ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 minute ago, criticalhit said:

Historically, has Reaper been more of a company for hobbyists that has only recently started to attract more gamers through the introduction of cheap, plastic minis?

No. Dark Heaven minis were pretty cheap in the beginning & are still a pretty good bargain but have suffered from rising tin prices. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Those gf9 offerings?

yes, upcoming Baphomet and Yeenoghu.  Multipart plastic kits (like games workshop plastic) from what their ceo said on a video a few months back.

they are moving to GW style multipart plastic for detailed larger kits and 1part plastic for smaller stuff.  he said, forthe 1 parts, its not PVC (ie. softer plastic) but its not as hard as GW. its another mix, that is in between. 

Sanjay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StarFyre said:

Luckily, reapers quality is better than wizkids, so i dont think nolzurs has really hurt them.  probably complimented them.

No one at my game tables uses Reaper models, unless it's one of my own minis. Granted the store doesn't carry Reapers so that is probably the main factor. At a retail price of 4.99 for 2 minis, I'm sure that has to hurt somewhere thou.

1 minute ago, StarFyre said:

yes, upcoming Baphomet and Yeenoghu.  Multipart plastic kits (like games workshop plastic) from what their ceo said on a video a few months back.

they are moving to GW style multipart plastic for detailed larger kits and 1part plastic for smaller stuff.  he said, forthe 1 parts, its not PVC (ie. softer plastic) but its not as hard as GW. its another mix, that is in between. 

Sanjay

I've gotten a few gf9 figures, I just didn't see either of those in any future lineups for them. I guess the Baphomet figure caught my eye as I'm running a 5e game this Friday with his name mentioned it in.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, StarFyre said:
10 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

But that's not "in the middle", we are four days from the end :( 

Do you think it's really possible to unlock at the very least what we know is coming? 4 tiers from 3 different expansions, 2 dragons, at the very least another encounter AND the ship, AND everything they will throw inbetween, small add-ons. It's about 40K each unlock!

I hope you are right, though. 

yeah it is.  IIRC, the last 3 days of Bones 3 and 4, were around 650K-1 million...

I just went back and scanned quickly though the updates.  By rough count 10 + or - things were unlocked in the last 48 hours of Bones 4.    I don't know if that's enough to do everything, but it's a lot.

I'm sure one of our numbers people out there must have the exact figures.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

reaper models are really an alternate for D&D models. yes, SOME people use them for other things, but lets not kid ourselves.  outside of outliers, they survive based on models that fit for D&D.

If a company like GF9, who makes official unpainted high quality plastic and resin models for D&D could make a ton more for cheaper, a company like reaper could be in trouble.  Luckily, reapers quality is better than wizkids, so i dont think nolzurs has really hurt them.  probably complimented them.

Sanjay

About GF9 and "high quality", I don't know. 

Their sculpts are frecuently horrible - that Halaster... that Manshoon... omg - and on my personal experience buying from them, their minis have decent detail but the resin looks & feels cheap and problematic: I've found sticky figures more than once.

3 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I just went back and scanned quickly though the updates.  By rough count 10 + or - things were unlocked in the last 48 hours of Bones 4.    I don't know if that's enough to do everything, but it's a lot.

Sure one of our numbers people out there must have the exact figures.

You just gave me hope ^^ 

Edited by NyarlaBcn
  • Like 5

For being the official brand for D&D 5e, which is what I play, I'm not attracted to WizKids offerings. I don't like the modern aesthetic and excessive detail at all. Everything feels too flashy and too "busy." I like Reaper's simple, classic styles.

Edited by criticalhit
  • Like 13

8 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've gotten a few gf9 figures, I just didn't see either of those in any future lineups for them. I guess the Baphomet figure caught my eye as I'm running a 5e game this Friday with his name mentioned it in.

They were shown in images at beastsofwar back in may and june and some videos by the CEO (forgot his name - guy with the accent) hehehe Jean-Paul i think.

the pics are also on their facebook, as this was (from a game show in europe i think)

They are part of second wave for the Avernus adventure.  You probably saw all the first wave stuff, capped off with Lucille the Pit Fiend?   i *think* wave 2 is nov/december for direct order from GF9's website and dec-jan for external stores.

