ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 minute ago, OneBoot said:

Same! :wub: Just so much awesome goodness in one expansion, lots of useful things for gaming and fun stuff to paint! Totally a win for me. ^_^

You are too kind, good sir. :upside:

(if you actually are serious, feel free to contact me ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Don't you have a bathtub? Or maybe a little inflatable pool?

Ideas for the ship:

• HMS Seduction - Succubi Crew
  • Riverwolf - Otter Pirate Crew
  • Argent's Wrath - Undead Crew
  • Walletbreaker - Human Crew
  • Looterz - Goblin Crew
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

This is something I put together years ago, using data from "The Miniatures Page".  It can be very useful when looking for terrain/scenery, especially for 19th and 20th century games.

Reaper's scale, for this and previous Kickstarters seems to be in the 1/54 - 30mm scale, IMO.

Pocket Miniature Scale Cheat Sheet

1/6000 = .27mm         1/600 = 2.7 mm             1/87 = 18.5mm (HO)             54mm = 1/30

1/4800 = .34mm         1/432 = 3.7mm              20mm = 1/80.5                      80mm = 1/20

1/4600 = .35mm         1/300 = 5.4mm              1/76 = 21.2mm (OO)            90mm = 1/18

1/3900 = .41mm         1/285 = 5.6mm              1/72 = 22.4mm                      1/16 = 100.6mm 

1/3000 = .54mm         6mm = 1/268                 25mm = 1/64 (S)                    120mm = 1/13

1/2400 = .67mm         1/220 = 7mm (Z)           28mm = 1/58                         1/9 = 178.9mm

1/1250 = 1.29mm       1/200 = 8mm                30mm = 1/54                               Notes

1/1200 = 1.34mm       10mm = 1/161              1/43.5 = 37mm (O)       Letters in  parenthesis

1/900 = 1.8mm           1/160 = 10.06mm (N)   1/48 = 33.5mm              are  model railroad

2mm = 1/805              1/144 = 11.2mm            40mm = 1/40                 scales. 54mm or 1/30

1/700 = 2.3mm           15mm= 1/107                1/35 = 46mm                 is the common ‘plastic

1/650 = 2.5mm           1/100 = 16.1mm            1/32 = 50.3mm (I)         army man’ scale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

46 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Maybe it's the difference in tournament style army points play and friendly scenario-based games.  I never did the Games Workshop scene so don't have that mind set. 

yeah GW tournaments are a lot more serious in my experience. 

Sanjay

• Like 3

28 days later, ...and the zombies are unlocked.

Here is your daily dose of charts, numbers and spreadsheets.

Yesterday saw us stronger than the same day in Bones 4 for the first time in 9 days despite the pledge trolling that wiped about 5K(?) off the board. So far today we are already over 20K and 40 new backers. Things are looking strong. Between the pirate ship, the AMAZING final part of Greek Odyssey, and the upcoming Critical Role ad on Talks Machina, we should really start to move.

I updated my spreadsheet with all the sets and add ons. With the latest additions to the GO expansion (and my best guess at retail cost/size) it is now the second best value of everything after the core set. Daimyo looking like it will be the weakest of the expansions once Dark Depths 3 is revealed, though we have yet to see Brinewind 2 & 3 as well. (Is it too late to replace the dinos with D&D races?)

Anyways, get ready to strap in and enjoy the ride.

Bones 5 day 28 - pledged.png

Bones 5 day 28 - gap.png

Bones 5 day 28 - backers.png

Bones 5 value - day 28.png

Edited by AuralEntropy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

3 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

This is something I put together years ago, using data from "The Miniatures Page".  It can be very useful when looking for terrain/scenery, especially for 19th and 20th century games.

Reaper's scale, for this and previous Kickstarters seems to be in the 1/54 - 30mm scale, IMO.

Pocket Miniature Scale Cheat Sheet

1/6000 = .27mm         1/600 = 2.7 mm             1/87 = 18.5mm (HO)             54mm = 1/30

1/4800 = .34mm         1/432 = 3.7mm              20mm = 1/80.5                      80mm = 1/20

1/4600 = .35mm         1/300 = 5.4mm              1/76 = 21.2mm (OO)            90mm = 1/18

1/3900 = .41mm         1/285 = 5.6mm              1/72 = 22.4mm                      1/16 = 100.6mm 

1/3000 = .54mm         6mm = 1/268                 25mm = 1/64 (S)                    120mm = 1/13

1/2400 = .67mm         1/220 = 7mm (Z)           28mm = 1/58                         1/9 = 178.9mm

1/1250 = 1.29mm       1/200 = 8mm                30mm = 1/54                               Notes

1/1200 = 1.34mm       10mm = 1/161              1/43.5 = 37mm (O)       Letters in  parenthesis

1/900 = 1.8mm           1/160 = 10.06mm (N)   1/48 = 33.5mm              are  model railroad

2mm = 1/805              1/144 = 11.2mm            40mm = 1/40                 scales. 54mm or 1/30

1/700 = 2.3mm           15mm= 1/107                1/35 = 46mm                 is the common ‘plastic

1/650 = 2.5mm           1/100 = 16.1mm            1/32 = 50.3mm (I)         army man’ scale.

