Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

M.E.O.W. disputes this slanderous statement!

Ehhhh, otters have many benefits, one of them being so adorable when eating and sleeping!  ...And otters are just more epic than cats.  Do note, that if there were a canine crew, I'd still be saying canines over felines, although it would be Canines first, Otters second, catfolk... If I've the cash ::P:

32 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I don't know where they will end up but if it makes you feel any better I'm scheduled to be sculpting Circe and the fawn/satyr set! :)

Insert massive amount of (redacted) I mean oh so joyous statements here!  I love the playfulness and life in your sculpts!

(edit: It was written that way to try and imply heavy amounts of oh so happy swearing, but y'know, can't swear on here. >.>;;;; )

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

Every time they've revealed an encounter, I've been unable to resist it.  In the past couple Kickstarters, it was the Expansions I had a hard time saying 'no' to.  The tight themes seem to get me every time....

Edited by YronimosW
at war with spelling
  • Like 7

Before I say anything else, let me say that I love the Greek expansion and I was already in for it before part 3 was spoiled.

That aside, I do wish the expansions would concentrate just a little more on a few creatures.  For people planning to run encounters in D&D or field a warband, it's more helpful to have something like 3-5 satyrs/fauns, 3-5 harpies, 3-5 centaurs, 3-5 minotaurs etc., and then a few unique creatures like a pegasus or giant.  Speaking for myself, having one each of 15 different types of minis is not ideal.

Still, it's well worth the money and I love all the sculpts/concepts on their own merits.  It's also entirely possible Reaper's market research has told them people want a wide variety.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right now I'm in for:

Kid Heroes

Armory x2

Dark Depths

Dragonfolk

Catapult

Ballista

Trebuchet

The Incredible Boat

Since I buy mostly for use in tabletop games and I've got a ton of basic PCs and monsters from the last couple KS, I'm a bit more discerning this time. The only things in the core set I want is the armory and the kid heroes. I'm a little "meh" on the spell fx. I like the walls and the platform, but I could've done fine with just one hand and more ground based effects, like a fireball. I'm actually pretty happy though because instead of the core set, I can pick up the amazing ship. I'm eagerly awaiting the Brinewinds reveal, I might go in on that, depending on what's revealed. I also saw some carts teased. I'd be in on those as well.

Edited by DMAgamus
  • Like 5
19 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

Before I say anything else, let me say that I love the Greek expansion and I was already in for it before part 3 was spoiled.

That aside, I do wish the expansions would concentrate just a little more on a few creatures.  For people planning to run encounters in D&D or field a warband, it's more helpful to have something like 3-5 satyrs/fauns, 3-5 harpies, 3-5 centaurs, 3-5 minotaurs etc., and then a few unique creatures like a pegasus or giant.  Speaking for myself, having one each of 15 different types of minis is not ideal.

Still, it's well worth the money and I love all the sculpts/concepts on their own merits.  It's also entirely possible Reaper's market research has told them people want a wide variety.

Actually (and forgive me if you were part of the conversation - I don't remember who all responded to it now!), that's so very close to what we were saying several pages ago about Chronoscope, it's worth mentioning in the same context now:  someone theorized even earlier in the discussion that part of the reason KS4 Chronoscope might have seemed kind of "meh" compared to the other expansions in that Kickstarter was that Chronoscope, too, might have benefited from the Reapers choosing minis for the expansion with warband-building in mind:  4 or 5 Andromedans, 4 or 5 Overlords, 4 or 5 heroic starship crew, 4 or 5 similar robots, etc.... that KS4 Chronoscope set instead was all over the dial, and really didn't feel very cohesive, compared to the stronger, warband-faction-building-friendly themes in the Lost World or Darkreach sets, or the very cohesive theme in the Dreadmere set....

I wasn't thinking of the fantasy expansions when talking about that, but now that you mention it, it's always a nice touch when the fantasy expansions include at least one group of 3-5 "warband-friendly" minis.  (The Encounters with the spiders, undead, and dwarf heroes seem to have that nailed down really well!)

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 6

I can appreciate the Encounters but we have not yet unlocked one I Need.

To be fair, my partner has informed me we're getting the Gallowgard encounter. I'm getting it because I've been Told to ::P: But the ones I'm looking most forward to, the ghoul-feast and the arctic one, have only been teased and are not yet unlocked.

Given we're getting into the last 4 days we'd BETTER get the unlocks going. If we don't hit the next one tomorrow...

Edited by NebulousMissy
merrrrrrrge
  • Like 6
15 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Based on a reply by Ron in the KS comments, the Encounter at Mandupar Pass is going to be Asian themed.  I'm still assuming this is the Snow Leopard one.  So I'm thinking a Tibetan shrine sort of thing, high up in the mountains.

That sounds really intriguing - I hope you're right!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Based on a reply by Ron in the KS comments, the Encounter at Mandupar Pass is going to be Asian themed.  I'm still assuming this is the Snow Leopard one.  So I'm thinking a Tibetan shrine sort of thing, high up in the mountains.

I'd be all for that - I think they mentioned this one being the biggest one? There are lots of fun things you can do with a shrine.

15 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Sounds like I might finally get my rakshasa :devil:

Looked this up - I VERY much hope you are right, because that would be awesome.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

There are a couple of different potential reasons.  One, the purpose of the project is to get molds made.  They want people to need more at retail.  Two, they have often said that they're trying to expand the offerings in Bones because it lacked the scope of the metal line.  The latter reason seems to be less of a thing now than it was for Bones 1&2, but it might be that they figure you can do minor modifications to the same model to get variant units.  Kinda like how they keep telling us that you can use one horse and a torso swap to get more mounted units.  (My pet peeve, BTW.)

For everyone wanting squads of similar units, the elf ranger seems to be a bit of a test of that concept.  When it comes to monsters, some seem to get good variety like kobolds, goblins, skeletons, etc.  Those are the staple bad guys so it makes sense.  Harpies?  I don't know if three variants make sense financially.  Between older Bones models and new there's starting to be some variety for specific monsters.

Personally I'd rather see stirges than more variants of stuff, but I'm willing to differentiate units with paint.

• Like 7

At 9:00 PM Reaper Time the total pledges were at $2,343,577 (and had risen $7,676 in the previous hour).

At 10:00 PM Reaper Time the total pledges were at $2,349,778 (and had risen $6,201 in the previous hour).

At Midnight Reaper Time the total pledges are at $2,357,184 (and have risen $7,406 in the previous TWO hours).

Credit to Crowley for the earlier numbers.

According to Kicktraq, 10/29 has seen $7,526 in funding added.  Since we know KS seems to run on the US Eastern time zone, that means all that was earned in the hour from 11:00 pm Reaper Time to Midnight.  So the 10 - 11 hour must have lost money.

Still, $21,283 in four hours sure ain't bad.  That makes 10/28 the largest day of funding since Oct 18th (which was the day they officially announced the Loot Golem and the Gem Dragon in a KS Update).

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1