Jump to content
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Recommended Posts

On 11/13/2019 at 4:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Ship's name - The Shivering Timbers.

That is the least auspicious name a wooden sailing ship could ever be given. 

 

The expression “Shiver me timbers!” means anything from:

‘...just-kill-me-now...’ to

‘...right-I’m-done-for...’ or

‘...it-doesn’t-get-worse-than-this...’

 

A Shivered Timber is a real thing. A real bad thing. When rot sets in on a large piece of lumber it begins to fall apart into strands parallel to the grain in the wood. Having a piece of lumber that is supposed to be keeping the sea out disassemble itself into a bundle of loose strands of wood fibers usually doomed a ship. 

 

Holes and leaks could be patched or plugged, but a shivered timber failing all along its length, meant dry dock fast or else sink. 

 

 

47 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I was hoping they'd leave the ship unnamed and let people choose their own. People are going to rename it anyway.

 

41 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

The name plate on the back of the ship will be left blank. 

 

They said they were strongly considering leaving it open on one of the twitch TV streams. 

 

If they are really smart, (and I like to think they are) they will have a nameplate that detaches and is a separate detail part. Just like the binnacle, the stern lanterns, the ship’s wheel, etc. 

 

@Reaper Ron please do ^ that. And this:

 

If the nameplate was left/right symmetrical it could have the chosen name lettered on one side, be a blank slate on the other side, and the hobbyist would choose which way to glue it into place. (And the really ambitious ones would set it up to swap out with tiny neodymium magnets.)

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragons, lots of dragons in this KS and its hard to choose which ones to have!

So, going to ask for some assistance to narrow it down :)

If you were only only to choose just TWO dragons from the addons, which would you choose:

 

Valfuryx

Aganzarax

Shavynra

Krateryx

Ildraedis

Kalanzar

 

Any opinions warmly welcomed.

 

ps - New to Reaper and Bones so I have nothing from previous KS etc.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am by no means an expert on naval history.  However, I was on a tour of a vintage tall ship and the tour guide explained the origins of the "Shiver me timbers" line.  I'm assuming he is accurate as I have no knowledge to contest it.  Here is basically what he said:

 

When canon fire hit the side of a wooden ship it would not just punch a clean hole through the wood (aka, the timbers).  The wood would splinter violently and fly all over the inside at high speed.  Basically becoming wooden shrapnel and really make a bad day for the people in the area.  These flying bits of wood were called shivers.  Thus, having your timbers shivered was a bad thing.

 

I assume the shiver me timbers line was kind of like saying "I'm screwed"  or something along though lines.

 

Maybe someone with more knowledge could comment but I found that tidbit of the tour interesting.

Edited by Rignes
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there will be a KS update today, but they showed everything that will be in the update during the Reaper Live episode last night (and said that will be the case the whole way through to fulfillment; they will show the next day's Update reveals on the Reaper Live episode the day prior).

 

Here is a timestamped link to the youtube video, if you want to watch it yourself, Starting just after the 44 minute mark.

 

The first thing they showed was a spin-around of the Greek Odyssey Satyr by Christine Van Patten:

 

881503374_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_51_26AM.png.48bf6446570315612e0c96d9ddb31471.png1623052351_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_51_42AM.png.6fe215fccd497a3a1ff9a2c13fb19cf7.png

92318590_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_52_03AM.png.440d7387df4e68641f07bdcbd430c31f.png1763507319_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_52_24AM.png.ebe6c322704f1b8b9d32489089a57397.png

 

The render isn't 100% finished, but there were just a few minor things they wanted to alter, such as the angle at which the sword was held, and possibly the angle of the horns, and shift how he's holding his weight on his legs a bit.  (Alterations mostly due to allowing this to be a single-piece injection, rather than two parts that need assembly; it sounds as if the sword and horn alterations are already included in the render we see, but the stance-shift is not.)

 

Rainbow Sculptor is working on the Faun right now, and they expect to show it off next week.

 

Next was the Circe and boar models from Greek Odyssey:

 

1385077150_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_02_26AM.png.a93a6b07dab141fd2c645d242d252a9d.png

Again, not 100% finalized, but mostly there.  Yes, the boars are separate pieces.

 

They also showed a spin-around of the Wildfolk from the Fan Favorites expansion (but the front-face graphic was in the KS FF expansion image, so you've already seen them; watch the video if you want to see the spin-around).

 

Here is the Bones 5 Murkillor render, with a different integral base:

 

2009229128_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_06_58AM.png.66366f6ec3e04d22b13bd5ed060a0f35.png1155653572_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_07_10AM.png.ba3d3c4d2033b9abdc78dd3a9c66c327.png

20 minutes ago, Grimheart said:

Dragons, lots of dragons in this KS and its hard to choose which ones to have!

So, going to ask for some assistance to narrow it down :)

If you were only only to choose just TWO dragons from the addons, which would you choose:

 

Valfuryx

Aganzarax

Shavynra

Krateryx

Ildraedis

Kalanzar

 

Any opinions warmly welcomed.

 

ps - New to Reaper and Bones so I have nothing from previous KS etc.

 

 

Ooof.  Hard choice.

