Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 hour ago, Piata said:

Unfortunately, I'm kind of underwhelmed by Bones V. I tend to dislike extremely large figures and would prefer to make my own terrain so there's not a whole lot I want so far.

I was interested in the Greek expansion until there was a cloud giant included. I don't think I'll need underwater figures or a pirate themed set or a samurai themed set and dungeon dwellers is very much geared to first time backers.

The upside is I'm spending less than I thought. Core set + paint + maybe the trebuchet and catapult.

I am curious to know which side of the coin the majority of backers fall on. Given that the current average pledge is creeping close to 140$, I would say that people are pretty pleased by Reaper's offerings. You are always going to have those who are not pleased by everything (even I have a FEW items I am not interested in), but I think Reaper is going really strong on having a large number of items that appeal to the majority of backers. Final judgement will have to wait for the end, of course, but I think it is going very strong and am quite happy with the offerings thus far.

• Like 9

I suspect I'm in the minority, but I see bones as being useful for two things: 1. To make large figures that would be prohibitively expensive in metal and 2. To make smaller creatures that one might need a lot of such as goblins or kobolds and to order that many in metal would, once again, be prohibitively expensive. Otherwise just make minis in metal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piata said:

Unfortunately, I'm kind of underwhelmed by Bones V. I tend to dislike extremely large figures and would prefer to make my own terrain so there's not a whole lot I want so far.

I was interested in the Greek expansion until there was a cloud giant included. I don't think I'll need underwater figures or a pirate themed set or a samurai themed set and dungeon dwellers is very much geared to first time backers.

The upside is I'm spending less than I thought. Core set + paint + maybe the trebuchet and catapult.

@Piata i dont understand why having a figure you dont like, make you not want an expansion.   Lets say you get 12-15 that you like and 1 or 2 you dont.  trade, sell it, etc.

i dont like/want about half of them but i'll deal with them.  

I want:

bronze golem

hydra

harpies

cyclops

centaur

leucrotta

cloud giant

the rest i dont. but its still worth it money wise.

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

@Piata i dont understand why having a figure you dont like, make you not want an expansion.   Lets say you get 12-15 that you like and 1 or 2 you dont.  trade, sell it, etc.

I want:

bronze golem

hydra

harpies

cyclops

centaur

leucrotta

cloud giant

the rest i dont. but its still worth it money wise.

Sanjay

To be fair, "worth it" is subjective.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, dwarvenranger said:

I suspect I'm in the minority, but I see bones as being useful for two things: 1. To make large figures that would be prohibitively expensive in metal and 2. To make smaller creatures that one might need a lot of such as goblins or kobolds and to order that many in metal would, once again, be prohibitively expensive. Otherwise just make minis in metal.

That's honestly the major things I like it for. I'm definitely inclined to acquire in pewter for my PC, for example.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Pineapple said:

To be fair, "worth it" is subjective.

And also don't forget that there is a tactile aspect to tabletop gaming. There are many that prefer metal to resin or plastic, not due to quality of casting, but just because they like the sheer weight of a metal figure. Sometimes to the point where they will add washers or such to their basing for plastic or resin minis. What does (and does not) appeal in a mini is VERY personal and can consist of many seemingly unrelated factors.

• Like 6

agreed; i should have mentioned cost wise.  but if you dont care about cost, why are you in a bones kickstarter?  many of these figures you can find similar ones done with better detail, etc in resin or metal.  Not all of course.  

I assume ppl are in a bones kickstarter to get lots of figures for a decent price and the fact that ONE figure would derail that?  that needs further explanation to make sense.

otherwise its like random insanity.  thats like my 3 year old twins.  they cry cause the tower they used, was put one cm to far to the left vs the right...

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

I am curious to know which side of the coin the majority of backers fall on. Given that the current average pledge is creeping close to 140$, I would say that people are pretty pleased by Reaper's offerings.

Obliviously Bones V is already a huge success and there's clearly enough happy people to break records for Reaper.

I don't know what past pledge averages for Bones have been but an average of $140 to me says everyone's getting the core set and 1 or 2 other things which isn't exactly a slam dunk. However, I'm sure those numbers will go up as people with $1 pledges finalize their purchases.

