ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

30 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

I love both the Hellborn Tiefling Paladin and the landsknecht. Probably my favorite minis in this KS.

to borrow from @ksbsnowowl

1)  Dungeon Dwellers:  Not much here of interest for me that I dont already own. I wouldnt mind the plague docs though I ALREADY have in Metal. 

2)  Greek Odyssey:  @Rainbow Sculptor 's fauns may push me over the edge on this. But I have plenty of greek minis from a board game kickstarter. Mythic Battles.

3)  Dark Depths:  This is on my list. Love the Seadevils and merfolk. 

4)  Fan Favorites:  This has my 2 favorite minis in the KS, so is my #1 choice. Will buy extra landsknechts at retail.

5)  Brinewind:  Love this set, my #2. May try to get 2. Will get extra Doxies at retail.

6)  Daimyo: No interest. My group hasn't done any eastern adventures in 10+ years. Not enough characters for players.

7)  Chronoscope:  There are 2 minis (almost like Bones 4 chrono) that I want... but everything else is of no use to me. The trailer is interesting. Not sure if I will get at retail or not.

8)  Brinewind Extras:  Another great set. I am planning on getting 3. 

9) The Ship. Planning on getting 2. This will be my first lock in when the PM opens. Need 2 for ship battles. 

10+) the little encounters. I love most of them. Of them the vampire one is my favorite. Again @Rainbow Sculptor... i am getting 2 of that. I also like the ghoul encounter. Not getting the dwarf one or the spider one. Still considering the Yeti one. 

*cough cough*

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalibak said:

I was just looking at the Reaper Bones V Kickstarter (for about the 500th time in the last week alone) and got confused by something:

Some of the “New MSP Colors” in the Options section seem to already be available for sale on the Reaper website. 09137 (Blackened Brown) and 09188 (Ultramarine Blue) are two examples but I’m pretty sure there are more. 

What gives? I had planned on buying both of those “new” color sets through the Kickstarter but would I be better spending my money on something else if I can already get those colors now?

There are 2 paint sets.  Those two are in the "Foerster's Favorites" set, which are all regular production colors.  All of them are fantastic colors and I use about half of them regularly (I would presume Anne does too which is why they chose them)

Only the set titled "New MSP Paint Colors" are not currently for sale and actually 'New or previously limited edition' Those are 

Carnival Purple - Believe this was a reapercon color

Bruised Purple

Ashen Brown

Black Indigo - these three paints were the reapercon 2018 triad

Rich Indigo

Wild Violet - Not sure on these, think they were made to go with black indigo for another triad.

Yellow Ochre

Oxidized Red

Oxidized Brown - These three are brand new. Clear Earth pigments. Very excited for these.

Orchid Purple

Lotus Orange

Leafbud Green  - I beleive that orchid purple was a previously oopsed or urban legend paint Anne called 'Sexy Purple'.  Not sure if the other two existed before.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Only the set titled "New MSP Paint Colors" are not currently for sale and actually 'New or previously limited edition'

The problem is that both paint sets are titled "NEW MSP COLORS" in the main image on the front page of the project. (And that page is not editable any more, since the project is done.)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Hopefully those don't come pre-assembled.. LOVE them, but I hate trying to paint details behind other things..

Yup, I agree.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The first set of "new" colors includes at least one color that has previously been a limited edition color at conventions (Carnival Purple); I'm not sure about the rest. I think the second set is entirely existing colors.

As to whether you should buy through the Kickstarter? You can get them (the second set, anyway) now at full retail or you can wait until 2021 and get them at less than half retail. Since many of the colors in that set are in my regular rotation of most-used colors, I'd say pay retail and get them now, but that would depend on what else you have already.

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

There are 2 paint sets.  Those two are in the "Foerster's Favorites" set, which are all regular production colors.  All of them are fantastic colors and I use about half of them regularly (I would presume Anne does too which is why they chose them)

Only the set titled "New MSP Paint Colors" are not currently for sale and actually 'New or previously limited edition' Those are 

Bruised Purple

Ashen Brown

Rich Indigo

Wild Violet - Not sure on these, think they were made to go with black indigo for another triad.

Yellow Ochre

Oxidized Red

Oxidized Brown - These three are brand new. Clear Earth pigments. Very excited for these.

Orchid Purple

Lotus Orange

Leafbud Green  - I beleive that orchid purple was a previously oopsed or urban legend paint Anne called 'Sexy Purple'.  Not sure if the other two existed before.

Thank you both so much!

I get it now. I had been thrown by the listing that called them both “new” (and since I’m brand new to Reaper myself, everything is new and confusing to me anyway!) but now understand that:

1. one set is “new” colors (or previously released limited release ones anyway); and

2. another set is someone (a professional

painter?)’s favorite colors that they’re making available as a special group for less than their retail price. 

Still both tempting options then. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kalibak said:

another set is someone (a professional

painter?)’s favorite colors that they’re making available as a special group for less than their retail price. 