@NyarlaBcn  i have this halaster - https://dnd.gf9games.com/miniatures/tabid/86/entryid/50/Default.aspx  he's nice.  I have their larger monsters which are great IMHO.  Remhorazz, all 3 beholders, gold dragon, demogorgon, Zuggitmoy, Planetar, Acererak demilich and mummy form. (the mummy is gorgeous- such thin details, its insane), umber hulk, dark elves (only painted the drow wizard - he was great).

I do mainly resin models and i dont find much difference in the resin than the others (in terms of them feeling weak, etc).  Their smaller figures remind me of the smaller figures from FW.  like that old inquisitor with the servo skull and a thin sheet of paper scripture coming down.  About as thin as the mummy form parts are. crazy but looks so good.  

Also havent had an issue with the resin not being set. that sucks. maybe you got a bad model?   However, keep in mind, most of my models sit in boxes, etc until i get to them years later, so maybe if something was flawed, it did set over time in my basement and by time i opened it, it was fine.

sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

And just for the record, I'm the same way:  I like the variety - both static and dynamic poses are great in my book.  I think some of the folks who talked about the "static" poses for those townsfolk did say they'd have been happier if there were a mix of both in that set, to be fair.

This was largely me.  I have a friend who did Bones 4, so I've seen the townsfolk from that.  They are in poses doing stuff, or carrying tools (pitchforks, barrels, etc.)  These 20 are almost all just standing there.  I was expecting/wanting more like the Bones 4 townsfolk.  Even if 7 of the 20 models were doing something other than just standing there, I would have been happy, and would have pledged for it.  They aren't, so I probably won't.

14 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

I realize the KS pages says "4 Days" on it, but it's really 4 days, 23 hours, and 24 minutes.  Basically 5 days.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Do you think it's really possible to unlock at the very least what we know is coming? 4 tiers from 3 different expansions, 2 dragons, at the very least another encounter AND the ship, AND everything they will throw inbetween, small add-ons. It's about 40K each unlock!

I hope you are right, though. 

We're at the end of the middle. The beginning of the end happens soon...

When either the ship unlocks or the 48 hour reminder to non backers goes out.

• Like 10

I like bones for using in RPGs. Which is why i liked pre-assembled. I can just throw them in a box and pull out as needed. This was what I liked most about Bones 1-3. Then in Bones 4, I invested heavily and... a lot of my loot is still in the box in the basement. The assembly is not that bad, its just the volume of assembly. I have assemble all the big stuff, and all the things I was really interested in (like the apes and the snake people). And will get everything assembled at some point. 

I liked the static poses of the townsfolk. THey were mostly one piece... I think one was in a couple... and they fit better on a table grid if they are more static... and since they are not the focus of my game, they dont need to outshine the PC's anyway. 

I like the D&D / pathfinder unpainted minis, but for PC minis I tend to buy more expensive minis and only use Bones or D&D as NPc's so the D&D ones dont get purchased a lot as they arent really NPCs...

The Ship. I hope it stays the same (previewed) size. I will likely get it either way, but the size is a definite selling point for me 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, TheUncannyAK said:

I'm good with static pawns AND dynamic poses, but I like the variety. For a bunch of townsfolk I'm fine with everyone standing around. They don't need to be doing jazz hands in the background.

Pft. Now I need a villagers glee club :lol:

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

They were shown in images at beastsofwar back in may and june and some videos by the CEO (forgot his name - guy with the accent) hehehe Jean-Paul i think.

the pics are also on their facebook, as this was (from a game show in europe i think)

They are part of second wave for the Avernus adventure.  You probably saw all the first wave stuff, capped off with Lucille the Pit Fiend?   i *think* wave 2 is nov/december for direct order from GF9's website and dec-jan for external stores.

@NyarlaBcn  i have this halaster - https://dnd.gf9games.com/miniatures/tabid/86/entryid/50/Default.aspx  he's nice.  I have their larger monsters which are great IMHO.  Remhorazz, all 3 beholders, gold dragon, demogorgon, Zuggitmoy, Planetar, Acererak demilich and mummy form. (the mummy is gorgeous- such thin details, its insane), umber hulk, dark elves (only painted the drow wizard - he was great).

