ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

4 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

A few bases were added under the Base Boss section:

1" bases: ~20 per pack, $3

2" bases: ~10 per pack, $3

3" bases: ~10 per pack, $4

I would love to see display bases as well!

• Like 1

Well, a lot of the new CGI-rendered bones models have integral (though oval) bases.  I won't be adding a base to most of those.

Really the only ones that will need bases (IMO) are older pewter sculpts that are making their way to Bones.

14 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I would love to see display bases as well!

Tonight's Reaper Live, Ed said they will add 11 more bases to the PM, and "finish out their display base line."

They are still waiting on stuff before showing all the final prints of the pirate ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The oval integral bases drive me nuts. I don't get it.

I always rebase those, but I know I might be a minority.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pineapple said:

I rebase all of my Reaper models. The shape doesn't bother me, but I want a little uniformity in how my bases look.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pineapple said:

Yah I'm not to fond of the new base. It'll still fit on a black plastic base but I still don't like it.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:06 AM, Pineapple said:

Exactly. Almost every game uses circle or square bases, so making integrated bases ovals seems just a weird decision, overall...

• Like 2

the one advantage to the oval display bases is they fit well into my storage containers.  The ones I rebase have to be moved into the larger compartments in my storage trays. 

I still do  change the bases on some of them, or anything that isn't balanced enough to stand up well. 

• Like 4

I also rebase my Bones (and pretty much everything else) too. Mostly for uniformity, but putting them on the right size of circles for D&D is also important to me. I sometimes use oval/cavalry bases though, especially if something is supposed to be medium but has no chance of fitting onto a 1 inch base (horses).

• Like 5

we tend to only rebase for 2 reasons...

1. the size of the integral base is too big for the D&D size of the mini, and how many squares on the grid it is supposed to take up (only for miniatures hubby intends to use for gaming though)

2. I am painting something for display and want a nicer base

otherwise we leave them be. if they fit close enough to how they should on the grid, hubby doesn't care as much about rebasing them, even if they dont' match. mostly because he's frugal and doesn't want to spend money on buying black bases to base things on if he doesn't have to

• Like 4

I usually rebase any mini with the oval bases, mostly because I find that they tip over far too easily in the chaos that is representing a Pathfinder combat. I could just stick them on a round base, but then it would look weird and set off my gaming ocd something awful. 

Still chugging through pledging for everything that I want to pick up. I can only spare a certain amount each month, so I'm really hoping that the Pledge Manager is extended for a wee bit longer than they stated. 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8

On 5/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, TGP said:

As the Great and Wise All-seeing Griffyn, and the only[?] remaining reader of Bryangles, I can tell you the metal one is between 2 and 3 inches tall. (The outboard digit on its left side fore-claw is ...[about]... 26mm from the deck; scale from there.)

On 5/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, TGP said:

image.png.3f30df9f956fd9cce2a0b17c992472fa.png

I have made some modifications and... added graffiti made a mess on enhanced the standard catalog picture below. Hopefully, this shows how the little wedge shapes (Bryangles) are used to gauge the height of a model:

The key is knowing that they are 12.7mm (half-an-inch) apart. Use one as the center of a circle. Use the other 

as the edge of a circle. Once drawn, that circle is useful to measure with.

ForestDragonCircled.png.71687899c60e97a31aa7c7882adaaf0c.png

• The circles are the same diameter as a 1 inch round RPG base (standing on edge).
  • The long yellow line is the table surface.
  • The long red line that grazes her wing is about 58 or 59mm above the table surface.

Two inches is ~51mm; three inches is 76.2mm.

(Note: they could easily upscale or downscale the Bones version a little bit without harming the details much. I doubt that would happen deliberately.)

It may help to see the object providing the wedges. Normally it is cropped away right at the edge of the frame. Normally it is placed at the same distance from the camera as the center of the model. But, it makes a rare appearance here:

60056_w_1.jpg

...on Jason Wiebe's metal Jabberwocky, 60056.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Reaper got the volumetric print of the Pirate Ship in, and took several photos.  Note that this is not the final fine detail version, it is merely a volumetric print that they have already sent off to the factory so that the factory has it for size reference. 

A few other points:

• The banister/railing spindles ARE still seahorses.
  • They didn't take the time to attach most of the cannon window flaps; they did attach two, and they accidentally did them backwards (what you can see is what should be on the inside when closed.
  • They had a pallet wrapped in blue saran wrap in the loading dock, so they used that to mock up "water" for the pictures.
  • They did get some final quotes confirmed (or are nearly about to have them confirmed?  I think it has been confirmed) for getting the ship done in three "colors."  Bones Black (actually ABS, IIRC, but dark grey), Translucent, and glow-in-the-dark.  They should start getting the second and third colors added to the pledge manager next week.
  • The translucent and glow-in-the-dark versions will likely only be available in the Kickstarter; only the "black" one will be brought to retail.

Hopefully that's all the info pertinent to the interests of those following this thread.  UNLEASH THE PICTURES!

(I did miss one picture that slipped by too quickly, but it was just a goofy cockeyed picture of the side of the ship).

In those final two pictures, that is a 55 gallon trash can, FYI.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.31.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.31.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.31.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.33.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.33.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.34.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.34.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.34.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.34.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.34.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.35.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.36.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.36.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.37.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.38.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.38.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.38.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.39.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.40.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.40.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.41.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.42.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.42.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.42.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.43.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.45.31 PM.png

Here is the original unveiling photo of the Pirate Ship from the Kickstarter, for reference.

image.thumb.png.681bd2e07a29ac11bce1589cfaaff0a1.png

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8