Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

2 minutes ago, Dan Goodchild said:

There may be some confusion because some figures from Bones 4 were made in Bones Black about which nobody knew at the time. So one might assume (incorrectly, for the reasons you mention) that they were Bones and then Bones Black, even though they were BB from the beginning.

There is likely also confusion because of the color.    Many of the original white Bones have been done in a darker grey when they were re-ordered. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Among the many reasons I won't play a GW game or at a GW store.

For a tournament in a game I will play, I would expect painted models, and generally pretty close to what they should be. But for any other purpose, meh, whatever, so long as I think you're making an effort.

I think you and I have very similar opinions of GW. I haven't spent a dime on their stuff in nearly 20 years and I never will again. Nor do I play any of their games war games. About the only thing I will touch is some of their very old board games like Judge Dredd and Chaos Marauders. Even then, I refused to buy the Fantasy Flight re-release of Chaos Marauders simply because GW would still see some of that money through licencing fees.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, AuralEntropy said:

I also did an overlay of a picture of someone holding a WizKid ship versus a Reaper estimate, but it is a WoTC copyrighted picture. Not sure if I can post it here.

whats the difference when ppl post images from films, etc?

pretty sure you can post an image.

Sanjay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think you and I have very similar opinions of GW. I haven't spent a dime on their stuff in nearly 20 years and I never will again. Nor do I play any of their games war games. About the only thing I will touch is some of their very old board games like Judge Dredd and Chaos Marauders. Even then, I refused to buy the Fantasy Flight re-release of Chaos Marauders simply because GW would still see some of that money through licencing fees.

My old CA gaming group still plays 40k 2e.   There is enough stuff on the secondary market that they all buy used now. 

35 more backers to go to match Bones 4. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, StarFyre said:

Sanjay

Fair use of a copyrighted work is a case-by-case decision based on four complex balancing factors (really). I suspect use for comparison would probably count as fair, but that will depend on the specifics of the use, and I'm not a lawyer anyway, so that should not be construed as legal advice.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Sanjay

I think the main difference is how grumpy the IP owner will get. :)

A meme made from a film pic probably isn't going to get the filmmaker's hackles up.

A pic showing another game/minis company's product against Reaper's competing product might result in an email or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with most of what you people say about GW, it is an annoying policy, and even more they ever increasing prices. 

But when it's about models, they can be really, really good. Not only about detail but also easy to build/clean, and I never had any trouble with them afterwards. If I buy a GW Dragon, I know (If I build it correctly) It will stand exactly as its supposed to do. 

With Reaper, on the other hand... I have my Dance of Death from the past KS leaning on the side of my shelves because it cant support its own weight and the material bends to one side. I know other more experienced people already built that model with metal rods or other stuff drilled inside the dragon's body, but I didn't imagined it could happen. 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Fair use of a copyrighted work is a case-by-case decision based on four complex balancing factors (really). I suspect use for comparison would probably count as fair, but that will depend on the specifics of the use, and I'm not a lawyer anyway, so that should not be construed as legal advice.

I think the main difference is how grumpy the IP owner will get. :)

A meme made from a film pic probably isn't going to get the filmmaker's hackles up.

A pic showing another game/minis company's product against Reaper's competing product might result in an email or two.

Pretty sure this use case falls firmly in the "commentary and criticism" clause.  Also not a lawyer....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Still hoping for an A-Ford, some Explorers from the 20th century, the Artic expansion sounds amazing.

I wonder...in the end during the PM I will probably buy more than I intended to anyway.

You're making the same mistake a few people in the KS comments made yesterday. They never said "Arctic," they only said "snow."

To quote Ron's response to those Arctic assumptions...

"Arctic? Maybe Asian..."

2 hours ago, Skallabjorn said:

I am of the opinion that those of us who prefer to assemble our minis, rather than have them preassembled, are from [model building] types of hobbies.

I'm not. I come purely from a D&D perspective, and am a 13-year user of D&D's pre painted mini's.

I dipped my toe into mini painting with a great deal on one of the D&D board games that comes w/ unpainted mini's from the same molds as the old DDM line ($37 for a game w/ ~50 mini's), & due to wanting terrain like barrels & crates (miniature market has their cheap Tiny Terrain line of resin barrels, etc.)

After getting a 3-pack of Bones skeletons where one of them had its shield glued on incorrectly... Yeah, I'd rather assemble the mini's myself. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cygnwulf said:

Pretty sure this use case falls firmly in the "commentary and criticism" clause.  Also not a lawyer....

I wholeheartedly agree. But that part doesn't come up until it gets to court. I'm not a lawyer either but I do follow developments in IP law because I find it fascinating (and often enraging). The principle in play here is that "fair use is a defense" meaning it doesn't protect you from a lawsuit, it helps you win it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

is this the painted version?

if its the same size, this image is on amazon and linked many places that i can find.  use that if you're concerned *Shrug* doubt wizards would even notice hehe. 

from what ive seen in the film world, if its a public available image, its fine. ie. from a trailer, etc.  but if someone sneaks a photo from the set, during filming that is not released via an official press source from a sanctioned interview,etc then they ask for it to be removed.

d87840c2-80de-4b76-b17f-6bfc57aa9bee._CR

regards,

sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cygnwulf said:

You're more willing to comment on a complex case than I am.

But just for reference, you have to consider the substantiality of the use (depends on how it's used), the purpose of the use (commerce is a negative, which this would be, but commentary and criticism weighs toward fair use), the effect on the market of the original work (the work in question would be the photo, not the ship), and the nature of the work.

As I say, it's a complex, fact-dependent inquiry.

For more:

http://depts.washington.edu/uwcopy/Copyright_Law/Fair_Use/Four.php

(Also, I would probably be willing to take the chance, but I wouldn't make any recommendations for anyone else. ::D:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2