ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 hour ago, rubegon said:

Cool - that’s good to know!  I have TYP but haven’t run anything from it yet.  Having a set ready to run Sunless Citadel would be pretty handy!

It's only missing a few things one would need.  A dragon wyrmling.  A wight (in plate armor ... Hey, look! Grave Kings...).  A spirit undead of some sort (an Allip in one module, a shadow in the other).  Some stirges.  A hobgoblin and a bugbear or two.  Twig Blights (but those two small wooden beings in the initial Core set would work for those).  Some Duergar (they just released the Dark Dwarf Pounder in the online store; he was the free mini of the month here in October.  The Dwarves of the just-revealed Dwarf King's Crypt encounter would work well for them, and give you the needed spirit mini, and something to use as the wight in plate armor [it was a dead dwarf, after all]).  Some troglodytes.  Furniture pieces (animated objects).

The big, memorable, often-fought enemies though?  Kobolds, Goblins, Skeletons, Dire Rats, a Troll, a male druid, a female wizard, a male knight, an ogre, a succubus, a couple dragons (size Tiny and Medium in the original).  The Dungeon Dwellers set gets you well on your way.

I must say that the Sunless Citadel, in its original incarnation, was a FANTASTIC module.  A great introductory module, both for players and DM's.  It is still very highly regarded by we in the 3rd edition community, as probably the best 1st level module in all of 3e's Open Gaming License.  Careful with the White Dragon Wyrmling in 5e, though... the original 3e wyrmling dealt 1d6 cold damage with its breath weapon, not 5e's 5d8 cold damage...  Both are supposedly CR 2, but the 5e one has better stats in almost every respect, plus that ridiculous breath weapon (learning this was the first inclination to me that 5e just wasn't for me; I highly dislike many of the designs they strove for, like a 5d8 breath weapon on a CR 2 monster...)

In Forge of Fury, watch out for the Roper.  In 3e they had human level intelligence; there was a sidebar explaining to the DM how this encounter is over the heads of the level 3-5 PC's playing the adventure (they were CR 10 in 3.0 and CR 12 in 3.5...), and it was specifically one of the system's intended 5%-of-encounters-are-overwhelming-in-CR design goals.  The PC's are supposed to back out stealthily, or talk their way out of the encounter... But in 5e Ropers have animal-level intelligence, and can't speak...

Those are the two biggest snags in running the revised versions, FYI.

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

A couple of people have been requesting stirges in the comments, so we could see them in this KS or as a future release. Reaper has the sculpts in metal, at 2 for 4.99, so they may think that is enough. Me, I want a whole Blood Bank worth of Stirges, a dozen or more, and in metal that would hit about 30$.  A bit much for a flock of low level monsters.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Not a dwarf fan but count me impressed. Not gonna get it but I'd recommend it.

I'm not overly fond of Reapers style of dwarves (but getting 4 of the free Dark Dwarf Pounders this month may change my mind...), but the set is very well designed.  And $20 for 15 mini's, two of which are fairly massive pieces of terrain (and a 3rd that is still quite sizable), ain't bad...

I may just have to get it, regardless.

12 minutes ago, criticalhit said:

I don't have any use for terrain, but I need those undead dwarves.

Something tells me you won't be hard pressed to find someone to give that terrain to... :poke:::D:

Did I read mention of an officially-sanctioned trading thread?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

No female dwarves? Awwwwww......... (wasn't actually expecting any, but I do love me some female dwarves)

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I like the dwarf tomb, but I am disappointed that we don't get any female dwarves

Reaper made a comment in the KS comments that we may get a female dwarf elsewhere in the campaign. 

5FBEC5CD-8B88-40B7-9359-C0CDAB3E6A98.thumb.jpeg.7b8ff48c5b70c7eb05497a26935cc802.jpeg

Edited by Ardeus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I'm not overly fond of Reapers style of dwarves

I don’t agree Reaper has a style for their Dwarves.

I believe each sculptor Reaper uses has their own style, and Reaper uses a lot of different sculptors.

These are some of my favourites.

This one is by Jason Wiebe

6D0D858A-8B45-4292-B662-EADA0FA07D94.jpeg.a4e4c4d2b1fc633440b30bdc411a54ba.jpeg

This one is by Werner Klocke

1C001B1F-D70B-481E-8983-E7C36F5141C0.jpeg.337c61025e91cfeb86073d9dabff3ab7.jpeg

This one is by Tom Mason

58CB61E8-205C-4E20-AA02-C37E5A82A4F6.jpeg.8b460129442a13bf22ab55b2e19a46da.jpeg

And these are the Bones V Dwarves, also done by Tom MasonE55337CA-17D5-402F-BE0E-6FDDE8109E88.thumb.jpeg.aa7cf82109ac738e75d259d514b5a07a.jpeg38686B36-EA59-4161-99DE-AFB9400F7D41.thumb.jpeg.e9fea0afc5debe1a38dfb5c01e66463c.jpeg

I have to admit the style of these new Dwarves is not my favourite.

