ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

4 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

My understanding is, Yes.  Everything that gets added to the Core Set at this point will be broken off into its own Core Set Extra Set. Just like the Gem Dragon and Petey D are.  But I have no direct knowledge, and am just assuming based on what we've seen.

Thanks, I'm not getting a full Core, but I would if it meant missing out on those two.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:
8 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Other than a few obviously steampunk figures, I think it's a really nice Pulp set up.  You could plunk most any of those figures down  on an old wharf in 1930's New Orleans, bathed in the soft light of an old dive where the sounds of rough curses and rowdy laughter spill out into the thick humid air, and have yourself one heck of a fun encounter or skirmish game!

Now where could I get some docks and a small boat to make an old wharf...  Hmmmm? ::)::rolleyes:

In feeling weird west myself

Ok, make it a Wharf in Galveston, or San Francisco...  ::):

1 minute ago, BrokenWolf668 said:
4 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

My understanding is, Yes.  Everything that gets added to the Core Set at this point will be broken off into its own Core Set Extra Set. Just like the Gem Dragon and Petey D are.  But I have no direct knowledge, and am just assuming based on what we've seen.

Thanks, I'm not getting a full Core, but I would if it meant missing out on those two.

Someone reported that they are in the Pledge Manager for $3.00 so your all set. ::):

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

801 is 80031 decker lugstampf

811 is 80033 Frank Buck

804 is 80006 steampunk witch

808 is 80005 andre durand

805, 806, 807, 809 may be, or at least look extremely similar to stuff i already have in bones 

I missed those other through flipping back and forth between pages.  Slightly different poses and the original Bones material aversion to good photos didn't help. 

So I wonder what the reasoning is for the duplicates?  Is it because they feel those figures deserve Bones Black?

Or is it because this expansion got half-heartedly thrown together to stave off the torches and pitchforks? 

3 minutes ago, ironregime said:

I'm... uh... not sure what to do with this...

That pretty much sums up the Chronoscope line. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

9 minutes ago, ironregime said:

I'm... uh... not sure what to do with this...

That pretty much sums up the Chronoscope line. 

But... but... they put so much thought into the Encounter sets... you can't look at those without seeing a story in them.

I was hoping some of that storytelling would rub off on the composition of the Chronoscope set....

Edited by ironregime
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have been looking at the villagers and was thinking the same thing.

Nothing wrong with a few of the civvies, I mean, when at Sea and manning the ship doing your job you don't need to wander around carrying weapons all the time.

The press-gangs have obviously been at work :)

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

More importantly the larger mouslings are definitely on a scale that is easier for VERY YOUNG eyes and hands to paint.

GREAT training minis!

Exactly so, and that's perfect for a significant of their target audience - the problem isn't that these mouselings are too big - it's that the old ones are too small!

4 hours ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

Sorry for the repeat, but does anyone know if the Halloween Knight addition is going to be available as a separate separate choice for those of us not getting a complete Core Set?

I would expect it to be broken down into a "Core Sets Extras" sub-set with other minis, probably as an "Extra" with Christmas Eve - I haven't checked yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it already has.

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

For the WW2 stuff, I think taking the Weird War 2 tack would be a better fit for Reaper. 

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I’d love more weird war and weird west stuff! 

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Incidentally, I wouldn’t be interested in historic ww2 guys. If they had weird sci-fi or steam punk elements the. I would be on board. 

Yeah, that pulp, weird west and weird war stuff seems to me like the sort of thing that Reaper, Bones, and the sculptors' style in general are better for than historical minis.  And I think pulp fascist baddies would fit Reaper's existing product lines and aesthetic better than historicals.....

34 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Themed!! Yay!!!!

Though not sure where Santa fits in???  Pulp or Steam?? ::P::lol:

Horror?  :D  The Steampunk thing looks like a reasonably cohesive theme to me, not sure where everyone else is coming from.   There are a lot of repeats/resculpts there, but I guess that comes with the territory of the move to Bones Black....

I rather like what I'm seeing so far, in spite of the repeats - I'm liking this better than Bones IV Chronoscope already.  A lot can change with the other 2/3 of the expansion, but I'm optimistic, and I can't wait to see what the whole set looks like.

• Like 7

I kind of hope we get a bonus goal announced at '24 hours to go' . Seems the scope expansion is only exciting half the scope fans which isn't gonna do it for taking things u pa notch.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Other than a few obviously steampunk figures, I think it's a really nice Pulp set up.  You could plunk most any of those figures down  on an old wharf in 1930's New Orleans, bathed in the soft light of an old dive where the sounds of rough curses and rowdy laughter spill out into the thick humid air, and have yourself one heck of a fun encounter or skirmish game!

Now where could I get some docks and a small boat to make an old wharf...  Hmmmm? ::)::rolleyes:

I like the way you think. 

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So I wonder what the reasoning is for the duplicates?  Is it because they feel those figures deserve Bones Black?

Or is it because this expansion got half-heartedly thrown together to stave off the torches and pitchforks? 

Likely the latter reason.  

Honestly, since I play a variety of genres that are not fantasy, this is a pretty useful collection for me.  I can use all of it, even in duplicate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:
5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If Chronoscope is awesome (IMEF) then I might need to add some funds to get a couple of them though......

All their existing IMEF metal sculpts have made the translation to Bones -

So apparently, it is possible that part 3 could see IMEF or Nova Corp. 

I'm not sure how I feel about that....

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ironregime said:

I was hoping some of that storytelling would rub off on the composition of the Chronoscope set....

Oh, gosh there's so much story to be had in that Chronoscope set!

Start with my Wharf setting:

19 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

The Diver (810) and some muscle (805) are just returning from having recovered some mysterious sunken treasure for the evil mad scientist  (814).. Evil Mad scientist and his minions (801) and (808) are there to receive the shipment.  But wait, Our Heroes (807, 811, 813, and 809) are there to stop them.  Then, surprise another faction emerges from the shadows!  The evil Dr Voodoo (816) and his lieutenant (812) and the wily con man (815)come out of the shadows!  They want the mysterious treasure too!  

Let the game/encounter begin!

There, I think that's most everybody...and that's just off the top of my head.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So apparently, it is possible that part 3 could see IMEF or Nova Corp. 

I'm not sure how I feel about that....

It might get interesting with the next two parts.

Brinewind, first part I was on the brink, part II sold it for me.

Chronoscope Modern and Horror? Might be the Godzilla Look a like? The Car? Some Mythos?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Likely the latter reason.  

That's what scares me

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Honestly, since I play a variety of genres that are not fantasy, this is a pretty useful collection for me.  I can use all of it, even in duplicate.

I'm not a big pulp and steam fan, but I don't hate the first part for it's contents.  I can find ways to use a couple of the figures. 

What concerns me though is that it's contents may be reflective of the rest of the expansion.   If the other two sections - especially the sci-fi section - are just bringing over existing sculpts, then the expansion will just be a big disappointment 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I think they were among the famous "faceless" minis from Bones 1 whose faces didn't hold detail properly. They never made it to retail because of the quality issue so now that Bones Black is here, taking another crack at them seems logical.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dan Goodchild said:

I think they were among the famous "faceless" minis from Bones 1 whose faces didn't hold detail properly. They never made it to retail because of the quality issue so now that Bones Black is here, taking another crack at them seems logical.

All four of them are available on the Reaper Site though. 

• Like 3