Jump to content
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Recommended Posts

I wonder if something happened, and they've decided to do something different with the ship, thus disrupting the original plan to talk about it today? 

 

I know there seemed like a lot of complaints that the ship was "too big" - which to me seemed a bit unfair to Reaper:  they've had people chanting at them for ships for months or longer now, and when Reaper at last stops teasing and actually says "let's do this for the fans, then" and designs such a thing, they get all the people who were chanting suddenly packing up their stuff and walking, with a parting "yeah, but what we wanted was any ship but that one!"  I wasn't a fan of the whole idea to begin with - it never seemed like a practical thing, with dry-erase maps being more appropriate for any use I would have for a ship, but it seemed to me like being big, showy, and impractical was the whole point of asking for a ship, and by gum, the ship Reaper finally teased was a hell of an achievement - I'm tempted now to change my mind and back that ship, because it was so cool, even if I don't have room for it anywhere in my little apartment!

 

Anyway, I suppose it's possible Reaper have been on the fence about whether to downsize the ship since the lukewarm reaction from some of the fans, and at last decided to give it a redesign at a smaller size - which might be better for the Kickstarter and for the customers in the long run, if I'm at all right.

Edited by YronimosW
haunted by grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Sorry, Santa Claus?

That's way too specific to be really useful to most gamers/collectors.

I do hope the artic set won't be a Santa's North Pole Base set or something like that.

 

Well, we are getting elves and krampus in the core set...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Some more shots of the second Chrono monster.

 

1850319450_ScreenShot2019-10-28at3_31_58PM.png.90b971826467af252c8fe33a10c70e67.png1152916969_ScreenShot2019-10-28at3_32_10PM.png.b925edfdac1271f71b6c6fd024fecd94.png

This guy would work well as a Goliath for D&D.  If there are a couple of those in Chronoscope, I might actually buy it, even though I had no intention of doing that initially.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People on Twitch questioning and complaining about the amount of assembly required.

If the hobby is going to advance then there is going to be more assembly required as time goes on due to the increasing complexity required by the improved levels of detail on the individual figures necessitating more advanced casting techniques.

People need to increase their assembly skills in the same fashion as they have increased their painting skills if they want to keep up with the ever advancing level of complexity.

GEM

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit that if Reaper doesn’t have all the logistics for the ship now, then cancel it for this kickstarter.

I don’t want a half broccoli ship with design problems and manufacturing issues.

I want Reaper to spend the necessary time to put out a superior product, not an inferior one.

 

This is ship is sounding rushed and not planned out. If they’re not able to clearly inform the manufacturer what is wanted, then I see bad things happening.

 

Do the smaller boat for now, have the big ship ready to go for the next kickstarter, and not tacked onto Bones V like an afterthought.

 

I fear that if they screw the ship up and as a result it doesn’t sell well, that they’ll blame in on a lack of demand and not on their own lack of preparation and not go forward with future similar projects.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit that I really like minimal assembly, but that is mostly on metal figures where pinning is more difficult. Or tiny tiny resin stuff? Those can be tough.

 

Pinning Bones can be somewhat annoying (I've had bits get stuck), but it isn't bad. And for most Bones stuff, it is stupidly easy. Tab A, Slot A. Tab B, Slot B. Bones IV stuff was so easy to put together! A few things needed different cut marks, and a few needed green stuffing, but a lot didn't.

 

So.... yeah, gimme assembly on Bones figures, if it makes the product better overall. The work needed to put them together is minimal.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I have to admit that if Reaper doesn’t have all the logistics for the ship now, then cancel it for this kickstarter.

I don’t want a half broccoli ship with design problems and manufacturing issues.

I want Reaper to spend the necessary time to put out a superior product, not an inferior one.

 

This is ship is sounding rushed and not planned out. If they’re not able to clearly inform the manufacturer what is wanted, then I see bad things happening.

 

Do the smaller boat for now, have the big ship ready to go for the next kickstarter, and not tacked onto Bones V like an afterthought.

 

I fear that if they screw the ship up and as a result it doesn’t sell well, that they’ll blame in on a lack of demand and not on their own lack of preparation and not go forward with future similar projects.

Yeah with 5 days left for people to be able to make a decision, this seems not a great position to be in. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I have to admit that if Reaper doesn’t have all the logistics for the ship now, then cancel it for this kickstarter.

I don’t want a half broccoli ship with design problems and manufacturing issues.

I want Reaper to spend the necessary time to put out a superior product, not an inferior one.

 

This is ship is sounding rushed and not planned out. If they’re not able to clearly inform the manufacturer what is wanted, then I see bad things happening.

 

Do the smaller boat for now, have the big ship ready to go for the next kickstarter, and not tacked onto Bones V like an afterthought.

 

I fear that if they screw the ship up and as a result it doesn’t sell well, that they’ll blame in on a lack of demand and not on their own lack of preparation and not go forward with future similar projects.

 

They could potentially also do a one-off "Just a ship" Kickstarter when they have it more ready-to-go, if it isn't quite ready now but could be in a month or two. But I do think that either cancelling it, or doing a Just a Ship KS, will hurt this one. They hyped it too much, and let fans continue to flame it.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am firmly in the 'assembly is half the fun' camp too, but I do get where people who just want minis to game with are coming from.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I don't like the way things are going according to the ship.

