ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

20 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i kind of want a giant flying fish with a brine goblin riding it...

But wouldn't an underwater goblin ride a goblin shark? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cdorf said:

I agree that the Chronoscope offering in Bones 4 was a bit hit and miss.  I think that they were trying to do what they do with other expansions and have it be a little bit of everything around a theme.  The problem with Chronoscope as a theme is that range is so varied.  So the offering comes off scatter shot.  I honestly think one of the best things they can do is offer Chronoscope figures as encounter stretch goals.  That way they would be more focused. 

My impression is that they thought the sci-fi dinosaurs would carry the expansion and they're disappointed that they didn't. 

I would have been all for the expansion if the five dinos had all been variants of one type - All Blackfoot, All Skywing, or All Thunderfoot - wouldn't have mattered which type.  But one of each isn't worth much to me as a part of what I feel the biggest markets of sci-fi mini buyers are - table top game players looking to build units. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

once i get the hang of digital sculpting i'm doing dinosaur busts...and dino minis. Naturally. First on my list would be a zombie rex. WIth a triceratops skull still stabbed into him so you know how he died

that would be awesome.

• Like 8

I wonder what the likelihood is of the miniatures in the "encounters" being broken out for individual sale at retail.

Like, I don't have a use for the whole troll encounter, but I could use the goats and shepherd.

I don't have a use for the whole spider encounter, but I could use the spiders and the halfling.

I don't have a use for the whole skeleton encounter, but I could use the mounted skeleton.

Etc., etc.

Didn't they break the minis out of Dragons Don't Share for individual sale at retail?

10 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I have been sketching the idea of it to use when I start trying to sculpt it

Zombie T-Rex is definitely a staple for Tomb of Annihilation.

Edited by criticalhit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Okay, an easy way to picture the size of the busts is that 1/6 is GI Joe or Barbie sized.

On the Sci-fi/Chrono front, at least on Reaper Live yesterday they did answer about it honestly. Chrono was the weakest of all the sections on B4 so it is understandable that they are trying to get the highest return on backer's interest. I hope this time they just do smaller Encounters for the sci-fi stuff, that might sell better.

I would support that!

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

once i get the hang of digital sculpting i'm doing dinosaur busts...and dino minis. Naturally. First on my list would be a zombie rex. WIth a triceratops skull still stabbed into him so you know how he died

WANT!!!

1 hour ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I would love to do a bust at some point. The work required to "scale up" one of those to a decent bust would really require almost entirely resculpting it. Scale is a big consideration when deciding detail level in a sculpt. So, if I had my choice, I would like to do a new design from scratch. Something meant to be a bust from conception.

WANT!!!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I would love to do a bust at some point. The work required to "scale up" one of those to a decent bust would really require almost entirely resculpting it. Scale is a big consideration when deciding detail level in a sculpt. So, if I had my choice, I would like to do a new design from scratch. Something meant to be a bust from conception.

@Rainbow Sculptor, have you ever considered starting a Patreon to fund some of these personal projects and releasing STLs to backers?

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, criticalhit said:

I wonder what the likelihood is of the miniatures in the "encounters" being broken out for individual sale at retail.

They've stated a couple of times already that they haven't decided.  My guess is that's a decision they won't make for another year or more. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Clearman said:

@Rainbow Sculptor, have you ever considered starting a Patreon to fund some of these personal projects and releasing STLs to backers?

Yes, We've started rolling the ball in that direction and will likely be making some announcements on that front starting in the new year. 

30 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I have been sketching the idea of it to use when I start trying to sculpt it

IMG_20191023_091440.jpg

Really cool piece! Hope to see you make it :)

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cdorf said:

The problem with Chronoscope as a theme is that range is so varied.  So the offering comes off scatter shot.

In hindsight, it would've been nice if they'd picked a single subset of Chronoscope for each kickstarter, and went hog wild with it. A really good Wild West set, for example, then the next year a big Zombie Apocalypse expansion., and the next year it's all robots and aliens. Etc. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, ironregime said:

In hindsight, it would've been nice if they'd picked a single subset of Chronoscope for each kickstarter, and went hog wild with it. A really good Wild West set, for example, then the next year a big Zombie Apocalypse expansion., and the next year it's all robots and aliens. Etc. 

I think that would be a good approach for Chronoscope type stuff. Can't please everyone but keeping a more cohesive theme might generate more interest.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well my pledge now includes 4 busts and a dragon. 

due to budgetary constraints, I will need to wait for the pledge manager to add the core.   But im not passing it up this time. 

I was contemplating life without a Bones core set to paint, as I will be finished with Bones3 before this ships.

I mean yes I have a couple (4) of mostly unpainted expansion sets and a goblinmath 20 of metal figures,

but I like bones.  I can paint them slowly (Baroque Lizardman series) or quickly just to finish them.   

metal figures I mostly paint more slowly, the one I painted too fast this year still kinda bugs me. 

So once more I will take the plunge for the core. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, ironregime said:

That's basically what they did in Bones 3.  They had the Mythos expansion, and then 3 sci-fi add ons - the Darkstar Corsairs @ $10, the Sledgehammer at $30, and the Space Mouslings at $10.  Mythos not my thing, and the sledgehammer was too 40k for me, but I was all over the Darkstar Corsairs and even picked up some space mouslings for my kids. 

Then in Bones 4 they did the one kitchen sink Chronoscope sci-fi expansion, and the Modern Scenics add-on for $20.   I was all over that Modern Scenics option - I picked up 3, and am waiting for the barrels to hit retail so I can get loads more. 

It sounds like they may be looking at this years Chronoscope expansion to be more specific, and aimed at pulp again, like the Mythos was.  That's fine, but at least throw us a sci-fi add on. 

• Like 13