Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Wow. Simply wow.  Great responses and including pictures, video, and great answers.  I'm intrigued by how to set my course of action.  I totally get it - take inventory ASAP. keep things together (dry fit them and mate all parts) and bag them.  Using a print out with pictures from each set is a smart move.  Numbering then sounds like a great plan, too.  I might create a spreadsheet ahead of time, which may help inventory and sort them. 

I'm intrigued by painting plan.  How do you map your colors or pick that out?  This is a step i often try to do, but what happens is, i forget the little details or small satchel is there and get flustered trying to pick a color for it.  

With this many minis coming in going to have to dig in.  I wanted to try to do a set out diorama each month.  Maybe pick a theme or use natural elements to represent each season?  Not sure.  I'm not sure i accounted for how large some of these pieces are, so that will be an interesting discovery opening the box.  I got a laugh from Ratmaster's kid fitting in the box.  I think I'm at the $600 range now so it's going to be a handful for me.  

I may need to invest in a shelving unit if some sort.  Glass shelves from Ikea look pretty nifty, so good idea there. 

All i can say is, i fully realize how amateur i am in comparison when i see all of your input.  It's great to read and ib really appreciate the help on setting expectations, both for his to approach this set and how to not be intimidated.   It's like addicts sharing their pain (or love) of something.  Good times!   

Thank you @Glitterwolf, @Kro, @Sirithiliel, @Chris Palmer, @MoonglowMinis, @Ratmaster2000, @mikem91

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, R2ED said:

Wow. Simply wow.  Great responses and including pictures, video, and great answers.  I'm intrigued by how to set my course of action.  I totally get it - take inventory ASAP. keep things together (dry fit them and mate all parts) and bag them.  Using a print out with pictures from each set is a smart move.  Numbering then sounds like a great plan, too.  I might create a spreadsheet ahead of time, which may help inventory and sort them. 

I'm intrigued by painting plan.  How do you map your colors or pick that out?  This is a step i often try to do, but what happens is, i forget the little details or small satchel is there and get flustered trying to pick a color for it.  

With this many minis coming in going to have to dig in.  I wanted to try to do a set out diorama each month.  Maybe pick a theme or use natural elements to represent each season?  Not sure.  I'm not sure i accounted for how large some of these pieces are, so that will be an interesting discovery opening the box.  I got a laugh from Ratmaster's kid fitting in the box.  I think I'm at the $600 range now so it's going to be a handful for me.  

I may need to invest in a shelving unit if some sort.  Glass shelves from Ikea look pretty nifty, so good idea there. 

All i can say is, i fully realize how amateur i am in comparison when i see all of your input.  It's great to read and ib really appreciate the help on setting expectations, both for his to approach this set and how to not be intimidated.   It's like addicts sharing their pain (or love) of something.  Good times!   

Thank you @Glitterwolf, @Kro, @Sirithiliel, @Chris Palmer, @MoonglowMinis, @Ratmaster2000, @mikem91

A goodly number of us can thank IKEA for our mini-storage and display solutions. >.>

In the end though, whatever works, works. 

• Like 5

I like to fill the tub with my Bones minis and go for a swim, Scrooge McDuck style.

Mind you, the Bones Black models can get much more hard, sharp and paintful than the older more rubbery bones classic models. Wear trunks to avoid critical hits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, R2ED said:

Choosing colors can definitely be intimidating and those pesky little satchels are a pain!

I tend to look for inspiration whether it be real-world examples in the case of animals, or similar movie characters; examples of the same or similar painted models (try searching the show off thread with a SKU), or a color palette I've seen or made online. 

Once you have some colors picked it's easy to use slight variations on the parts you're not sure about. By the time I get to the satchels I try to stick to a color I've already used on the mini.

• Like 7

Not much to add to this discussion, except for me personally, I don't think about the colours untill it's primed and standing on my workshelf.

I love the method where the colours come to me based on the moment, the mini, my feelings, the weather, whatever else influences me at that point.

Sometimes I'll have seen a cool paintjob and draw inspiration, other times i"ll look up a creature or animal for reference, other times I"ll just be like..

Well, bite me, but this piglet is Blue, not purplish. Just because he can.

Usually works out, and I surprise myself on the outcome :D 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, R2ED said:

i'm a bit weird in that certain minis will just strike a chord with me and i feel strongly that i'm going to paint it a specific color. This usually happens during the kickstarter itself when i first see the mini. These minis are usually the big ones like dragons, little guys i just wing as i get to painting them

example of one i did for Blacksting, and then the finished miniature. Top one is photoshop to plan out the color, bottom is the real one once i had it in hand to paint

Wyvern2.jpg.79608b1f0d266d417a6cc4ddfcb6426b.jpg

27B126FB-026B-48CE-BD14-825D26159A2B.jpeg.a3a7405172ce11f551130d4d40e202b3.jpeg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 15

I’m with the above, sometimes I just look at a miniature and an instant paint color scheme just pops into mind. The advantage of owning a massive collection is there is always something striking a creative chord. It’s why I also keep a variety of figures in various stages on my desk bc I might be more inclined to do a humanoid vs. a monster and vice versa. The more one paints, the more readily one can simply glance at a figure and instantly choose ideas, etc.  