 

I would rule out Shavynra and Ildraedis.  The other four are just so amazing (Krateryx largely because he'll be in translucent smoke color).

 

If i could only get 3, it would be Valfuryx, Aganzarax, and Kalanzar.

 

The correct answer is to just add another one to your order each month ::P:

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Grimheart:

 

It’s a hard choice I know!

 

I’ve never painted a large mini so take my recommendation with a grain of salt but I like Valfuryx and Shavynra. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Kalibak
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never painted a large mini either.  I plan to get the dragon bust as practice since it's bigger than a normal mini but not as huge as a full on dragon.  I'll probably grab a dragon or two as well when it's all said and done but not sure which one.  They all look pretty cool.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Grimheart said:

Dragons, lots of dragons in this KS and its hard to choose which ones to have!

So, going to ask for some assistance to narrow it down :)

If you were only only to choose just TWO dragons from the addons, which would you choose:

 

Valfuryx

Aganzarax

Shavynra

Krateryx

Ildraedis

Kalanzar

 

Any opinions warmly welcomed.

 

ps - New to Reaper and Bones so I have nothing from previous KS etc.

 

 

First, welcome to the place! Aganzarax has been my favorite since we first saw sneak peaks from Reapercon. It would be a toss-up between Valfuryx and Krateryx then for me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Next was the Circe and boar models from Greek Odyssey:

 

1385077150_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_02_26AM.png.a93a6b07dab141fd2c645d242d252a9d.png

Again, not 100% finalized, but mostly there.  Yes, the boars are separate pieces.

 

Very happy to hear that!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it'd set me back a big amount, but it would break my heart to not get all of the dragons. I, too, haven't painted any pieces of that size, and it'd surely take me a long time to paint them all, but I can't help but feel like they're a "set" - and having one for each color would be great.

 

Shavynra and Valfuryx are probably the ones I like best in terms of being "intimidating" dragons. Aganzarax is great too on that front.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

So there will be a KS update today, but they showed everything that will be in the update during the Reaper Live episode last night (and said that will be the case the whole way through to fulfillment; they will show the next day's Update reveals on the Reaper Live episode the day prior).

 

Here is a timestamped link to the youtube video, if you want to watch it yourself, Starting just after the 44 minute mark.

 

The first thing they showed was a spin-around of the Greek Odyssey Satyr by Christine Van Patten:

 

881503374_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_51_26AM.png.48bf6446570315612e0c96d9ddb31471.png1623052351_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_51_42AM.png.6fe215fccd497a3a1ff9a2c13fb19cf7.png

92318590_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_52_03AM.png.440d7387df4e68641f07bdcbd430c31f.png1763507319_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_52_24AM.png.ebe6c322704f1b8b9d32489089a57397.png

 

The render isn't 100% finished, but there were just a few minor things they wanted to alter, such as the angle at which the sword was held, and possibly the angle of the horns, and shift how he's holding his weight on his legs a bit.  (Alterations mostly due to allowing this to be a single-piece injection, rather than two parts that need assembly; it sounds as if the sword and horn alterations are already included in the render we see, but the stance-shift is not.)

 

Rainbow Sculptor is working on the Faun right now, and they expect to show it off next week.

 

Next was the Circe and boar models from Greek Odyssey:

 

1385077150_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_02_26AM.png.a93a6b07dab141fd2c645d242d252a9d.png

Again, not 100% finalized, but mostly there.  Yes, the boars are separate pieces.

 

They also showed a spin-around of the Wildfolk from the Fan Favorites expansion (but the front-face graphic was in the KS FF expansion image, so you've already seen them; watch the video if you want to see the spin-around).

 

Here is the Bones 5 Murkillor render, with a different integral base:

 

2009229128_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_06_58AM.png.66366f6ec3e04d22b13bd5ed060a0f35.png1155653572_ScreenShot2019-11-15at11_07_10AM.png.ba3d3c4d2033b9abdc78dd3a9c66c327.png

 

First thing that satyr needs is a tiny tail.

 

And maybe a smaller rack but that's more a matter of taste ::P:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I am by no means an expert on naval history.  However, I was on a tour of a vintage tall ship and the tour guide explained the origins of the "Shiver me timbers" line.  I'm assuming he is accurate as I have no knowledge to contest it.  Here is basically what he said:

 

When canon fire hit the side of a wooden ship it would not just punch a clean hole through the wood (aka, the timbers).  The wood would splinter violently and fly all over the inside at high speed.  Basically becoming wooden shrapnel and really make a bad day for the people in the area.  These flying bits of wood were called shivers.  Thus, having your timbers shivered was a bad thing.

 

I assume the shiver me timbers line was kind of like saying "I'm screwed"  or something along though lines.

 

Maybe someone with more knowledge could comment but I found that tidbit of the tour interesting.

Or you could just call flying pieces of splintered wood: “splinters”.

 

I think that tour guide got two simillar terms swapped.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

 

First thing that satyr needs is a tiny tail.

 

And maybe a smaller rack but that's more a matter of taste ::P:

I prefer a bigger rack, myself.

 

Heyoooo!

