ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

35 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

My FLGS has dropped Reaper minis entirely and I have no idea why. They replaced that shelf space with Wizkids, but with Wizkids humanoids only, medium or else. An entire wall 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide of PCs. Not a single monster in the store.

I don't shop there for minis anymore. I'm a GM, I don't need PCs. I need monsters.

That's where Reaper has always shined for me. They have what I Need when I Need it. That's part of what disappointed me with the daimyo expansion, I Need all sorts of Asian monsters and some traditional 5-element Chinese elementals. I Do Not Need dinos in samurai armor. Ever.

FLGS' stocking decisions are only rarely actually based on anything resembling a coherent concept or plan, to be honest. The stores that follow a design decision more thought out than "Carry Games Workshop and Magic the Gathering" are the exception, not the rule.

And in some cases, there is method - of some sort - to the madness, but it's not method that gets shared with the hoi polloi. Maybe the only distributor that the FLGS can reliably get Reaper from has some problem that prevents the owner from wanting to do business with them. Maybe they've found that character minis sell like hotcakes at their store because of the Adventurer's League groups they run three nights a week, but monster don't sell for crap because there's another store nearby that sells everything at 20% off - so all the big ticket items get bought there, and all the minis purchases at this store are low-drag impulse buys - or topping the purchase up to ten bucks so the buyer can use a credit card or something. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

My apologies.

No worries.. i couldnt keep up with this thread today and there have been several postings of thm

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

Bones IV had more parts, but, the poster argued, suffered from being less focused and complete where the factions were concerned, and I'd suggest it also suffered from those dinos and the the small terrain, which were a bit weak compared to the Bones II equivalents.

I think that analysis was here in this thread, but it would be a good idea to maybe make a concise version of that point in the KS comments.

• Like 3

I've no doubt that the internet has thrown quite a few curveballs at FLGSs, too - it really puts a whole new dimension on things if most GMs are ordering their monsters bulk online, and most players are browsing for character models in person at the store, resulting in a big difference in what sells in the shop.

• Like 6

Ah, here it was:

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So here's a side by side comparison of the B2 Chronoscope Expansion next to the B4 Chronoscope Expansion:

ChronoscopeB2vsB4_90percent.thumb.jpg.0fc1bf233ada4e47618109df00f039ca.jpg
B2 has 30 pieces total, B4 has 48
B2 has 9 unique and sizable scenery pieces (12 total), while B4 has 4 unique tiny scenery pieces (14 total)
Both of them have one vehicle, if you count the Bulldog as a vehicle
In B2, every figure is a variant sculpt of one of four themed "units" - Bathalians, Kulathi, Greys or IMEF. In B4, there are 8 themed "units" - Sci-Fi Dinos, Overlords, Andromedans, Sliggs, Androids, toolbots, XAIRobots and Cyborgs. There are 9 figures that are a unique theme. 

IMO, all of the themed units in B2 were usable as skirmish units.   In B4, I feel only one of them is - the XAIRobots. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:
53 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I Do Not Need dinos in samurai armor. Ever.

Yeah, that little obsession they have for the dinos needs to go extinct.  They ruined the Daimyo expansion for me from the get-go.

I need it! ::P: I'm sorry your fun was RUINED by those 6 minis... 

Number Based on 1900-2000 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $2,335,901
Current Total Backers: 16,121
Next Goal At $2,345,000
To go to Next Goal $9,099
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 6.1
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 10.6

Gain in last Hour: $1,486
New Backers This Hour: 5
Total Gain Today: $17,331
Total Gain 24 Hours: $20,680
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $825
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $862
Current Average Pledge: $144.90
Average Hourly Backers Today: 3.1
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 3.5
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $2,334,415
Previous Hour Total Backers: 16,116
Backers to beat Bones 1 1,561
Days to hit Bones 1 based on 24 hour average 18.6
Backers to beat Bones 2 -1158
Backers to beat Bones 3 -2656
Backers to beat Bones 4 77
Days to hit Bones 4 based on 24 hour average 0.9
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The sheer, bewildering variety of Reaper Bones figures might also play into the reluctance of FLGSs to stock them:  there's too many to stock them all, and it might be hard for shopkeepers to decide what will sell in their market, and what will gather dust on the shelves.

For both Tabletop GMs and wargamers, I can't help suspecting that Reaper might get more mileage from selling their Bones minis in larger themed packages:  a "starter set" of common low-level dungeon monsters (a few orcs, goblins, kobolds, giant rats, undead, an ogre, and a small dragon, for example), an orc dungeon, a goblin dungeon, an undead horde with necromancer, whatever:  the sort of thing where a shopkeeper can stock a few of these packages, and a GM can pick up a ready-made dungeon encounter, or a wargamer can pick up a quick-and-dirty wargame faction, with little fuss for anyone involved....

That might, for all I know, be the logic behind the Encounters in this Kickstarter....

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, izzylobo said:

FLGS' stocking decisions are only rarely actually based on anything resembling a coherent concept or plan, to be honest. The stores that follow a design decision more thought out than "Carry Games Workshop and Magic the Gathering" are the exception, not the rule.

And in some cases, there is method - of some sort - to the madness, but it's not method that gets shared with the hoi polloi. Maybe the only distributor that the FLGS can reliably get Reaper from has some problem that prevents the owner from wanting to do business with them. Maybe they've found that character minis sell like hotcakes at their store because of the Adventurer's League groups they run three nights a week, but monster don't sell for crap because there's another store nearby that sells everything at 20% off - so all the big ticket items get bought there, and all the minis purchases at this store are low-drag impulse buys - or topping the purchase up to ten bucks so the buyer can use a credit card or something. 

Maybe I worked for a FLGS that had better planning than that :/ Or perhaps less experimental with our floor space. We relied on local RPGers for the bulk of our sales and GMs buy the most. A PC needs a PC. A GM needs the books, the minis, the monsters. My current FLGS seems to rely on Star Wars players: X-Wing, Legion, and the RPG. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

That might, for all I know, be the logic behind the Encounters in this Kickstarter....

I was hoping the Encounters would stay as boxed sets at retail.  They have that "playset" appeal

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I'm sorry your fun was RUINED by those 6 minis... 

Six mini's that could have helped make the $50 worth it.  Instead they are useless to me.

I'm glad you like them.  They just added into the clutter of stuff that made the Daimyo a disappointment, despite me wanting a few large pieces of it.

• Like 6

Every package is likely to have stuff that some people want, and some people don't want. We have to decide if we want to also end up with things we don't care about for the sake of ones we do want. What is worth it for some may not be worth it for others.

• Like 12

RE: Star Wars, I've noted before that the Novacorp guys, given a white-and-black paint job, would work really well as not-Storm Troopers.  Star Wars gamers could really use some inexpensive bulk squads of these uniformed baddies.

The could use them, but probably won't, at least using the current packaging model:  I think most would look right past the "generic" alternative, for the licensed product.

I have a feeling that Reaper might get some traction in that market by changing the packaging model just a bit:  start with a fistful of Novacorp guys, add a couple suitably menacing not-Droids, add in some Sci-Fi scenery like Sentry Guns, communication arrays, a light patrol vehicle of some sort (like a not-Landspeeder), ammo boxes, and such, and sell them as a package, and I bet someone, somewhere is going to take notice, and at least a few of the folks who do will be Star Wars GMs on a budget.  And THAT, I bet, would sell a Chronoscope encounter or expansion, too - I might lose that bet, but I have a good feeling about it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1