• Like 8

19 hours ago, R2ED said:

"Have we anything resembling a plan?"

"Mm-hmm.  Ride til we find them, then kill paint them all."

Personally, I just kind of play it by ear (or eye, as it were).  Sometimes I'll know that I want to use a particular color to start with.  Other times I just look at what I'm about to start and wait til something "pops".

When I come across a missed satchel (pouch, additional garment layer, or realize that the mini is wearing gloves, etc.) I tend to just to use whatever I'd already been using for similar items and darken or lighten it a step.

• Like 7

Keep in mind that most people don't paint them all. 

I take everything out and look at it, and do a quick inspection for missing pieces.  

then everything gets rebagged and stuck in a tote bin 1'x2'x1' approx.   When I am done painting something it either fights for space in my small display cabinet.  Or it joins the dragons on the mantle (where My mini spawn can play with it)  or it goes in a red plastic craft box (One in picture, 5?  others in the basement. 

both cases are orderd from amazon, I order new ones (using order history) as I have filled up old ones. 

I rarely pick colors or decide what order I am going to do more od a random looking around after I finish the last thing. 

-  But I do like to finish the core set 

I  tend to do small groups (3-6) with a similar theme, 

based on what I find interesting in the moment, or for a technique I want to practice. 

I dont wash and clean them till im ready to paint, and then do prep work on the model while I consider colors.  (dragons are an exception they get more planning)  see picture 2 

I frequently look for inspirational pictures, especially for animals

Hobbyspace2020.jpg

ref2.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

In the words of the immortal Lou Costello..."I'm a baad boy."

And still three more items to go from the PM.

I'll probably end up skipping Bones VI...'cause I've got enough minis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

So, I pretty much have locked down and ordered what I wanted, but I was planning on putting in one last order. I was going to get a gem dragon because it does looks cool and another one wouldn't be a bad thing, however, I am torn on my last expansion to order. I am leaning heavily for the chronoscope set because it has more variety in it, but I still like the daimyo set because of the undead asian style figures. What does everyone think about these two? 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, strawhat said:

I'll probably end up skipping Bones VI...'cause I've got enough minis.

i'll probably go in even lighter than i did on this one (ended up not going as light as i planned on this one..)

mostly i like to get the big minis like dragons and was planning on just those. Then came dark depths...and well, i love ocean stuff. And then brinewind...

• Like 6

On 11/5/2020 at 10:05 AM, R2ED said:

With this being my first Bones investment, just kind of curious how everyone deals with getting their sets. 

Do you map out what you're building first?

Do you create plans on what you're painting? 

Are there things to be aware of while opening boxes? 

How to you go about opening all the pieces?  

Do you open them all, clean them immediately, and then store them for painting later? 

How the hell do you store this much unpainted miniatures? 

If there's missing pieces, but you don't discover until months later when you're finally putting together that model? 

So. Many. Questions. 

I honestly don't know how people who've done this before contain themselves.  This is nerve-racking waiting to see updates or if there's new adds.  There's so much i feel like i don't know or am supposed to expect, but i love it all the same.  I haven't felt this excited about something in a long time.  Having to wait for something awesome is a virtue I forget how valuable it is with the current "get it now" or "immediate gratification" world.  

...and yet i want it now.  Breathe. 

Everyone else covered this pretty extensively, but I'll still add that doing an inventory for missing figures/pieces when you get your loot is an excellent idea.

5 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

So, I pretty much have locked down and ordered what I wanted, but I was planning on putting in one last order. I was going to get a gem dragon because it does looks cool and another one wouldn't be a bad thing, however, I am torn on my last expansion to order. I am leaning heavily for the chronoscope set because it has more variety in it, but I still like the daimyo set because of the undead asian style figures. What does everyone think about these two? 

I like the Chronoscope set, and got one to encourage Reaper to make more of them.

• Like 5

Oooh! @Sirithiliel  I really appreciate the inspiration there!  I was going to go with a green lizard pallet but i was not thrilled with it.  That pops much better.  Nice job on the real deal.  I love the contrast!

I will only add to the discussion that i usually get the core set, not because i need more basic minis, but because I like to invite people to paint and having a few hundred 40 cent minis to give away when the mood strikes has always worked well for me!

I need to take one last look at the expansions and decide if i want any more of those (need is not an appropriate word here.  i dont NEED any of them...Except the dragons, exceptions are always always made for dragons and these are pretty special)

• Like 6