Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

38 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Wow!  That is amazing!  Thank you for sharing this info again for those of us who missed it the first time. 

37 minutes ago, Reaper Ron said:

Gorgeous!

23 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

@kristof65, those are brilliant! 

I think I'm going to have to order more Gem Dragons now.....

Thanks.  Now to convince Ron to give me a commission on all the extra Gem Dragons that are sold today. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 14
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the picture @kristof65. I’d seen that thread before, and have purchased 5 gem dragons because of it. :poke:

Perhaps I’m misremembering from your thread, but I recall you pointing out the grey Tamiya Clear was the one color that didn’t do a great job of fully obscuring the base purple color of the shadow demon. 

Regardless, I’m happy to see that @Reaper Ron clarified the mistake, and am happy that I will be getting smokey grey shadow dragons. ::D:  Time to order another... Thanks, Ron!  I know you guys are busy. Keep on keepin’ on. 

• Like 8

I keep looking at the crocodile hybrid fish thing in the Dark Depths Expansion, and I keep wondering if its based on any prehistoric creature. From what I could find the snout, scales and tail fins are the completely wrong shape for the Crocodylomorphas that swam in the seas.

Any one know the inspiration, or will I need to do some converting.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DragonWyrm said:

I keep looking at the crocodile hybrid fish thing in the Dark Depths Expansion, and I keep wondering if its based on any prehistoric creature. From what I could find the snout, scales and tail fins are the completely wrong shape for the Crocodylomorphas that swam in the seas.

i don't know what the artist was inspired by, but i can give you some ideas of what it could pass for. naturally it's not a REAL creature, because it's just a fantasy monster, but with a bit of tweaking you could make it into a:

- Tylosaurus or other Mosasaur  (fairly decent representation other than the scales and spikes)

- Placodus (shortening the jaws)

- Ichtyosaurus (thinning the width of the jaws)

- Litorosuchus (thinning legs down and removing tail fin)

- Deinosuchus or Purussasaurus (flippers and tail are wrong)

attached a pic of Tylosaurus and the dark depths figure in question

1200px-Tylosaurus_pembinensis_1DB.jpg

23_c8cdfd25-442c-4445-ae5f-a7366507a1a5.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the help, I know most of them thought a Litorosuchus does look interesting. The problem with that sculpt is that you must either re-sculpt the legs and tail to fit a land/river Crocodylomorpha OR re-sculpt the skin, head, fins and tail to feet a sea dwelling one. 

On 8/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, Sirithiliel said:

- Ichtyosaurus (thinning the width of the jaws)

Nah, it is easier to start from scratch for a Ichtyosaurus.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, Sirithiliel said:

it's not a REAL creature, because it's just a fantasy monster,

The funny thing is; that if the artist sculpted a prehistoric animal instead, most people wouldn't notice a difference and those that did would've a nice easter egg. 

Edited by DragonWyrm
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

In the museum in my home town there used to be a cryptotaxidermied critter that was the head and body of an alligator with fins replacing the legs and tail that looked very much like this beastie.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.