Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

10 hours ago, vulture said:

The Ghoulsbane would go really well with the Ghoul Queen encounter.....

I'll probably use it that way too.

For those of you wondering what it is, I will say that it was inspired by the sussurus from the '81 Fiend Folio, easily one of the most obscure old school monsters. I can see it fitting a few roles (eg popup skull pile, large vine horror, small tendriculous, etc). TBH I was caught up in the mood of the Halloween season, and I wanted to do something that would be horrifying - all those glowing eyes staring at you from the dark.....

I really love that monster! Thank you for making it ^_^

My baby will be 2 years old when this fulfills... is that too young to get her into painting them? :lol:

• Like 7
  • Haha 9
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I really love that monster! Thank you for making it ^_^

My baby will be 2 years old when this fulfills... is that too young to get her into painting them? :lol:

My kids both started to show an interest when they were four.  YMMV in either direction.

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I'm willing to bet if she is into your paints at two years old, you probably won't be too thrilled...

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

Regarding the tentacles-and-eyes controversy, it seems to me that WotC was doing that whole OGL thing where whey were opening parts of D&D to the public to the extent that publishers could make third-party content more easily and so on, but there were specific things that they retained as their own hands-off-without-licensing permission, including a few specific monsters, one of which subsequently became something of an advertising mascot.  As long as other companies took sufficient effort to make a "not-at-all-that-monster-honestly" knock-off, such that it doesn't have the same name and doesn't exactly look the same to the degree that the public doesn't get confused, they would probably be able to fly it in under the legal radar.

Hence, the Eye Beast, which totally doesn't look like anything in any WotC/Hasbro monster manual today:

Spoiler

IMG-20191027-032445.jpg

I've not seen whatever got hit with that C&D, but I'd be willing to bet it copied WotC/Hasbro's IP closely enough to arguably cause some confusion (which isn't hard to imagine, considering what was said earlier about the Kickstarter comments and the inability of many of the backers to simply read back a couple comments earlier or read the campaign's FAQ or main page for an answer....)

Edited by YronimosW
at war with spelling
  • Like 8

the worst examples ive seen , i think:

- Final Fantasy 2 IIRC, i think it was, has a boss called a marilith and its the same as the D&D one (the hindu inspired 6 armed snake tanar'ri demon)

- demon souls video game  -they literally have creatures called mind flayers, that look the same, use a psionic blast and if it hits you, you are stunned as they run over and eat your brain

hehe

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

My current want list:

Core

Greek Odyssey

Chronoscope

Dark Depths

Brinewind

Fan Favorites

Brinewind Extras

Townsfolk

Gallowgard

Troll Bridge

Charnel Pit

Ravenhome

Krateryx

Aganzarax

Valfuryx

Sirens

Arakoth

Stuff I'm still on the fence about:

Spider Encounter

Kaiju Chaos

Pirate Ship

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Apparently the Pledge Manager is down for some, and not for others. I can't access it. 

Based on KS comments from ~7-8 hours ago, it seems the teased (not truly revealed) Hirelings set was added into the PM. 

not working for me either

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.