ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

They could potentially also do a one-off "Just a ship" Kickstarter when they have it more ready-to-go, if it isn't quite ready now but could be in a month or two. But I do think that either cancelling it, or doing a Just a Ship KS, will hurt this one. They hyped it too much, and let fans continue to flame it.

I was think the same thing, that the ship is probably deserving of its own kickstarter.

Yep taking it out of this kickstarter is going to hurt and give them grief from backers, but’s it’s going to be a lot worse if they stick with it and put out crap.

And I don’t think Reaper gave themselves enough time between the two kickstarters to come to terms with the Bones Black material, and just what it’s strengths and weaknesses are when it comes to gaming miniatures.

I think Reaper needs more time for planning what will be built in what material, I think the sculptors need to be more familiar with the properties of Bones Black, and I think the manufacturer that Reaper is using for Bones Black needs to be made to understand just who they are making these miniatures for and what is expected from them.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

People on Twitch questioning and complaining about the amount of assembly required.

If the hobby is going to advance then there is going to be more assembly required as time goes on due to the increasing complexity required by the improved levels of detail on the individual figures necessitating more advanced casting techniques.

People need to increase their assembly skills in the same fashion as they have increased their painting skills if they want to keep up with the ever advancing level of complexity.

GEM

Agreed completely - folks, we can assemble our own models, it's not that hard!  We don't need to be paying underprivileged Chinese kids pennies per hour to do it for us :P

Besides, the assembly is part of the fun of this sort of hobby, at least for me!

And, Reaper's models have nothing at all on those old hard plastic Japanese historical military ship, armor, and airplane model kits I used to build when I was a kid - those things came with booklets of detailed instructions, and were loaded with bits you could barely see, had to be held with fine-tip tweezers, with elaborate instructions for using a needle and thread to reproduce realistic sailing ship rigging, and in a couple of cases even came with spools of wire and the parts for you to build your own motors to motorize the things with!  If you were lucky, those detailed instructions were in a language you could read and write - I spent one summer at age 12 or so, with a stack of multi-language instructions for other, similar model kits for use as "Rosetta Stones" for translation, trying to build a model kit whose instructions were entirely in Japanese, with incomprehensible illustrations and diagrams, and parts that were in no way intuitive to assemble together....

I don't mean to sidetrack onto a "Back in My Day, You Got Off My Lawn When I Yelled At You" story - those ultra-fiddly and complicated Japanese model kits were fun.  What I'm getting at is that these Reaper models are pretty easy to assemble, even the Stygian Barge.  If you can paint this stuff, you can assemble it even more easily!  :)

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I am firmly in the 'assembly is half the fun' camp too, but I do get where people who just want minis to game with are coming from.

I use the minis for gaming. I don't mind the assembly of the bones/bones black figures. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I started painting in Junior High, with Warhammer 40k minis. Folks need to get over having to assemble minis.

Frankly, I don't mind assembling, but the latest Warhammer stuff is a bit too much for me.

Bones assembly? I can take care of that!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

They could potentially also do a one-off "Just a ship" Kickstarter when they have it more ready-to-go, if it isn't quite ready now but could be in a month or two. But I do think that either cancelling it, or doing a Just a Ship KS, will hurt this one. They hyped it too much, and let fans continue to flame it.

If they were to do "Just a Ship"  it could have Expansion Style add-ons of different era crew, different "set dressing" details to change the era of the ship, etc.

Each change of crew / ship dressing, etc. to be a different expansion.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The problem with not coming through with the ship information today has several problem issues:

1. Reaper's habit of trying to be "cute" and tease about upcoming stuff.

2. One of the senior people should have come on the show to explain, not leave it up to Jon and Sadie.

3. Poor planning causes a lot of folks to hedge their bets.

4. This is gonna really feed the trolls, I am trying not to be one myself at this point.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I was think the same thing, that the ship is probably deserving of its own kickstarter.

Yep taking it out of this kickstarter is going to hurt and give them grief from backers, but’s it’s going to be a lot worse if they stick with it and put out crap.

If it wasn't for the Dark Depths expansion and me being loyal...I'm almost considering cancelling after all the hype about the ship and now this....almost...

I know I'll stay in for the rest, but I'm not really happy with this.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

The one guy is a Mega- Mutant, already existing in metal and a clear nod to Fallouts Super-Mutants

https://www.reapermini.com/search/mutant/latest/50180

Santa is also in metal as Chronoscope as well

https://www.reapermini.com/search/santa/latest/50208

TBH, that makes it look as if the Chronoscope expansion is going to be scattershot again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

16 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

I suppose it's possible Reaper have been on the fence about whether to downsize the ship since the lukewarm reaction from some of the fans, and at last decided to give it a redesign at a smaller size - which might be better for the Kickstarter and for the customers in the long run, if I'm at all right.

Gosh I hope not. I've got 27 square feet of playable table space. I'm planning on getting 2. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

How would that work though?  Would anyone bid for just a ship in a KS?  
Perhaps if they did a fleet?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

Agreed completely - folks, we can assemble our own models, it's not that hard!  We don't need to be paying underprivileged Chinese kids pennies per hour to do it for us :P

Besides, the assembly is part of the fun of this sort of hobby, at least for me!

And, Reaper's models have nothing at all on those old hard plastic Japanese historical military ship, armor, and airplane model kits I used to build when I was a kid - those things came with booklets of details instructions, and were loaded with bits you could barely see, had to be held with fine-tip tweezers, with elaborate instructions for using a needle and thread to reproduce realistic sailing ship rigging, and in a couple of cases even came with spools of wire and the parts for you to build your own motors to motorize the things with!  If you were lucky, those detailed instructions were in a language you could read and write - I spent one summer at age 12 or so, with a stack of multi-language instructions for other, similar model kits for use as "Rosetta Stones" for translation, trying to build a model kit whose instructions were entirely in Japanese, with incomprehensible illustrations and diagrams, and parts that were in no way intuitive to assemble together....

I don't mean to sidetrack onto a "Back in My Day, You Got Off My Lawn When I Yelled At You" story.  What I'm getting at is that these Reaper models are pretty easy to assemble, even the Stygian Barge.  If you can paint this stuff, you can assemble it even more easily!  :)

If anyone is complaining about assembly to you in person refer them to some of the non-automotive kits put out by Revell.  Even with English Instructions and diagrams drawn by American Draftsmen some of them were very "time consuming", such as the Space Station models.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

The wizkids boat comes pre painted and is a more playable and manageable design.  Reaper has to beat this and keep the price down in order to get sales.  Otherwise people will shop at Walmart...I mean wizkids.

The Nolzur's line is also releasing an unpainted version of the ship.  It is up for presales at some sites, for well under $200.  Reaper is definitely going to have to deliver on price and play-ability.

I kind of like the idea of having the HUGE Reaper ship, and the slightly smaller WizKids ship, as it would make for a historically/mechanically correct pirate encounter (smaller, more maneuverable pirate ship catching a larger merchant ship).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

The problem with not coming through with the ship information today has several problem issues:

1. Reaper's habit of trying to be "cute" and tease about upcoming stuff.

2. One of the senior people should have come on the show to explain, not leave it up to Jon and Sadie.

3. Poor planning causes a lot of folks to hedge their bets.

4. This is gonna really feed the trolls, I am trying not to be one myself at this point.

My thoughts exactly, and nr. 1 is one of the main reasons I don't want to watch Reaperlive and such.

I like to fool around a lot but when it comes to telling me what will be available to me I like to be taken seriously.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

TBH, that makes it look as if the Chronoscope expansion is going to be scattershot again. 

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2