I do mainly resin models and i dont find much difference in the resin than the others (in terms of them feeling weak, etc).  Their smaller figures remind me of the smaller figures from FW.  like that old inquisitor with the servo skull and a thin sheet of paper scripture coming down.  About as thin as the mummy form parts are. crazy but looks so good.  

Also havent had an issue with the resin not being set. that sucks. maybe you got a bad model?   However, keep in mind, most of my models sit in boxes, etc until i get to them years later, so maybe if something was flawed, it did set over time in my basement and by time i opened it, it was fine.

sanjay

See, that Halaster was better than the one they are selling now, based on 5ed designs. That Skullport box was so good, and I will never regret enough not having bought it: particularly for the mindflyer, thats a mini I REALLY want.

Idk, maybe its not that much "quality" as "aesthetics", but I really dislike most of their sculpts. 

And some, yes, have arrived with bad resin, the Xanathar for example (the single version, not the one on Skullport box) 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

I can't be the only one who would totally back a Chronoscope "Option" that consisted of several stuffy Edwardian rich folks and household staff, Old Dark House style, wielding candlesticks, lead pipes, dagger, revolver, rope, and pipewrench... plus a body.  Can I?

I'm in for two.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

See, that Halaster was better than the one they are selling now, based on 5ed designs. That Skullport box was so good, and I will never regret enough not having bought it: particularly for the mindflyer, thats a mini I REALLY want.

Idk, maybe its not that much "quality" as "aesthetics", but I really dislike most of their sculpts. 

And some, yes, have arrived with bad resin, the Xanathar for example (the single version, not the one on Skullport box) 

ok that really sucks.  the solo xanathar i did open. mine was fine. 

so that means their quality control SUCKS :( :( :(  cause they are doing limied runs...1500-2500 for their models, its not like GW selling millions of models worldwide.  Sad that they cant manage suck small runs like that.  Means when my lucille shows up, will open and inspect the sprue ASAP.  

Oh, i forgot to mention i have and painted their lolth (the spider form - not the standing female form yet).  that was crazy cause so much stuff is so fine/thin.  Also started initial work on the hill, and storm giant.

I agree - some of their poses are strange . i got the recent beholder cause i like beholders, but not happy with how the eye stalks all face to one side.  its like he's dodging something sideways and the wind is carrying him.   Demogorgon was great....detail and scale BUT  i hate tentacles wrapped around terrain, so im resculpting the tentacles to follow my fav demogorgon art from the Paizo adventure Savage Tide.  the planetar in a diving battle pose is fine for an angel but i need to decide how to do the base.  

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, criticalhit said:

Historically, has Reaper been more of a company for hobbyists that has only recently started to attract more gamers through the introduction of cheap, plastic minis?

It's interesting how varied folks needs are here.

In my experience (from working in the game store in the 2000s and getting all that sweet retailer-only information) Reaper was the gamer's go-to of choice for PCs. There was no other option before the prepaints came out, it was Reaper or bartertown trades or old minis lost forgotten in a coffee can from a decade prior or action figures. Even after the prepaints became a Thing, GMs were more likely to use prepaints for Pile O' D00ds and Reaper Minis for named characters. Plastic in general was for your mooks and uninteresting monsters because pewter was cheap and affordable and had so much better detail. Plastics weren't for PCs, your PC was worth more than that. Even the dragons, I remember we had the Gargantuan Blue and Black dragons, the actual D&D prepaints that sell for a kidney and half a soul on ebay now, they sat on the shelf at the store for a year and a half at $30 each. We put them on SALE to move them because plastics had so little respect.

That all changed when the sudden spike in tin prices drove pewter through the roof in, what, 2008? I was still working in the store, I remember taking the price gun to all these Reaper minis and doubling the prices because that's what our distributor did to us. Suddenly Reaper minis didn't sell. NO minis sold. That's when the era of plastics began. That's WHY plastics began. Plastics took over the old price point where pewter HAD been while Reaper floundered and wondered and saw Bones as their way out.

The influx of gamers into Reaper's customer base isn't new. It's the gamers coming back.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6