Jump to content
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Don't know why, but I really love these guys...:lol:

 

I need to figure out a good way to give them all little moss hairdos. 

Image 10-10-20 at 8.14 AM.jpg

 

And i wish they had done crew for the siege engines. ::(:

Does anybody make crew models that are sold separately?

Image 10-10-20 at 8.16 AM.jpg

For the moss hair, Woodland Scenics makes ground turf for scenery that should work.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Don't know why, but I really love these guys...:lol:

 

I need to figure out a good way to give them all little moss hairdos. 

Image 10-10-20 at 8.14 AM.jpg

 

And i wish they had done crew for the siege engines. ::(:

Does anybody make crew models that are sold separately?

Image 10-10-20 at 8.16 AM.jpg

 

Someone in the twitch stream suggested that the Boulderkin ARE the crew for the catapult...as well as the ammunition.  ;)

 

-Josh

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Corsair said:

For the moss hair, Woodland Scenics makes ground turf for scenery that should work.

 

    I was thinking about that, but thought it might look too coarse for moss.  Maybe the really fine stuff would work.  I'll have to give it a try.

 

 

10 hours ago, floodllama said:

 

Someone in the twitch stream suggested that the Boulderkin ARE the crew for the catapult...as well as the ammunition.  ;)

 

-Josh

 

 

Oh, gosh I love the idea of that!  :lol:  

 

Those that survive the landing (landing on something soft and squishy ), can simply scamper back to the catapult and have another turn! 

  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

    I was thinking about that, but thought it might look too coarse for moss.  Maybe the really fine stuff would work.  I'll have to give it a try.

Just take blister foam, stick it to a glued patch, then pull it away

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lexomatic said:
6 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

    I was thinking about that, but thought it might look too coarse for moss.  Maybe the really fine stuff would work.  I'll have to give it a try.

Just take blister foam, stick it to a glued patch, then pull it away

 

 

What an interesting idea!   Have you tried this? Any pics?  

 

I assume superglue?  

 

Looking forward giving it a try.

 

 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

 

What an interesting idea!   Have you tried this? Any pics?  

 

I assume superglue?  

 

Looking forward giving it a try.

 

 

Yes. Someone did it here in a thread I've long lost(edit found).I used it on a few things including one of my zombicide minishttps://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64819-lexomatics-fall-2015-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1276025 (wanted him to relate to something specific).https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/&/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/?p=935004

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, Chris Palmer said:

need to figure out a good way to give them all little moss hairdos

Given your fear of 

22 hours ago, lexomatic said:

thought it might look too coarse for moss


Apart from all the nice ideas everyone else is giving, I will give a simple and subtle way of making moss.

 

  • Take some heavy body acrylic paint. 
  • Stipple it with an old dry brush with its hairs cut in half.
  • Repeat above step in multiple layers of greens and yellows. 

This will result in a nice subtle texture, I would highlight it by using really dark colours at the bottom layer (and letting them show through in some places). I am quiet happy in how tactile it feels when you touch it. This method also works for: rust, stone, sand, shark skin, a sharpening wheel.


If you want to increase the texture you can also:

  • Add some modelling paste (or heavy gel, though I haven't experimented with it) to the paint before stippling. (ratio decides how pronounced the texture will be)
  • Add more layers (yes, NO thin coats here. Slobber on that paint)
  • Use some sand or maybe even a Fibre paste medium. (The fibre medium has a different effect, try a dry and wet application for it)

 

Message of the day: 
Two thin coats is a lie. Texture of paint is your friend. Use it! (e.g. fabric folds, hair, fire, magic, blood, decorations, rivets, buttons, eyes)

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Yes. Someone did it here in a thread I've long lost(edit found).I used it on a few things including one of my zombicide minishttps://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64819-lexomatics-fall-2015-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1276025 (wanted him to relate to something specific).https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/&/topic/53639-baugis-basing-basics-for-beginners/?p=935004

 

1 hour ago, DragonWyrm said:

Given your fear of 


Apart from all the nice ideas everyone else is giving, I will give a simple and subtle way of making moss.

 

  • Take some heavy body acrylic paint. 
  • Stipple it with an old dry brush with its hairs cut in half.
  • Repeat above step in multiple layers of greens and yellows. 

This will result in a nice subtle texture, I would highlight it by using really dark colours at the bottom layer (and letting them show through in some places). I am quiet happy in how tactile it feels when you touch it. This method also works for: rust, stone, sand, shark skin, a sharpening wheel.


If you want to increase the texture you can also:

  • Add some modelling paste (or heavy gel, though I haven't experimented with it) to the paint before stippling. (ratio decides how pronounced the texture will be)
  • Add more layers (yes, NO thin coats here. Slobber on that paint)
  • Use some sand or maybe even a Fibre paste medium. (The fibre medium has a different effect, try a dry and wet application for it)

 

Message of the day: 
Two thin coats is a lie. Texture of paint is your friend. Use it! (e.g. fabric folds, hair, fire, magic, blood, decorations, rivets, buttons, eyes)

 

 

 

Thanks for the continued ideas!   I'm getting two sets of the Boulderkins, so should be able to do a good bit of experimenting with all these techniques.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Now considering converting the catapult and trebuchet to be able to fire Buglips-sized projectiles.

 

I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention.

 

I like the boulder-kin as ammo idea, though.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I look at my display cabinets, with mostly Bones 4 stuff sitting proud on there (Mostly painted, even!), I get this anxiety of where in hell I'm gonna let the Bones 5 stuff sit.

A feeling best described as a "What have I done?" state.

When I read this thread and see all the love for the products, it reassures me that bones 5 is gonna be amazing.

But still, my display area keeps yelping out to me!

 

Anyone recognize this mixed feeling aswell? :p 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Venun said:

Every time I look at my display cabinets, with mostly Bones 4 stuff sitting proud on there (Mostly painted, even!), I get this anxiety of where in hell I'm gonna let the Bones 5 stuff sit.

A feeling best described as a "What have I done?" state.

When I read this thread and see all the love for the products, it reassures me that bones 5 is gonna be amazing.

But still, my display area keeps yelping out to me!

 

Anyone recognize this mixed feeling aswell? :p 

 

I'm in the same boat, I have 3 large display cabinets and one small one.

There are a few minis on every shelf and then I think about my projects, what I've ordered, what I already have and what I can print.

I need a bigger house again...

Truth is, I paint slowly so when I reach that point we will be years ahead.

It's nice to be able to choose from a hoard what you like to paint.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Venun said:

Every time I look at my display cabinets, with mostly Bones 4 stuff sitting proud on there (Mostly painted, even!), I get this anxiety of where in hell I'm gonna let the Bones 5 stuff sit.

A feeling best described as a "What have I done?" state.

When I read this thread and see all the love for the products, it reassures me that bones 5 is gonna be amazing.

But still, my display area keeps yelping out to me!

 

Anyone recognize this mixed feeling aswell? :p 

 

At least you have a display area, my finished minis get wrapped up in fabric from cheap IKEA throws and are carefully placed into storage boxes and placed into the Cupboard of Completion :lol:

 

I understand the feeling though, the Bones 4 box was big enough but I'm sure that this one is going to be even larger!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...