ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

3 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I find the "now or never" acquisition aspect is putting up a strong fight against the rational realization that I would probably only ever use it two, maybe three, times on the game table; and then it would just sit and take up (a lot of!) space.    

The fact my table top gaming is dried up to virtually nothing this past year has helped me stand firm so far, but I worry about a weak moment... 

This is also my thoughts on it. Despite how much I loved Dark Depths, I didn't go in for it in the end, or Brinewind, on account of the fact that honestly, I just don't see myself doing a lot of underwater/sea-based stuff. I'd rather spend the money on things I know will cycle through encounters way more often. It's a fair bit of cash (Canadian exchange rate p: ) to drop on things that won't go on the game table that often. And it is huge! All my current 'terrain' is in a baggie because they're all flat pieces! Where am I suppose to put it, on top of all these other minis? ::P:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StarFyre said:

the bones ship would have to sell for less than the wizkids one right? otherwise ppl would just get that one... (even though the bones one seems better)

sanjay

Less than? Maybe. Equal to? Probably.  

Remember that the WizKids one has cardboard decks, and is smaller. You can now get it painted or unpainted (IIRC, their MSRP’s are $250 and $150, but most buyers likely don’t pay that much).  Reaper could probably peg the Bones 5 pirate ship at $200 MSRP, and sell a fair bit of them.

But as Buglips pointed out, a fair bit of the market for the ship will have gotten them during the KS, so the market for such an item, at retail prices, is already diminished.  Even more so that WizKids beat them to the punch with a sizable ship, and then released an unpainted version between the end of the KS and fulfillment. All that reduces the number they might sell at retail. 

• Like 4

To add on to the pirate ship thoughts - maybe it's worth suggesting to Reaper to make the Pirate ship a "Kickstarter only" item. If it's obviously too expensive to produce for retail, then they could simply keep the files back for each Kickstarter they plan to have and have it only be available during each Kickstarter they do (since they've already confirmed Bones 6 and I'm assuming they're not stopping there?). That way, they're not producing them ahead of time and having them sit in a warehouse,  and they can simply gather up the numbers during the campaign, do a production run and sell them to backers - and if you miss, you have to wait until the next Kickstarter to grab it again.

It might also help draw more backers who aren't interested in a load of minis but WOULD like an exclusive piece of terrain. You could price it a bit higher than what people paid this time around to help cover the cost and make people who backed for it the first time feel like it still keeps their exclusive price.

• Like 8

I hadn't gone for the pirate ship - Sir Cyr and I finalized without it. Kinda wondering now if we should... we could have our bearded dragon ride on it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Aaannnddd I caved and went in for Nathavarr and the Storm Giant. They've been sitting  in my box for ages and were cuts I had made earlier. But, I'm getting the Cloud Giant (or whatever she is) from the Greek set and I felt bad getting all those other dragons and not this one.......... who can blame me. Either way, that probably is it for me; there's plenty of other things I'm interested in, but they're either a fair bit more (oh, encounters), or low enough on the priority that I don't mind waiting until retail (like the beastmen - nice, but eh at this point).

• Like 6

I locked in both versions of the pirate ship, so I'm good on that part. I enjoy using terrain in my games, so getting a ship that's slightly larger and arguably better than the Wizkids one for only $100 is a no brainer for me, personally. There will be many adventures on the seas in the years to come, so this will undoubtedly see a lot of use, even if irregularly. The rest of the time it'll be a nice display piece! :D

• Like 4

As much as I was originally excited for the pirate ship, even if finances do stabilize I nthe near future odds are I won't get it... Even with the possibility of exclusivity to just the Kickstarter.  It's just too much, and I don't have the budget for it. 

Plus... Where on earth would I put it? The other ships I've been tempted by conveniently break down into 12" sections... 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Plus... Where on earth would I put it? The other ships I've been tempted by conveniently break down into 12" sections... 

On the last Twitch stream they revealed that the two largest decks are in two parts, with a bracket on the underside to join the front and back halves. Just refrain from gluing one side of the bracket, and you could still take it apart. 

• Like 7

On 12/5/2020 at 2:25 AM, Zink said:

I liked that set until you mentioned the portcullis. Oh well, I think I can fix up something.

My imagined solution to the portcullis was to paint it spectral-fashion, a sort of ectoplasmic gateway opening to release the undead hordes. But then it really would be heading in the vignette direction, as Chris mentions. 

If I could get a good look at a print of the mounted skelly I'd probably add it to the pile, being a complete sucker for undead cavalry.

However, Friday's Reaper Twitch thing has (almost) persuaded me to get the Charnel Pit. Not only do the minis look really nice (or really horrid,  in the case of the Queen herself), but the bone pile is far more 3D than I expected, and I love the way the inside of the pit is detailed to work without it. Could easily double as a pool, giant well, a portal or a vertical entrance to a cavern or pit.  You can imagine a dragon bursting forth from its underground lair to claim the villagers' monthly sacrifice. Far more versatile piece than I had thought, as is the prisoner. Yeah, think it's almost time to dredge the very bottom of my wallet... 

Meanwhile, stuff I have already pledged like the Troll Bridge and most especially the Townsfolk look absolutely great. Thrilled with those. 

Edited by Tordelback
  • Like 7

I do wish they would post some better pics of the Charnel Pit of the Ghoul Queen. On the Twitch update it looked good enough that I just went ahead and added it to my pledge.

I'm trying to keep my hype level in check as it's still a while until things get shipped and unforseen delays are always possible, but it's hard because there are so many cool things in this kickstarter!

• Like 3

I'm already looking forward to a bones 6.  If this starts to ship in April, we'll be on schedule for a sept to Oct campaign... can't believe its been more than a year since we finished that marathon month for bones 5.

Sanjay

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

I'm already looking forward to a bones 6.  If this starts to ship in April, we'll be on schedule for a sept to Oct campaign... can't believe its been more than a year since we finished that marathon month for bones 5.

Sanjay

I agree!   It's funny, but I've been staring at pictures of the Bones 5 figures and sets now for over a year, and I find they're actually becoming a bit "same old thing".  I find I'm starting to look forward to seeing what new and exciting surprises Reaper will come up with next time to tempt me.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I agree!   It's funny, but I've been staring at pictures of the Bones 5 figures and sets now for over a year, and I find they're actually becoming a bit "same old thing".  I find I'm starting to look forward to seeing what new and exciting surprises Reaper will come up with next time to tempt me.  :lol:

if there is a bones 6, i can begin my ranting for a titan and astral dreadnought :P

sanjay

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, R2ED said:

Is there a time off year the launch of bones KS happens? 

And I JUST shut down my computer and therefore cannot get to my note with all this info. I'll share it tomorrow, but the basis of what I can remember is this; A Bones Kickstarter campaign runs for approximately a month somewhere in the Aug-Oct range, and then spends a little over a year in post-production until fulfilling in the Feb-Apr range. After fulfillment in spring, they take the summer off and launch a new one in the fall of the same year; I think we can expect Bones 6 (which I believe was confirmed in one of the twitch streams?) somewhere around September - November 2021, unless something changes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1