1 hour ago, Grimheart said:

Dragons, lots of dragons in this KS and its hard to choose which ones to have!

So, going to ask for some assistance to narrow it down :)

If you were only only to choose just TWO dragons from the addons, which would you choose:

 

Valfuryx

Aganzarax

Shavynra

Krateryx

Ildraedis

Kalanzar

 

Any opinions warmly welcomed.

 

ps - New to Reaper and Bones so I have nothing from previous KS etc.

 

 

At present, I'm planning on getting Shavynra and Krateryx only. I like the look of most of the dragons, but I already have a gargantuan of each chromatic dragon, and just don't need that many more dragons. My plan for Shavynra is to remove wings and a pair of limbs to turn him into a Linnorm. I'm debating trying with Aganzarax as well...

 

I'm hoping I can use Krateryx as a huge dragon, of which I have a couple colours I still need to fill out my collection. Hopefully, the dragons in the Core will also fill out my huge dragon set.

 

In my opinion, Aganzarax is actually the best looking of the dragons, but I don't think it can be modded to be a Linnorm as easily as Shavynra.

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:



 

In my opinion, Aganzarax is actually the best looking of the dragons, but I don't think it can be modded to be a Linnorm as easily as Shavynra. 

which linnorn do you want?

 

i want a corpse tearer, midgard serpent, and dread ... corpose tearer would be an interesting project to build from scratch...

 

sanjay

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grimheart said:

Dragons, lots of dragons in this KS and its hard to choose which ones to have!

So, going to ask for some assistance to narrow it down :)

If you were only only to choose just TWO dragons from the addons, which would you choose:

 

Valfuryx

Aganzarax

Shavynra

Krateryx

Ildraedis

Kalanzar

 

Any opinions warmly welcomed.

 

ps - New to Reaper and Bones so I have nothing from previous KS etc.

 

 

I'm currently planning on getting Valfuryx, Aganzarax, and Krateryx. I have plans to experiment with Krateryx (I wanna drill a hole all the way through him to his head and plant an led there, then paint him up except his eyes and the back of his throat to let light bleed out of them) so I think he's safe from elimination. Between the other two it'd be a hard call, but at gunpoint I'd stick with Aganzarax, who will most likely be painted to look like a Star Wars Tauntaun.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Or you could just call flying pieces of splintered wood: “splinters”.

 

I think that tour guide got two simillar terms swapped.

 

Maybe he's not totally wrong. Words and their uses change over time.  This article is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiver_my_timbers

 

That gives some other interesting takes on the phrase.  We probably can't know for 100% certain where it came from but it's fun to think about.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Corsair
      This one ends tomorrow. It looks pretty neat
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-in-space-the-re-entry-zone?ref=ksr_email_user_new_friend_backing
    • By SamuraiJack
      <link here>
       
      Tomb Guardians over the past year has been asked to release our miniatures in a resin/plastic material because a lot of you do not like metal.  So for nearly a year we have discussed and researched the best way to produce a high quality, high detail miniature that is far above the current standard on the market.  We are happy to announce that we have found a method and decided to release all our 28mm monsters in a High Resolution Resin.  These miniatures will come with a 1 year guarantee, if you break one we will replace it for FREE!  Just mail it back to us.   Bobby Jackson, Jason Weibe, Gene Van Horne and Patrick Keith help create these amazing creatures.  We hope you enjoy our Monsters and want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  
       

       

       

       
       
    • By Darsc Zacal
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/northumbriantin/the-curious-case-of-the-cats-of-crumptown-28mm-miniatures?ref=discovery_category_newest
       
      A fantastical range of White Metal Cat Miniatures representing the iconic fifth edition character classes of the world’s greatest roleplaying game!
       
       
      No pics of the minis yet. Will update this post as more info is released.
       
    • By Chris Palmer
      Neat little Kickstarter to make a set of Plastic Toy Soldier Style Army Women.  
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bmctoys/plastic-army-women?ref=9u35x8&amp;token=9e662474
       
      The BMC Toys Plastic Army Women is a 24-piece set of plastic female soldier figures in 6 different poses:
      Pathfinder Captain Standing Rifleman Kneeling Rifleman Prone Sniper Grenadier Bazooka Operator November 16th Update: Stretch Goals #1, #2 and #3 are unlocked. All packs of Plastic Army Women are getting upgraded to 36 figures in 12 different poses.  Additional poses include:
      Running Rifleman Combat Medic Low-Crawl Rifleman Radio Operator Wounded Soldier ????????  Made from slightly flexible olive drab green color LDPE plastic, the figures will be approximately 1:32 scale, and stand up to 2.1 inches tall. Their uniforms and equipment are Cold War era, and the size and style are designed to allow these figures to fit in with a wide range of Plastic Army Men that already populate several generations of toy boxes. 




    • By Westfalia
      Hello!
       
      We're back with another small campaign. 9 minis sculpted by Boris Woloszyn, we cast in crisp resin and the whole set is 50USD. (40USD if you pledge during the first 12 hours)
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/westfaliaminiatures/barbarians-bards-and-buccaneers
       
      Thanks or having a look!
       

  • Who's Online   30 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...