I’m guessing that difference from Toms earlier Dwarves is due to those early ones were physical sculpts while these new ones are digital, and that’s affected his style, which I admit is a bit of a disappointment to me.

Will most likely still get the dwarf encounter though.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

I guess it's not the style, so much as the proportions. They all have overly-large heads, for example. They don't really mesh at all with the PPM dwarves I have, primarily from the D&D 3e days. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Tried "Reset Password", which didn't seem to do anything, even after clearing cookies for the site. Then I tried registering (even though I had previously been using the same registration from several previous projects. That took my information just fine. So there's that.

Idiosyncratic behavior for a commerce website, though.

You might want to let @kit know. 

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

As I expected, this is a wonderful Encounter, and looks like a really good option to create a not-Moria.

GOSH DANG IT PEZLER :lol:

I wasn't planning to get it, but darned if you didn't persuade me with that simgle sentence!

Plus I find their gloriously braided beards totally awesome. I think I may decree that these are lady dwarves in our games, cuz wow I have hair envy over how lush those locks are. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

20 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

GOSH DANG IT PEZLER :lol:

I wasn't planning to get it, but darned if you didn't persuade me with that simgle sentence!

Plus I find their gloriously braided beards totally awesome. I think I may decree that these are lady dwarves in our games, cuz wow I have hair envy over how lush those locks are. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

WOOHOO!!!!!! Bones 5 Enablement achievement unlocked!

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

Budget being so far below NEED, I'm debating a few longer term options.  What would you estimate the Fathom Tyrant will retail for?  That could free up some of our budget for this week's offerings, since underwater creatures aren't high on our list.  Thanks!

• Like 5

Am loving the Dwarf encounter. If you brought 2 you'd have a 12 man dwarf unit for wargames and paired statues and gates. And also 6 zombies/8 ghosts to fight against. 

Am really looking forward to the pulp encounter or add on or expansion. Also keen to see where they go with Brinewind. 

They havent yet done the dire badger that I carefully spammed them about, half orcs, or the ogre that got raised by elves...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I must say that the Sunless Citadel, in its original incarnation, was a FANTASTIC module.  A great introductory module, both for players and DM's.  It is still very highly regarded by we in the 3rd edition community, as probably the best 1st level module in all of 3e's Open Gaming License.  Careful with the White Dragon Wyrmling in 5e, though... the original 3e wyrmling dealt 1d6 cold damage with its breath weapon, not 5e's 5d8 cold damage...  Both are supposedly CR 2, but the 5e one has better stats in almost every respect, plus that ridiculous breath weapon (learning this was the first inclination to me that 5e just wasn't for me; I highly dislike many of the designs they strove for, like a 5d8 breath weapon on a CR 2 monster...)

Thanks for all the info - I’ve heard Sunless Citadel mentioned a lot.  It’s one of the classics.  My exposure was to AD&D when I was a kid for a bit, then nothing until 5e - I missed a lot!

5e seemed off to me at first, but I feel like I get it now.  The game is balanced differently such that monsters seem more powerful than they really are.  Action economy dominates and death saves are a pretty big safety net.

An L2 party encounter with a wrymling doesn’t sound too bad to me.  The breath weapon is a 15’ cone, has a DC12 CON save so that 5d8 is average damage of 11 or 22 for a couple of PCs typically, and then it has a 33% chance to recharge each round after use.

And it only has 32 HP.  I expect the most likely outcome with a party of 4-6 L2s is that 1-2 of PCs would drop to 0HP and start making death saves, and the wyrmling would go down in 2-3 rounds having only used its breath weapon once.

My group of 5 L3 PCs managed to kill a young green dragon with a CR of 8.  That could have gone either way - PCs were KO’ed 4 times, but they had 2 healers so were always able to get back up.

• Like 6

First of all, I'm glad Reaper threw the Dwarfs in because lots of people like them and they will raise the pledges.

They're not my cup of tea, I'm fed up with both Elves and Dwarfs in general but that's personal taste nothing more.

I wonder about those jerks who pledge and drop by the thousands, can't Reaper see who they are?

Isn't it possible to exclude them/kick them out?

Or execute them?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4