Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

I have a question of anyone brave enough to wade through all the kickstarter comments or patient enough to watch all the twitch videos.  Has Reaper said whether the ship model will have removeable cannons and closeable ports?

In other words, can I use this ship in a non-gunpowder medieval fantasy setting with no cannons?  I would just put my own ballista minis on the deck.

I thought I read somewhere that Reaper stated it would be possible to seal up the gun ports with the port "doors?" but I cant find it, and I really don't if that is confirmed.

I'm afraid that more info on the ship will not come out until after the KS ends.

Thanks

Edited by Metzgar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Metzgar said:

I have a question of anyone brave enough to wade through all the kickstarter comments or patient enough to watch all the twitch videos.  Has Reaper said whether the ship model will have removeable cannons and closeable ports?

In other words, can I use this ship in a non-gunpowder medieval fantasy setting with no cannons?  I would just put my own ballista minis on the deck.

I thought I read somewhere that Reaper stated it would be possible to seal up the gun ports with the port "doors?" but I cant find it, and I really don't if I that is confirmed.

I'm afraid that more info on the ship will not come out until after the KS ends.

Thanks

As of now, the plan is that the canons are removable.

• Like 5

Just now, SamuraiJack said:

3 free core set additions at 1, 2 and 3...

On the hour, every hour.

No required pledge total.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Metzgar said:

I thought I read somewhere that Reaper stated it would be possible to seal up the gun ports with the port "doors?" but I cant find it, and I really don't if I that is confirmed.

Thanks

They said that they wanted to have the cannons removable and the ports hinged. That's not sure, just their desire.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

The thing is, though, those cyber reavers ARE ENTIRELY spindly bits. 

I'm pretty sure they'll come out of the molds looking great. But will they stand up to shipping, handling and game play? 

Those guys couldn't be any more bendy and delicate than the average Bones skeleton, and most of those since Bones I or II have been alright.

1 hour ago, izzylobo said:

Given the general vibe this campaign, I can absolutely see them trying to do what they can° to avoid bad feels.

°"what they can" is an incredibly important part of this sentence - but given the general vibe, I'm sure plenty of people will ignore it... :down:

Yeah, the general bad mood among the backers has been something new to Bones Kickstarters, at least it's seemed that way to me.  I mean, you always get negative backers, but it's never seemed like the majority of backers before....  Seems like pretty much everything that's been revealed has been met with a chorus of "That sucks too, I quit!  Lucky I only pledged a dollar for this!"  A lot of backers seem to be pretty solidly set on backing for that dollar and not a penny more, too.

I think Reaper lost a lot when they lost Reaper Bryan - he seemed to have a talent for the whole public relations thing.  Bryan's departure might be part of what's wrong, but maybe this would have happened sooner or later, and Reaper was just bound to see a day when the backers get jaded and the mood gets ugly and that's all there is too it - Bryan just had the good luck to cash in his chips and leave before it happened.

There seems to be a LOT of the ol' "you got chocolate in my peanut butter - my life is ruined!" thing, where a set might have  a handful of excellent figures, a lot of useful figures, but one figure that just rubs the backers' collective OCD the wrong way.  "That One Figure is the wrong genre!  I can't buy  this set!"  "That One Figure is Pathfinder or D&D 4E instead of 5E, this set has ruined my life!"  "There should have been exactly five of these mooks and exactly four of those, but the numbers are backwards... I just can't handle this sort of incompetence!"  I exaggerate a little maybe, but a lot of the complaints seem almost as picky to me.....

Over all, I like the way the campaign was run, aside from the PR.  A lot of great stuff, a lot of interesting experiments (even if, like the busts, they didn't all pan out as instant successes, I appreciate that Reaper is trying to reach out to new customers with new ideas!)  The encounters and interlocking themes seem to be working out well.

I somehow do feel like there's way more stuff going on in this Kickstarter than I had the money, space, and time to do anything with:  my problem wasn't a matter of not enough stuff appealing to me, but way too much.  I finally had to say 'no' to a lot of those encounters - they're darned cool, but I just don't have room for the scenery, and I've got too many figures I need to stop hoarding and start auctioning as it is.

I'm not sure how I feel about the social media thing:  I guess it's the wave of the future, but I just don't like feeling like I'm under pressure to go out and spam the world as part of the culture of supporting the products... the whole thing doesn't really agree with me or my personality.  It particularly feels awkward when that's where the effort seems to be going, instead of toward working out whatever the problems are with the angry, cynical, and critical long-time backers....

The sculpting, figures, and Bones Black material are all great - this is the best-looking Bones Kickstarter ever.

I agree with the folks who think that Chronoscope really needs some TLC and vision in its presentation, planning, and strategy... the "throw a kitchen sink full of random stuff at the wall and see what sticks" approach seems to just sort of maintain the product line, but I can't help thinking there's a success story somewhere in Chronoscope, if only the right product owner were to use the right approaches to product development, packaging, advertising, distribution, etc.

• Like 6

I'll admit that I only skim read a lot of the pages in this thread; is all of this negativity and bad feelings from the KS comments section, or is it here, too and I just glossed over it?

• Like 3

I like Ravenhome and the Ghoul set - the gothic horror stuff makes me happy!  I think that appeals to me a lot more than "generic fantasy" does, and there's crossover potential there for both the Mythos and the traditional D&D fantasy genres.

This is the part of the campaign where things go by too quickly for me to keep up!

• Like 3

Per Ed on the stream.  In the PM they might try to make the Gem dragon in all sorts of different translucent colors, in addition to clear.  But only the clear would make it to retail.

Ed prefers clear himself; it will make people happier.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1