There was a lot of teasing first, then it was revealed to be in here, and now they're not ready?

The ship is basically what I really wanted.

It's killing the excitement for me to be honest

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dschumm said:

I'm hoping we get some sneak peaks of the arctic encounter. Got he Frost Giant raiders last time and the mammoth this time. Seems sweet.

What's this?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

I wonder if something happened, and they've decided to do something different with the ship, thus disrupting the original plan to talk about it today? 

 

I know there seemed like a lot of complaints that the ship was "too big" - which to me seemed a bit unfair to Reaper:  they've had people chanting at them for ships for months or longer now, and when Reaper at last stops teasing and actually says "let's do this for the fans, then" and designs such a thing, they get all the people who were chanting suddenly packing up their stuff and walking, with a parting "yeah, but what we wanted was any ship but that one!"  I wasn't a fan of the whole idea to begin with - it never seemed like a practical thing, with dry-erase maps being more appropriate for any use I would have for a ship, but it seemed to me like being big, showy, and impractical was the whole point of asking for a ship, and by gum, the ship Reaper finally teased was a hell of an achievement - I'm tempted now to change my mind and back that ship, because it was so cool, even if I don't have room for it anywhere in my little apartment!

 

Anyway, I suppose it's possible Reaper have been on the fence about whether to downsize the ship since the lukewarm reaction from some of the fans, and at last decided to give it a redesign at a smaller size - which might be better for the Kickstarter and for the customers in the long run, if I'm at all right.

I went ahead and measure 37 inches by 10 inches on my game table.  Its literally longer than the "play space" by 5 inches I think.  Not a big deal.
However, As I mentioned before.  The wizkids boat comes pre painted and is a more playable and manageable design.  Reaper has to beat this and keep the price down in order to get sales.  Otherwise people will shop at Walmart...I mean wizkids.

I myself wasn't expecting something that large BUT Im ok with it.  As long as every section of that ship has a playable area.  That means the captains quarters, below decks.  Even that little balcony on the back.  All has to be playable.  Otherwise they wont capture the gamer market very well.  For a piece that is going to likely cost a lot to make.  I dont think they could afford not to get the gamer sales.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

People on Twitch questioning and complaining about the amount of assembly required.

If the hobby is going to advance then there is going to be more assembly required as time goes on due to the increasing complexity required by the improved levels of detail on the individual figures necessitating more advanced casting techniques.

People need to increase their assembly skills in the same fashion as they have increased their painting skills if they want to keep up with the ever advancing level of complexity.

GEM

I started painting in Junior High, with Warhammer 40k minis. Folks need to get over having to assemble minis.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I am firmly in the 'assembly is half the fun' camp too, but I do get where people who just want minis to game with are coming from.

i didnt enjoy assembly on the medium and small minis. Didnt feel like it added anything either.

 

I mean, on a multi-part plastic mini... its great. You can assemble how you want. But on a small kobold that can only be assembled one way, whats the point?

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Corsair
      This looks like a nice project, ending tomorrow, I jumped in for a Bloodbowl team.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicsnstuffs/the-dwarves
    • By Sylverthorne
      So.. I fell over this. It's... well, go look for yourselves; 
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159974695/badbandana-6-pizza-dragons 
       
      ... pizza and dragons. Where have I seen this notion before..? I can't quite... >.>  
    • By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/waylaid-by-bandits-volume-2/description
       
      Story
      It was the Baron himself who nailed up the poster in Midlam the town square.
      WANTED:  LADY WILDWOOD and sundry associated gang members - For Murder, extortion, petty theft and highway robbery.  REWARD - 10 Gold Coins for Lady Wildwood and 1 Gold Coin per gang member.
      Speculation and rumour was rife!  Who were these new Bandits that were plaguing Midlam?  Who was the mysterious and dangerous Lady Wildwood? It seemed that the town had been under siege, first from Captain Grief's Gang and then the Hobgoblin Rainding Party, and now this gang of merciless women!
      Bounty hunters muttered in dark corners of Inns, looking for information and squads of Town Guard regularly marched out into the surrounding countryside in their pursuit.  
      But still the robberies and raids continued...
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume Two
      A gang of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, lead by the Notorious Lady Wildwood, for all of your fantasy miniature games.
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One
      You can also, should you wish, include our first bandit gang with your pledge.  Captain Grief's Gang is a series of of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, including the original stretch goal 'George the Grind'.  You could then mix and match your bandits or have them as deadly rivals!
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One  
       
      It's only an 11 day  project, so hury up and back. 
    • By Corsair
      This one ends tomorrow. It looks pretty neat
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-in-space-the-re-entry-zone?ref=ksr_email_user_new_friend_backing
    • By SamuraiJack
      <link here>
       
      Tomb Guardians over the past year has been asked to release our miniatures in a resin/plastic material because a lot of you do not like metal.  So for nearly a year we have discussed and researched the best way to produce a high quality, high detail miniature that is far above the current standard on the market.  We are happy to announce that we have found a method and decided to release all our 28mm monsters in a High Resolution Resin.  These miniatures will come with a 1 year guarantee, if you break one we will replace it for FREE!  Just mail it back to us.   Bobby Jackson, Jason Weibe, Gene Van Horne and Patrick Keith help create these amazing creatures.  We hope you enjoy our Monsters and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  
       

       

       

       
       
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 3 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...