spray paint.  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87881-77492-behir/&tab=comments#comment-1863502

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

I feel like Reaper should release an illustrated instructional phamplet for us:  “How to Casually Introduce a 36” long Pirate Ship into the Covnersation at your Game Group.”  

I think that we’d all benefit. ::):

How about, "Hello good sophont.  Have you accepted Ron Hawkins as your president and pirate ship dealer?".

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

35 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Yes, make sure that you wash the Bones in alcohol first, then use very light coats. I especially like the Rustoleum, runs about 4-5 bucks at wallyworld. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Didn't really recognize the minis, but instantly recognized the terrain kit...  I have a box of each of those sitting in the closet, waiting for paint...

Really surprising they didn't include this figure in the update, instead they just said "we haven't reached it yet".

And that's why I'm planning on buying two of those portable booths...  Errr, two only gives you 33" of work space.  Uh oh.

Yeah, my work space is about 20x15. I don't think it's gonna cut it.

• Like 5

• Reaper User
1 minute ago, Corsair said:

Yes, make sure that you wash the Bones in alcohol first, then use very light coats. I especially like the Rustoleum, runs about 4-5 bucks at wallyworld. 

My experience with both these primers on CAV minis (same plastic as Bones) leaves them tacky, even the "made for plastic" ones. I always recommend to people (when asked) to stay away from them, but Im glad you have had success with them. Just my two cents worth! :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Surprised the social media goal hasn't been reached yet. Especially as it adds to core. 

Speaking for myself, I do not do anything on any of those platforms and neither do most of my friends so there is no point on being on them.  They have added a post on the Reddit r/minipainting subforum (https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/dgxd4o/bones_5_gragg_elfslayer/) it had been at 22 upvotes but then the "I hate everything and everyone crowd" has down voted them to nothing last I checked. 

Social media is such a vial place between the nasty people and lack of privacy it really does not surprise me.  While I have played D&D and Board games for most of my life, the mess of social media is why I rather game or hobby than stare at my phone or argue with someone who has no open mind.  

Oh, and my profession is software engineering and for the company I work for I am always integrating into those platforms so I know how they work, I just refuse to use them.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CAVBOSS said:

My experience with both these primers on CAV minis (same plastic as Bones) leaves them tacky, even the "made for plastic" ones. I always recommend to people (when asked) to stay away from them, but Im glad you have had success with them. Just my two cents worth! :)

Hiya Boss! My best experience with them has been on the newer Bones Black minis, so that may be the difference. My CAVs have all been either brush painted or airbrushed using regular acrylics. Is the new CAV kickstarter stuff in the older material or the stuff the Enforcer is made in?

• Like 6