Interesting. It looks like they're using 5'3" as the standard height, which is quite short, even assuming measurement to the eyes (which are generally 4" below the crown of the head or so).

Given that, those are not the numbers I would use.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

As has been alluded to in other posts, I think this is due to a large percentage of wargamers coming from a model building background. The ones with a model railroading background especially seem to enjoy scratch builds, conversions, and kit bashing.

I am of the opinion that those of us who prefer to assemble our minis, rather than have them preassembled, are from those types of hobbies.

This is true in my case, at least - I was never into wargaming, but I was into building and then scratch-building 1/144 and 1/72 scale models long before I got into tabletop role-playing, I was into tabletop role-playing and writing my own short stories and drawing and such long before I was into computer RPGs, I was into writing BASIC programs as a hobby before I ever owned my first commercial computer RPG, and I was into all of the above before I got heavily into painting and collecting fantasy gaming minis....  I took to Reaper Bones' extremely conversion-friendly plastic minis and open-ended Chonoscope Bones immediately, and no doubt that background colours a lot of my perspective on things! 

I should probably just put a permanent disclaimer in my signature line to the effect of my being primarily a tabletop RPG player who loves to home-brew, scratch-build, and convert things, I don't really think of my skillset as exceptional and assume most people can do them better than me, and your mileage may vary from my experiences - it tends to come across as if I'm trying to mercilessly dictate an alien "universal" truth to people that "truth" wouldn't apply to and whose experience and enjoyment varies, when I forget to mention that sort of thing.  The experience and background and skillsets of other people will vary, and I do appreciate that, even if I don't point that appreciation out explicitly every time!  :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Interesting. It looks like they're using 5'3" as the standard height, which is quite short, even assuming measurement to the eyes (which are generally 4" below the crown of the head or so).

Given that, those are not the numbers I would use.

Yeah for some reason I don't have data for 32mm on there. That should be closer to the ideal. wonder why I missed that? 5'3" eye height is 1610 mm. Top of head would be 5'8", 1760mm total height.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

Maybe I'm the only one but i'm pretty happy with the Greek expansion... full of monster, and that's what i'm looking at ATM :wub:

Count me in!

1 hour ago, Skallabjorn said:

For RPGs, minis are a conveinience, an AID to tactical movement, and a preventative for retroactive repositioning. WYSIWYG, IMO, is NOT really critical,

For tabletop wargaming, WYSIWYG is key, and failure to follow at least close to that can have major tactical implications.

This.

50 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Which is why I plan on buying extras of these, in addition to the ones in the core - to show Reaper that I heartily support the concept. 

Agreed - but I've found that tabletop gamers seem to be more willing to do the conversions for WYSIWYG than RPGers are, and yet it's RPGers who are pickier about the exact representation. 

51 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

That's a great argument for buying myself some extra wights, thank you! 

Well, I don't have that much formal data, we used to play with a box full of odds and ends (IIRC half of a batmovil was a tank, the other half an arty piece) but when you get a box full of lookalike dudes kitbashing & converting seems the only way to go...and half of the fun

Edited by OddMoominOut
Slight correction
  • Like 5

And, heroic scale is its own, loose, vague thing anyway - in general, the scenery and vehicles at "28mm scale" seem to be in a more traditional and realistic modeling scale, while the character figures tend to be weirdly exaggerated out of that scale altogether, with the point where Heroic Scale and Wargaming Model Scale meet being at minute-of-ballpark in terms of accuracy....

Edited by YronimosW
typo
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Yeah for some reason I don't have data for 32mm on there. That should be closer to the ideal. wonder why I missed that?

Using the approximately 1620mm = person that they seem to be using, it would work out to quite close to 1:51. I wouldn't use 1620mm, but 1720mm = person, though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Using the approximately 1620mm = person that they seem to be using, it would work out to quite close to 1:51. I wouldn't use 1620mm, but 1720mm = person, though.

For eye level and Middle ages I think 1620 would be closer.  The 1720 would be top of the head or modern.  5'7 for top of head 5'11" for eye level 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

1720mm to top of head (5'7.7") is about 1610 (5'3.4" ) eye height. So to me that is pretty much dead on. Depends on what you consider the average human height to be in your period/genre.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

For eye level and Middle ages I think 1620 would be closer.  The 1720 would be top of the head or modern.  5'7 for top of head 5'11" for eye level 

From the studies I've seen, except for the early Industrial Revolution, human heights have stayed fairly constant. (Early Industrial Revolution heights, because of the very poor nutrition for the average person in that era, were significantly shorter.)

ETA: Also, historically (for the miniatures gaming industry), height was assumed to be about 6' to the top of the head.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 2

That is one of the key issues for scale modeling purists. One manufacturer uses "Eye height" another uses "Top of Head". The eye height figures in any scale wind up being physically taller than the similar top of head figures in the same nominal scale. And, as said before, "Heroic" scale figures just get silly sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1