Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The list of items turned off in the Pledge Manager. 

* Brinewind Extras

* Demonic Temptation

* Encounter at The Dwarf King's Crypt

* Henchmen and Hirelings

* Power Up Dragonslayers

* Power Up Henchwomen

* Dragon Folk

* Rune Wights

* Yokai

* Yog-Sothoth

* Elemental Scions

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I think I have everything I am pledging for. I will give a reason for the choices:

Player Characters x1: Have a lot of civilian miniatures. A nice witch and an opportunity for OSL
Extra Gem Dragon x1: A fun challenge to paint. Also a somewhat unique sculpt. 
Townsfolk x1: I love civilian miniatures, thought these ones seemed to be more of people waiting in queue or talking together. Hope more dynamic poses come in the future (e.g. dancers, tradesmen, gymnast). A couple of the sculpts can be used as wizards, priests and  
Dragon Bust x1: Wanted a scaly bust. It can also work as a sea serpent if I want it to.
Aganzarax x1: I love the integrated base and how it fits the whole miniature. In the end this was a fight between this and the shadow dragon.
Bust Collection x1: Wanted to see if I like busts. Then I brought a Granny Weatherwax resin bust anyways, so that is kind of a moot point. They should be fun to paint. 
Option: Encounter - Shadows of Ravenhome x1: I like the miniatures that work for civilians. Plus the ruin fit with the DDS2
Dark Depths Expansion x1: Amazing sculpts and I was in a little bit of a fish painting mood. Am a little disappointed with the crocodile sculpt not being a prehistoric ocean crocodile, but modifying it a bit shouldn't be too hard. Overall an amazing set.
Brinewind Expansion x1: Townsfolk and tradesmen, what is not to love. Plus the skeletons will fit in with the ghosts from Bones 4. 
Base Boss 1" Round RPG Bases x1: Need some of them, I nearly used up all my bases from Bones 4. Mostly on non-bones models.

There are still thinks I am considering, but I will probably not get them (have been considering them for a while).

Edited by DragonWyrm
  • Like 3

I think I'm almost done. I added some more Scions, trebuchets and extra kobolds for my "War Mammoth carrying a howdah full of an entire kobold tribe" idea that I've got. The only thing that I want to add is more paint, but that'll be in January as Christmas is eating all my money at the moment.They make it on site, so I'm hoping that it'll be one of the things that isn't turned off until later. Please note that just my conjecture, not a statement of fact. 

I don't even want to think how much I've spent on this kickstarter, but it's going to be an awesome box of goodies when it finally arrives! 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

The only thing that I want to add is more paint, but that'll be in January...

Yeah, same. I’m banking on the paint and the bases not being turned off early, since Reaper makes those in-house in Texas. 

@Reaper_Jon Any idea if I’m right or wrong? Are the KS paint sets and the gaming bases in the PM, safe from being shut off early in the PM? Can we plan on them being available options right up until the closing on Jan 31st?

• Like 1

• Super Administrators
4 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Yeah, same. I’m banking on the paint and the bases not being turned off early, since Reaper makes those in-house in Texas. 

@Reaper_Jon Any idea if I’m right or wrong? Are the KS paint sets and the gaming bases in the PM, safe from being shut off early in the PM? Can we plan on them being available options right up until the closing on Jan 31st?

That is my guess, for the reasons you stated is that is dependent on our work load and not on shipping ETC for timing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Dark Depths Expansion is one of the more unusual expansion sets that I've seen in a Reaper KS.  Is anyone aware of other sources for the kind of minis found in Dark Depths other than the ones already in Reaper's catalog?  There are a good number of aquatic minis in there.

On Crow's Nest today, Michael showed off demons from Bones 5 Demonic Legion that he's painting; it's about 41 minutes in.  He even puts up a ruler.  The tall one with wings is about 1 3/4" to the top of his head, 3 1/4" to top of his wings.  The shorter one is about 1 1/2" to the top of his head.

Here's a link to the VOD:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/838638256?t=0h41m6s

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Serenity said:

The Dark Depths Expansion is one of the more unusual expansion sets that I've seen in a Reaper KS.  Is anyone aware of other sources for the kind of minis found in Dark Depths other than the ones already in Reaper's catalog?  There are a good number of aquatic minis in there.

The "lobster beholder"/fathom tyrant is an "eye of the deep" - a D&D beholder kin creature.

The slithe are D&D sahuagin, which is extra obvious with the slithe baron having four arms. (Sahuagin barons have four arms.) Priestesses are also a big thing with sahuagin.

Edited by Guyra
  • Like 3

Yep, such a great, full set. Especially if you are going to run a seafaring game, or one set in a coastal location. Merrow, Sahaugin, merfolk, the Eye Tyrant, plus all the sharks and such. Thanks to @Reaper Ron recently mentioning how much they overfilled the Dark Depths expansion, I talked myself into a second copy for myself last week. After all, I have two massive pirate ships coming my way...

I also just ordered a 4th copy of Demonic Legions last night, after seeing Proctor painting a few of them up on his Twitch show. Ron mentioned those were running low. I eagerly await my incoming Tanarukk army...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Serenity said:

Is anyone aware of other sources for the kind of minis found in Dark Depths other than the ones already in Reaper's catalog?

Antimatter Games seems to have a decent range. Including some sharks and prehistoric fish. 

But yeah, the Dark Depths expansion is amazing in what it offers. It has a consistent theme and a variety of unique and interesting sculpts. I really wish that all of reaper expansions had such a consistent theme (Cough Cough *Chronoscape* Cough Cough), with the possible exclusion of fan favourites (whose theme is being random).

Edited by DragonWyrm
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

Antimatter Games seems to have a decent range. Including some sharks and prehistoric fish. 

But yeah, the Dark Depths expansion is amazing in what it offers. It has a consistent theme and a variety of unique and interesting sculpts. I really wish that all of reaper expansions had such a consistent theme (Cough Cough *Chronoscape* Cough Cough), with the possible exclusion of fan favourites (whose theme is being random).

I got dark depths specifically for the giant, dragon, the beholder thing, nessie and the (ahem, appropriate) merfolk for my daughter to paint. The rest I'll probably pass along to someone else who wants them on one of the auction sites or through here depending. I'm odd, though, I have hundreds of painted minis and don't actually use them to play games :lol: I just love painting them and displaying them in my mini mancave in the basement.

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 5