The painter involved is Anne Foerster, who is a professional painter and at the very top of the game. She often does the Wednesday Twitch stream on the Reaper channel for painting (though not tomorrow) and is also the one who formulates paint for Reaper (and I think runs the paint department).

If you show up at Reapercon, you should be able to meet her, as she is on Artists' Row and usually teaches several classes. Excellent painter and teacher.

The argument for getting her set is that the paints are very useful colors and the price is unbeatable (you would save about $26 by waiting). The argument against is that you won't have those paints for a year and a half, and they would be very useful in the interim. The question is whether they would be useful enough to pay the premium. There is a decent case to be made for picking up a few colors from the set now* and then ordering the set for 2021 delivery at the discounted price to get the rest.

* The colors I use all the time are Blackened Brown and Bleached Linen, FWIW, but they're all very nice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Bruised Purple

Ashen Brown

Rich Indigo

Carnival Purple - also known is Proctor Punch Purple according to @Clever Crow - Was a Reapercon 2013 color

Rich Indigo was a Master Series HD paint 29847: HD Rich Indigo which i believe is coming back as a Bones paint and will be in Bones set #5

• Like 6

To reply to what Doug said, while they would be useful in the interum, what I like about the forrester favorites set of colors -is- the delivery date. I tend to use a limited pallet and figure i should have enough paints to get me through the minis I have, plus some. I don't have to worry about being out of colors when the sudden influx of minis arrives. The savings is nice too though.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Independny said:

To reply to what Doug said, while they would be useful in the interum, what I like about the forrester favorites set of colors -is- the delivery date. I tend to use a limited pallet and figure i should have enough paints to get me through the minis I have, plus some. I don't have to worry about being out of colors when the sudden influx of minis arrives. The savings is nice too though.

I don't particularly disagree:

On 12/3/2019 at 8:30 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

... I'd say pay retail and get them now, but that would depend on what else you have already.

If you're happy working with what you have now, then there's no special urgency to get new paint. At that point, the discount is a great reason to wait. If you need paint today, the premium for immediate purchase is (in the grand scheme of things), not much for an 18 month advantage in delivery time.

No right answer for everyone here, but for me, those are the factors on which to base a decision.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, kodiakbear said:

According to the Ancient Romans the Roman God Pan did die around 2,000 thousand years ago. 

My personal opinion is the Ancient Greek Pan and his buddy Dionysus are as alive as they ever were, and I would love to have Reaper do statues/minis of them. 

I would welcome a Greek Odyssey 2 and 3 as the original Greek Odyssey expansion set is a good start.

Started with the Greeks, in the first century CE, when the gods spoke to a sailor on his way to Italy - "Thamus, are you there? When you reach Palodes take care to proclaim that the great god Pan is dead."

Oddly conversational gods....

I forgot to list the LTPK among  my personal choices... but definitely on there.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't particularly disagree:

If you're happy working with what you have now, then there's no special urgency to get new paint. At that point, the discount is a great reason to wait. If you need paint today, the premium for immediate purchase is (in the grand scheme of things), not much for an 18 month advantage in delivery time.

No right answer for everyone here, but for me, those are the factors on which to base a decision.

BUT when the time comes and the Bones land at your door, you WILL be glad to have tbe paints. We ALWAYS get the KS paints, and have  NEVER regretted it. ::):

• Like 7

I have discovered the perfect theme to do the pirate ship up in!

94E6B750-9795-466C-BD8A-746ABDA8026C.thumb.jpeg.d4f38f91220f898699c1010000d90851.jpeg

Perfect for the Halloween knight and the pumpkin beholder!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I have discovered the perfect theme to do the pirate ship up in!

Hide contents

94E6B750-9795-466C-BD8A-746ABDA8026C.thumb.jpeg.d4f38f91220f898699c1010000d90851.jpeg

Perfect for the Halloween knight and the pumpkin beholder!

Reaper’s Grave Minions could be converted into a pretty dandy crew to boot! 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 8

The only big reveals and updates from last night's Reaper Live was that they showed the work-in-progress render of the Buglips goblin (he was still spheres and cylinders below the waist), and they mentioned they were hoping the Pledge Manager would go live this week (so... today maybe?).  Initially the PM will take credit cards; PayPal functionality will be added about a week later.

Edit:  Today's Bones 5 Live they said that they decided to wait to make the PM live until they get the PayPal functionality fixed, so hopefully next Monday.

Here's the WIP Buglips sculpt.

410155689_ScreenShot2019-12-06at3_26_48PM.png.8c4daf3f02e5dccd7a42584ce9ccbe3d.png1204404925_ScreenShot2019-12-06at3_26_54PM.png.4b61c799b277699cb03e8064a323aabe.png1719455372_ScreenShot2019-12-06at3_27_00PM.png.e90c3e84a86ee64019d7cf55fa483336.png

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 8