ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

I pre-ordered the Unpainted Falling Star at my FLGS, I could care less if there is a Reaper ship now. I do like what Reaper offers in the KS & I'm sure I'd regret not getting it when it hits retail, so I'll probably still go in on it if does make this KS, or any other KS (a Ship only KS is a fantastic idea. Base the stretch goals around it.).

Assemble vs No Assembly required: I know my way around superglue. Just give me a mini that doesn't look like Frankenstein's monster if pre-assembled.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheUncannyAK said:

I'm good with static pawns AND dynamic poses, but I like the variety. For a bunch of townsfolk I'm fine with everyone standing around. They don't need to be doing jazz hands in the background.

And just for the record, I'm the same way:  I like the variety - both static and dynamic poses are great in my book.  I think some of the folks who talked about the "static" poses for those townsfolk did say they'd have been happier if there were a mix of both in that set, to be fair.

And, to me, it seems appropriate in the townsfolk and other such non-combat NPCs if some are in passive, non-dynamic poses:  you sort of expect that for background characters like those.  I think someone could be forgiven for complaining, if we were talking about a set of static, flat, boring player-character minis, as those are the characters who should really stand out from the crowd!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Crowley said:

In fact, one of them does need to be doing that!!

Mental Image of the Village Crazy Person exhorting the Sky Gods.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

I feel like this KS has been a roller coaster with a great start, slow developement at the end of the first week and all second week, then another high with Greek and... really, really slow since then. Weird management. 

I don't think it's that unusual for how the past three Reaper KS have gone.   A lot can happen in the last 48 hours.  

"I have a theory, ahem,  all Reaper Kickstarters are fast at one end, much much slower in the middle, and then fast again at the other end". :lol:  (Or are you all too young for a reference like that? ::P:

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, haldir said:

Assemble vs No Assembly required: I know my way around superglue. Just give me a mini that doesn't look like Frankenstein's monster if pre-assembled.

Agreed.  The djinn had some pretty bad gaps (as shown by others), same with the rock troll.  Rock troll also required a decent amount of work to be brought to a paintable state, thanks to those gaps and a chunk missing out of his side... 

If a mini does need assembling, I like how Reaper has done it with most of their bones minis in the past - nice thick, chunky keyed parts, so you can quickly and easily put it all together, and they're designed in a way that offers an almost seamless setup once the glue cures. 

• Like 8

not bones, but have to put this here.

Hey @Baphomet69  , for you:

72648609_1380456042122777_37320379584217

:) 

back to bones.  looks like we should unlock the next goal tonight. Hopefully, they show us greek 3 along with 1 more thing after that (with a price) so people can start to add funds for it. would help IMHO if ppl know what stuff will cost.

REgards,

sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

And I agree completely about the complaining and dogging on the minis that people don't like.  I think it's fair enough to talk up the minis for those who don't like them - they don't have to agree, but positive comments about unpopular minis - or just minis That One Guy doesn't like, are harmless.  Sadly, a few people take both sides of the equation pretty seriously - even constructive criticism can seem like an attack to some people, while saying something nice about something someone doesn't like can be fighting words for other people.  Whatever the case, constructive criticism and positive comments are OK in my book, while trash-talking the Kickstarter and models is just poor form!

So much of this hobby boils down to personal taste. I'm not gaming (RPG or Wargame) so I paint whatever I want, it's all down to curb appeal. I can understand somewhat though, for folks who have a dedicated army/campaign going. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Ditto!

Householders with all sorts of household implements!

Knives

Cleavers

Fireplace Poker

Carpet Beater

Pot Fork

Ladle

Plumbers Helper [Chronoscope]

Rolling Pin

So many possibilities!

GEM

I can't be the only one who would totally back a Chronoscope "Option" that consisted of several stuffy Edwardian rich folks and household staff, Old Dark House style, wielding candlesticks, lead pipes, dagger, revolver, rope, and pipewrench... plus a body.  Can I?

Edited by YronimosW
clarity
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I don't think it's that unusual for how the past three Reaper KS have gone.   A lot can happen in the last 48 hours.  

"I have a theory, ahem,  all Reaper Kickstarters are fast at one end, much much slower in the middle, and then fast again at the other end". :lol:

But that's not "in the middle", we are four days from the end :( 

Do you think it's really possible to unlock at the very least what we know is coming? 4 tiers from 3 different expansions, 2 dragons, at the very least another encounter AND the ship, AND everything they will throw inbetween, small add-ons. It's about 40K each unlock!

I hope you are right, though. 

Edited by NyarlaBcn
  • Like 4

Historically, has Reaper been more of a company for hobbyists that has only recently started to attract more gamers through the introduction of cheap, plastic minis?

It's interesting how varied folks needs are here.

Edited by criticalhit
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Do you think it's really possible to unlock at the very least what we know is coming? 4 tiers from 3 different expansions, 2 dragons, at the very least another encounter AND the ship, AND everything they will throw inbetween, small add-ons. It's about 40K each unlock!

yeah it is.  IIRC, the last 3 days of Bones 3 and 4, were around 650K-1 million...

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, YronimosW said:

I can't be the only one who would totally back a Chronoscope "Option" that consisted of several stuffy Edwardian rich folks and household staff, Old Dark House style, wielding candlesticks, lead pipes, dagger, revolver, rope, and pipewrench... plus a body.  Can I?

I haven't a CLUE as to who else would be a backer for this.

I just know that I'm GAME for such a well themed group.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

note bones, but have to put this here.

Hey @Baphomet69  , for you:

72648609_1380456042122777_37320379584217

:) 

back to bones.  looks like we should unlock the next goal tonight. Hopefully, they show us greek 3 along with 1 more thing after that (with a price) so people can start to add funds for it. would help IMHO if ppl know what stuff will cost.

REgards,

sanjay

Those gf9 offerings?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Do you think it's really possible to unlock at the very least what we know is coming? 4 tiers from 3 different expansions, 2 dragons, at the very least another encounter AND the ship, AND everything they will throw inbetween, small add-ons. 

We will see, once the reminder notices start hitting the inboxes of people who haven't been following along but have expressed an interest in being notified.

GEM

• Like 5

1 minute ago, criticalhit said:

Historically, has Reaper been more of a company for hobbyists that has only recently started to attract more gamers through the introduction of cheap, plastic minis?

reaper models are really an alternate for D&D models. yes, SOME people use them for other things, but lets not kid ourselves.  outside of outliers, they survive based on models that fit for D&D.

If a company like GF9, who makes official unpainted high quality plastic and resin models for D&D could make a ton more for cheaper, a company like reaper could be in trouble.  Luckily, reapers quality is better than wizkids, so i dont think nolzurs has really hurt them.  probably complimented them.

Sanjay

• Like 5