ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Probably my last order for this KS, as it's a big one. Also, probably my hobby budget for the next two months as well, ha ha. I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to put a order in this month, but I really didn't want to not do it & then have to do anther "Oh crap I need this, this, this" before it closes next month or Sept(now?). Anyways here is today's damage:

Power Up: Demonic Legion Option x1

Power Up: Beastmen Option x1

Power Up: Henchwomen Option x1

Dragon Folk x1

Aganzarax x1

Troll Bridge Encounter x1

Mammoth x1

Yokai x1

Shavynra the Slayer x1

The Spiders of Emrith Kul x1

Krateryx, Shadow Dragon x1

Rune Wights x1

Option: Elemental Scions x1

Encounter at Gallowgard x1

The Dwarf King's Crypt x1

Ildraedis the Devourer x1

Song of the Sirens x1

Charnel Pit of the Ghoul Queen x1

Demonic Temptation Option x1

Yog-Sothoth x1

Kalanzar the Wicked x1

Brinewind Extras Option x1

Henchmen and Hirelings Option x1

Greek Odyssey Expansion x1

Dark Depths Expansion x1

Brinewind Expansion x1

New MSP Paint Colors x1

Fan Favorites x1

I'll probably get the war machines next month. I was kinda on the fence with them but at the prices they are now, I'd be dumb not too. Other then that I think I may re-think the mouselings. I'm friend of Gene Van Horne & I'm a fan of his work but the smaller mouselings are where my loyalties lie, but I thought if I'm to give these guys a chance, why not KS price. We shall see. About the only other things I'm still looking are the townsfolk (thou I've got the first set from Wizkids(the one with the LED forge)) & I really don't use townsfolk all that much in my games. Again, KS prices. Also, maybe the busts but the 3 offered I'm not all that thrilled about, but I still like to see the bust succeed for future offerings.

• Like 11

I got the three busts for the same reason; I want to encourage Reaper to make more of them in Bones. I've never painted a bust before, I think it may be fun, but I'd rather not spend $40+ on a resin one to find out.

• Like 8

Same here as well.  Bones is an ideal medium for beginner busts for people who want to try out painting larger scale without being afraid of ruining a $50-$100 model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

I'm glad I have Dragon bust in resin, if it's in original Bones instead of Bones Black as Ron alluded to, I'd be disappointed when receiving it.

Sure hope it'll be in Bones Black, as I could have sworn that's what they were originally saying it was going to be.

Floppy regular bones would be a disappointment for something like that piece...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Given the size of the dragon bust, even in original bones, I don't see it being floppy...

Was going to mention this as well.

Having painted several bonsium dragons and knowing where the pain points are in regular bones, that bust doesn't really seem to have any of them (Wings, ankles, etc).  I guess a lot of it depends on how the detial translates to the medium but for larger scale things without long thing areas it works pretty well. 

Black would be better of course, given that busts are very seldom of any game use and are mainly a thing for pushing your skills, but I don't see bones being that bad for it.....

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Crowley said:

Given the size of the dragon bust, even in original bones, I don't see it being floppy...

Yah I do believe it was originally, one of Mal's heads. Julie swapped it for the current one.

I didn't get the Bones dragon bust, mainly cause I have the original one. I never got the lady bust in the 3 pack, when she was available at RCon ('18 I think) so at least I'd be getting all new busts. I currently have like 3 or 4 bust & one of those is the dwarf one from Reaper. Gotta love Hobbytown discontinued prices!!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

I'm glad I have Dragon bust in resin, if it's in original Bones instead of Bones Black as Ron alluded to, I'd be disappointed when receiving it.

Seconded.

And I didn't pledge for the busts, I don't like painting Elves that much, it would have been nice to have different races.

Maybe one Elf, a Succubus ( everybody wants Sophie, right?) and maybe a Human Town Guard.

Next time?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, DragonWyrm said:

I got the busts to see if I like them. Then I went and ordered a resin bust.<_< 

Well, you broke the seal.. welcome to the wonderful world of resin busts.. I'll save you a chair in the meetings

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, DragonWyrm said:

I got the busts to see if I like them. Then I went and ordered a resin bust.<_< 

As if you didn't already have an expensive enough hobby.....  

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Seconded.

And I didn't pledge for the busts, I don't like painting Elves that much, it would have been nice to have different races.

Maybe one Elf, a Succubus ( everybody wants Sophie, right?) and maybe a Human Town Guard.

Next time?

I'm hoping.  I like the one with the dragon but I'm hoping by buying several (And using them to teach some friends to paint) I can help encourage Reaper to make more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

Well, you broke the seal.. welcome to the wonderful world of resin busts.. I'll save you a chair in the meetings

I love Busts Anynomous?

Boy was I in the wrong meeting last time!

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Seconded.

Next time?

Totally makes sense to have Sophie in a Reaper KS!! (her dice don't count!)

• Like 4

On 7/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, Disciple of Sakura said:

I do this often. I got a second set of villagers in Bones 4, and swapped heads and/or arms on the second set so that no two are identical. I got 2 sets of the dire critters, and gave one set drastically different bases and/or paint schemes, as well as with the wyverns, beast skeletons, griffons, etc. I hate identical duplicates, because it's easier to track multiple models in an encounter if there's some way to differentiate them.

Brilliant! I need to do this. I have multiple sets of villagers in metal and bones. 

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

I think the issue is whether or not the Bones version will have the crisp detail that the resin does.  I know Reaper thinks Bones is just as good and their house painters can do a marvelous job with them, but I have handled some that look like they were cast in marshmallow and not plastic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2