There just haven't been any clear home runs for me like Bones IV. I don't need more skeletons, adventurers, towns people or dragons. How about a horse drawn carriage? Or people on horseback. Or tents, bedrolls and a campfire.

23 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Sanjay

If it was one small figure, it would be fine. But the cloud giantess is huge. Yeah, I could sell what I don't want but I don't want the hassle. This is just my opinion of course. Nothing tops the shear value of these kickstarters and clearly some people are happy if they're spending $600+.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piata said:

Obliviously Bones V is already a huge success and there's clearly enough happy people to break records for Reaper.

I don't know what past pledge averages for Bones have been but an average of $140 to me says everyone's getting the core set and 1 or 2 other things which isn't exactly a slam dunk. However, I'm sure those numbers will go up as people with $1 pledges finalize their purchases.

There just haven't been any clear home runs for me like Bones IV. I don't need more skeletons, adventurers, towns people or dragons. How about a horse drawn carriage? Or people on horseback. Or tents, bedrolls and a campfire.

If it was one small figure, it would be fine. But the cloud giantess is huge. Yeah, I could sell what I don't want but I don't want the hassle. This is just my opinion of course. Nothing tops the shear value of these kickstarters and clearly some people are happy if they're spending $600+.

the averages, at the end of the campaigns have been around 180-210. it goes up a lot in the last 4-5 days. 

the thing that seems strange. what if part 3 of the greek set is amazing and you want all of it. you still wouldnt pay for it cause 1 figure? even its larger than the rest.  thats like saying 22/25 on a test isn't good enough. it has to be 25/25 :) just seems very strange.

I cant think of anyone ever saying every single figure in a core set or expansion is perfect to them but the deal is so good its worth it.

they've been hinting at something cool in part 3. cant wait to see what it is.

sanjay

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm a first time backer.  I only discovered this hobby after the bones IV kickstarter was done the pledge manager closed.  I guess the more often you back and the larger your collection the more picky one can be.  It only makes sense, if you have a ton of one thing from previous kickstarters than having more of them isn't ideal, especially if you are happy with the amount you have.

As for me, I'm super happy with what's on offer for Bones V since I kind of need a bit of everything anyway.    I'm super stoked about the Thing in the Well.  

So far I'm in on the core set, the Dungeon Dwellers expansion, the paints, and the Dragon Bust.  I'm still eyeballing the Greek expansion but we'll have to see about that once the 3rd tier unlocks.

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I'm a first time backer.  I only discovered this hobby after the bones IV kickstarter was done the pledge manager closed.  I guess the more often you back and the larger your collection the more picky one can be.  It only makes sense, if you have a ton of one thing from previous kickstarters than having more of them isn't ideal, especially if you are happy with the amount you have.

As for me, I'm super happy with what's on offer for Bones V since I kind of need a bit of everything anyway.    I'm super stoked about the Thing in the Well.  

So far I'm in on the core set, the Dungeon Dwellers expansion, the paints, and the Dragon Bust.  I'm still eyeballing the Greek expansion but we'll have to see about that once the 3rd tier unlocks.

its everything.  i've been collecting/painting for a long time but i dont have as many figures as many people here, cause i sell a lot to get specific things i want.  i could use 20 kobolds since i have 4. but i wont paint 20 kobolds. after years of warhammer and army commissions, i will no longer paint large groups of units :)

Yay - pledge amt increased faster :) 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Rignes said:

This is my fifth Bones KS, and I have been 90+% of "all in" on every one so far. Greed? Compulsive collecting? Hoarding? Who knows. I figure at the worst, my heirs will be able to get premium prices for them on Ebay after I'm gone, and in the interim I get the joy of some really awesome minis.

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Skallabjorn said:

This is my fifth Bones KS, and I have been 90+% of "all in" on every one so far. Greed? Compulsive collecting? Hoarding? Who knows. I figure at the worst, my heirs will be able to get premium prices for them on Ebay after I'm gone, and in the interim I get the joy of some really awesome minis.

Hah, I think my wife would castrate me if I went all in.  

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, Skallabjorn said:

Compulsive collecting  -- that is the nicest way i've heard someone say "addict"  :)

Sanjay

• Like 2
  • Haha 7